The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yeah i thought it was pretty easy, had plenty of time. not like the physics one which was a mad rush! one question for those who've also done it today what is the inference when you dissolve the first solid? i just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.
It was just EASY and SIMPLE, good for us!!

POLL: How did you do in your EDEXCEL A2 Chemistry Practicals:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=232983
Reply 3
The Caretaker
just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.

My solid and solution were both yellow. However the salt was Fe2+ right?

Will I lose marks for writing "Possible presence of Fe3+" as the inference for the first question?
The Caretaker
yeah i thought it was pretty easy, had plenty of time. not like the physics one which was a mad rush! one question for those who've also done it today what is the inference when you dissolve the first solid? i just said it was Fe(II) cos the solid was pale green.

I think guyz your supposed to say it's a water soluble salt. There are many pale green salts.
Aburumman
I think guyz your supposed to say it's a water soluble salt. There are many pale green salts.

i mentioned all the salts that were green in colour
theunforgiven
i mentioned all the salts that were green in colour

I guess that would be right. You can't determine it was Fe2+ until you saw the dirty green ppt, thats why this test was put in use, right?
for the boiling point determination thingy i got 79 going up and 78 going down. i chose the second ester but apparently it was the first.

oh and just for interest what other salts are there that could be green in colour? i used the user guide thingy and it was only Fe(II) ions
The Caretaker
for the boiling point determination thingy i got 79 going up and 78 going down. i chose the second ester but apparently it was the first.

oh and just for interest what other salts are there that could be green in colour? i used the user guide thingy and it was only Fe(II) ions

Ni(II) is green in solution.
Reply 9
All in all, a pleasant paper. Much better than last year's AS paper IMO.
Reply 10
If I remember correctly, compound A: FeSO4; B: KCL C: Propanal D: Primary/Secondary alchohol.

Boiling temperature of E: 76-77 (approx)
hey for the temperatures do you have to measure to 0.1 of a degree cos i just wrote 79 and 78 not 79.0 and 78.0

and Ni(II) is green in solution but this was a colourless solution, it was a green solid. the only green solid on the syllabus i think
Reply 12
The Caretaker
hey for the temperatures do you have to measure to 0.1 of a degree cos i just wrote 79 and 78 not 79.0 and 78.0

I think you have to give them to 1dp
Reply 13
Compound A - which was later identified as FeSO4 - What colour was this? Shouldn't it have been either white or pale green. At our school all the samples were bright yellow and dissolved to give a bright yellow solution :mad:

If Edexcel sees consistency in all the scripts from our school, will they give marks if we initially identified it as Fe3+ (becuase it was yellow)?
Reply 14
Dimez
If I remember correctly, compound A: FeSO4; B: KCL C: Propanal D: Primary/Secondary alchohol.

Boiling temperature of E: 76-77 (approx)

Yeah, those look correct to me :biggrin:

D: butan-1-ol / butan-2-ol
b.p: Rising: 78 Falling 76 (my results)
Reply 15
The Caretaker

We can just write it as transition metal ions present.. That's wat my lec always told us to write.
Reply 16
Jean
We can just write it as transition metal ions present.. That's wat my lec always told us to write.

That's true. The mark scheme gives leeway to that which stipulated in the earlier parts of the question, since there's no way of being adament merely by dissolving the compund in distilled water.

The mark scheme also gives a list of possible TM ions, all of which are perfectly acceptable.
Reply 17
i thought planning was hard. i wrote the precipitation method i am not sure if it's right wht about u lot wht mathod did u wrote.
Reply 18
anybody know about the questions for group 3 ?????plz HELPPPPP
Reply 19
ANYONE GOT ANY IDea about tommorow's eXAM????GUYZ WHO DID IT PLZZZZ HELP ME I DNNO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

Latest