The Student Room Group

Great Gatsby help

Please help me answer two questions?

1) How does Fitzgerald tell the story in Chapter 9?

2) How appropriate is the title of the book?

Sorry abut this, and thank you so much..

Thanks again, i really do appreciate it.
One of my favorite chapters!
The way I see it, is that Fitzgerald uses this chapter as a final good-bye for Gatsby. He is dead but still he's presence is carried on because Nick wants to say good-bye with a funeral. (You could link this to structure)
The title is supported by this chapter because no one attends his funeral - no true friends but Nick so the title can reflect that Nick feels sorry for Gatsby and in the end everyone used him for the parties but he never once used someone else. You could argue that he was a bootlegger so people didn't want to be associated with him.
I think the title is linked with how Nick feels about Gatsby and the fact he goes out of his way for him in chapter 9 reflects this.

In AA (How does Fitzgerald tell the story...)
You need to write about; Form, Language & Structure.
As others have suggested, talking about setting & narrative perspective. There are many threads to help with this but a quick summary is this-
Form: retrospect. Suggests Nick is living in the past and unable to move on. Tragedy - Gatsby's dead and no one wants to go to his funeral.
Structure: Anti climax, don't really need the chapter but its there as a final good-bye to Gatsby because of Nick's obsession.
Language: Nick's poetic description of New York and a final goodbye to Long Island.
Setting: Gatsby's house (massive emphasis on Gatsby even though his dead)
Narrative: Feel sorry for Nick. Tells the reader what he'll do next. Ends the chapter still on Gatsby's garden. - I combined some of these together so things like Gatsby's garden can actually be in setting.

Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending