The Student Room Group

Is A-level phycology is?

Is A-level phycology easy and what do you do on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I wouldn't say any Alevels are easy and it depends on what exam board your course is and what topic your teachers choose to do. I find psychology interesting but there is quite abit to learn, however this has to be expected from a-levels. In the first year we did things like memory, attactment, different approaches to psychology, stress. In year two we have done schizophrenia, research methods, relationships, aggression, and eating behaviour
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you. Sounds very interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're on Edexcel, no, it is definitely not easy :frown:
Reply 4
How do you find out what exam bored a sixth form is on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Taylor ingham
How do you find out what exam bored a sixth form is on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just ask the teacher / exams officer i guess.
Most common board is AQA A i believe, the problem with psycho is that its quite a lot of stuff to remember for the exam in terms of names / studies / explanations, but out of my a levels, its definetly the most interesting!

Essays in AS arent too hard generally and can do them without too much opinions / fancy technique like in other subjects like History. I think its a nice subject and obviously many students do since its one of the most popular a level courses taken. (4th or 5th i think? correct me if im wrong)
I found it easy to understand, but hard to revise for as the workload is massive depending on your exam board. There are a lot of research studies you need to learn and critical evaluation skills need to be good to get a decent mark on your essays. It all depends on your personal strengths and figuring out the best way you learn - once you know how you revise and learn new material effectively, psychology (and many other A-level subjects) are much easier to do well in.
Original post by emilypsychology
If you're on Edexcel, no, it is definitely not easy :frown:

Edexcel psychology isn't that bad (apart from Unit 3!).
But overall psychology is so diverse and interesting learning new information is not a chore but an enjoyable experience. However the first unit would most likely be quite hard as you have would be thrown alot of dates, names and new techniques that you have never experienced before and be expected to recite perfectly to get the top grades
For people who take psychology: is it mainly essay based, or (in the exam) is there a good mix of 1-markers AND essay-style questions?
Reply 9
Original post by paulpscully
For people who take psychology: is it mainly essay based, or (in the exam) is there a good mix of 1-markers AND essay-style questions?

There is quite a range of questions in AS particularly have questions worth lower marks such as 2,4,6 and don't really have many big essay questions. A2 however has more essay style questions.
Reply 10
Original post by paulpscully

Not sure about edexcel, but on aqa there are 2-3 essay questions per paper, plus a variety of 1-5 mark short answer questions.
Original post by IndecisiveMikey
Edexcel psychology isn't that bad (apart from Unit 3!).
But overall psychology is so diverse and interesting learning new information is not a chore but an enjoyable experience. However the first unit would most likely be quite hard as you have would be thrown alot of dates, names and new techniques that you have never experienced before and be expected to recite perfectly to get the top grades

I think the content is fine even though it is very bulky. Unit 3 was awful and I didn't enjoy it at all. The exam board is harsh when it comes to marking exams. If you have read the examiners reports you will see they are very harsh when awarding marks. I just think it's incredibly hard work to do Psychology (like other subjects no doubt), I have got As in all the exams but this is only due to constant revision and practice but I'm still not 100% great at exams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending