The Student Room Group

English help!

Hi all!

I'm currently studying for my GCSEs, and I am doing some English Lit work. I looked at my exam board's (WJEC) mark scheme and I'm a bit confused about exactly what I'm supposed to do.

In the highest band (4), under 'Language, structure and form', this is what is stated:

"show appreciation of how writers use language to achieve specific effects; make assured exploration and evaluation of the ways meaning, ideas and feeling are conveyed through language, structure and form; at the highest level, make assured analysis of stylistic features."

What are these 'specific effects'? Also, I don't fully understand what they mean when they talk about ideas and feelings conveyed through "structure and form", as well as "stylistic features".

Please help!!
Original post by park1996
Hi all!

I'm currently studying for my GCSEs, and I am doing some English Lit work. I looked at my exam board's (WJEC) mark scheme and I'm a bit confused about exactly what I'm supposed to do.

In the highest band (4), under 'Language, structure and form', this is what is stated:

"show appreciation of how writers use language to achieve specific effects; make assured exploration and evaluation of the ways meaning, ideas and feeling are conveyed through language, structure and form; at the highest level, make assured analysis of stylistic features."

What are these 'specific effects'? Also, I don't fully understand what they mean when they talk about ideas and feelings conveyed through "structure and form", as well as "stylistic features".

Please help!!

Hi,
I'm doing English Lit with AQA. Although I may still be able to help...
(THIS ANALYSIS IS MADE UP)

Example: Poem is about how a relationship has changed with age
Poet: Sally Narkins

Language: The most important language technique Narkins uses is a metaphor in order to convey to the reader the fundamental affect age has on relationships. He writes, '............'. From this it is clear to the readers that although the brother and sister love each other, the different experiences they have witnessed throughout their lives have forced them apart both mentally and physically. Thus, forcing the readers to confront the injust idea that time will damage their relationships too. The metaphor creates the specific effect of conveying the idea that time forces people apart

Structure: The use of irregular stanzas helps Narkins convey the critical idea that at a young age we have much more in common with one another, yet as we grow older our experiences change us and force differences to be created betwen us, witht the enjambment emphasising to the reader the separation between the brother and sister has increased with age.

Form: Traditional Sonnet Structure, etc (can't think of anymore:colondollar:)
Stylistic devices: Simile, alliteration, etc: pick out the most important and relevant techniques to your interpretation and evaluate why they support it

Feel free to PM me if I have confused you or misinterpretated the question:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EvasiveRose
Hi,
I'm doing English Lit with AQA. Although I may still be able to help...
(THIS ANALYSIS IS MADE UP)

Example: Poem is about how a relationship has changed with age
Poet: Sally Narkins

Language: The most important language technique Narkins uses is a metaphor in order to convey to the reader the fundamental affect age has on relationships. He writes, '............'. From this it is clear to the readers that although the brother and sister love each other, the different experiences they have witnessed throughout their lives have forced them apart both mentally and physically. Thus, forcing the readers to confront the injust idea that time will damage their relationships too. The metaphor creates the specific effect of conveying the idea that time forces people apart

Structure: The use of irregular stanzas helps Narkins convey the critical idea that at a young age we have much more in common with one another, yet as we grow older our experiences change us and force differences to be created betwen us, witht the enjambment emphasising to the reader the separation between the brother and sister has increased with age.

Form: Traditional Sonnet Structure, etc (can't think of anymore:colondollar:)
Stylistic devices: Simile, alliteration, etc: pick out the most important and relevant techniques to your interpretation and evaluate why they support it

Feel free to PM me if I have confused you or misinterpretated the question:smile:

Thank you so much! You are a life-saver!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending