The Student Room Group

KCL or gap year + target?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by intstud29
KCL is semi-targeted uni, and is on rise in IB&Consultancy.
To an extent this is true, but banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick. The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded. http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53928/which-university-is-best-for-breaking-into-banking/

You need to have lived here before you make sweeping judgements. There is no such thing as ' semi target '. Either the banks go there or they don't and they certainly don't go to Nottingham, Manchester or even Edinburgh.

You are an international student .
Reply 21
Original post by Zenomorph
You need to have lived here before you make sweeping judgements. There is no such thing as ' semi target '. Either the banks go there or they don't and they certainly don't go to Nottingham, Manchester or even Edinburgh.

I think you need a name change. Xenomorph suits you much better, as in xenophobe. Oh, and btw, there is such thing as a semi-target maybe you should do some research instead.
Reply 22
Original post by ukmed108
I think you need a name change. Xenomorph suits you much better, as in xenophobe. Oh, and btw, there is such thing as a semi-target maybe you should do some research instead.

No there is not.

Either the uni is targeted and the banks visit with a presentation or they don't. You don't even live here anyway what would you know ? ?
Reply 23
Original post by TheGuy117
So...say I get A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A* (Maths, FM, Physics, Economics, no STEP) should I bother taking a gap year (of pretty much doing nothing :/) and reapplying to go to Oxford, Imperial, LSE or UCL...or just go to King's? (For straight Maths, Maths with econ for LSE)...which would be better for investment banking and with these grades would I get into atleast one of these four? While we are here, how would King's be for becoming an Actuary compared to the other universities I have named?

Go to kcl, after that get a decent msc from a target uni, get cfa level II by graduation.
Reply 24
No there is not.

Either the uni is targeted and the banks visit with a presentation or they don't. You don't even live here anyway what would you know ? ?

Ok its clear you don't know what you are talking about.

You think a targeted uni is one that the banks give a presentation in? Fail...

Targeted means it is liked by employers and many of its employees went to school there.

A semi-target means its liked by employers less and some of its employees went to school there.
Reply 25

What you need to take into account is that there are many banks and they visit different campuses. So most bulge brackets will visit LSE, Oxford, Cambridge, but then some of these will not target say UCL for front office - Deutsche Bank, HSBC, BNP Paribas for example. Many more will not visit Bristol, Nottingham or Durham (and hire specifically for front office) but there will still be a fair number targeting them compared to complete non-targets such as Northumbria, Sheffield Hallam etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending