The Student Room Group

Wimbledon Prize Money Now Equal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by minimarshmallow
It was probably a poor choice of words :smile:
More like she can get more medical time outs because before the rules were changed she was fine, but now we've changed the rules that's hurting her and that shouldn't be happening.
Seems like she's almost being victimised if the changes won't really affect anyone else (which I think they won't) but they will affect her.

Come on, some people would gain from such a rule change, some would lose out. You're seriously suggesting that of all the people in the world that have niggling injuries, have minor medical conditions, aren't as fit for whatever reason, that we should make just one exception? That's crazy. It would never happen.

I don't think that rule change is going to happen any time soon though anyway - Venus will be long gone.

Original post by Drewski
No, it would just turn into a mens' tournament. All but the 2 or 3 best women would be beaten by men ranked well into the 30s and 40s in the world, especially over 5 sets..

I think you underestimate the gender gap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by nexttime

Skill-wise; no, they're on a much more equal a footing.

But power? It's not close. Even at their strongest and freshest, women can't hit the ball as fast. Their groundstrokes aren't as fast and their serves aren't as fast. And that's at minute 1 of the match. Roll the clock forward 3 hours when we're into the 4th or 5th set and men are still firing down the 130+mph serves. We see it in mixed double's matches; the men essentially 'pick' on the women as the weak link because for all their undoubted skill, they simply don't have the same power and strength levels.
Absolutely ridiculous. They want same pay ? Play best of 5 sets then...
Reply 43
Original post by Malevolent
Absolutely ridiculous. They want same pay ? Play best of 5 sets then...

Even then it wouldn't be fair as the men's game would continue to generate far more money.
Reply 44
Original post by nexttime

Quite, I think it was Andy Murray who said that the top ranked woman wouldn’t even break into the top 1000 of the mens rankings. I think he was probably right.
I understand why, for the majority of the tournament, woman play 3 sets. It helps with scheduling issues, allows more matches to be played on the show courts, and generally people are less interested in watching womens tennis compared to mens tennis.

However, I do think that they should move to 5-set in the second week, at least for the semi finals and finals, where the issues discussed above are less relevant. IIRC there was a set in the mens final a few years ago that lasted around the same time as the entire womans final, that should be changed
Original post by thegaffer91
I understand why, for the majority of the tournament, woman play 3 sets. It helps with scheduling issues, allows more matches to be played on the show courts, and generally people are less interested in watching womens tennis compared to mens tennis.

However, I do think that they should move to 5-set in the second week, at least for the semi finals and finals, where the issues discussed above are less relevant. IIRC there was a set in the mens final a few years ago that lasted around the same time as the entire womans final, that should be changed

That was Isner Mahut wasn't it and even then that last almost 8 hours haha
Reply 47
Original post by Nichrome
Quite, I think it was Andy Murray who said that the top ranked woman wouldn’t even break into the top 1000 of the mens rankings. I think he was probably right.

Have you seen the documented men vs women matches? Some of them are quite funny. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)
I think in general 3-setters are utterly boring, whether that's men or women playing. A match could end in 45 minutes like so :/

I think women should play 5 setters. I'm sure Venus, Serena and Sharapova would like to play 5.
Reply 49
Ugh... the state of women's tennis is just appalling. If they increase it to best of 5 sets, we'll have to endure more torture (not to mention more grunts from the likes of Sharapova and Azarenka). That said, I don't think it is fair that men and women play different amounts but get paid same amounts. I don't see this quite fair.

Also, men's tennis is more gruesome and more tiresome. Just look at the competition!
It's a prize, not a wage. I don't see why the number of sets is relevant, really. Or maybe I just don't care. Point is you get the prize depending on if you win, not depending on how long you played.
Reply 51
Original post by pane123
Even then it wouldn't be fair as the men's game would continue to generate far more money.

Men's games generate more money anyway, you can't blame people for wanting to watch men's over women's for being more interesting.

Original post by KalSA
Ugh... the state of women's tennis is just appalling. If they increase it to best of 5 sets, we'll have to endure more torture (not to mention more grunts from the likes of Sharapova and Azarenka). That said, I don't think it is fair that men and women play different amounts but get paid same amounts. I don't see this quite fair.

Also, men's tennis is more gruesome and more tiresome. Just look at the competition!

I don't think they grunt, they just sort of give off half-hearted sighs that sound really high pitched.

Original post by Captain Haddock
It's a prize, not a wage. I don't see why the number of sets is relevant, really. Or maybe I just don't care. Point is you get the prize depending on if you win, not depending on how long you played.

For someone who acts as a white knight in the field of feminism, you're quite quick to not give a **** when it comes to the principle of equality when it concerns a woman having to do more to be equal. The number of sets should be relevant to the prize money, if women want to have the same prize money then they should fight the same fight.
Reply 52
They are all paid too much is the short answer.

The longer answer is that these players are not Mcdonald's workers, they are not paid by the hour. If a men's game only went to 3 sets, they wouldn't be paid less. Similarly, if a women's game goes on forever, they are not paid more. They are paid for participation in a competition / piece of entertainment. That is why the pay is the same.

However I would be interested to see what female tennis players would think of playing 5 sets?
Original post by abc:)

The longer answer is that these players are not Mcdonald's workers, they are not paid by the hour. If a men's game only went to 3 sets, they wouldn't be paid less. Similarly, if a women's game goes on forever, they are not paid more. They are paid for participation in a competition / piece of entertainment. That is why the pay is the same.

However I would be interested to see what female tennis players would think of playing 5 sets?

Most likely they would say no the quality of tennis would deteriorate so much.
Reply 54

I don't think they are paid too much.

The prize money has to come from somewhere, and the women's game doesn't generate as much revenue as the men's. For that reason, the men's prize money should be higher.
Reply 55
Original post by Kiss
Men's games generate more money anyway, you can't blame people for wanting to watch men's over women's for being more interesting.

You have just repeated my point.
Original post by Kiss

For someone who acts as a white knight in the field of feminism, you're quite quick to not give a **** when it comes to the principle of equality when it concerns a woman having to do more to be equal. The number of sets should be relevant to the prize money, if women want to have the same prize money then they should fight the same fight.

Well this isn't exactly an example of extreme oppression, is it? It's a bloody prize, just let them have it. It doesn't matter. Don't let it bring you down, cupcake.

Also this:

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson
I think that women should now play 5 sets if the pay is equal. Otherwise Men have to work harder for the same reward. As it stands they are equal on the surface (in wages), but in terms of the work and effort needed, Men have to work harder in comparison.

Well, their matches may be longer and therefore demanding, but the amount of work that both genders have to put in to reach the top of the game is the same, they both face the same grind throughout the years to get to the elite level.
Reply 58
Original post by Captain Haddock
Well this isn't exactly an example of extreme oppression, is it? It's a bloody prize, just let them have it. It doesn't matter. Don't let it bring you down, cupcake.

No, just one of many double standards you love to ignore and downplay whenever it affects men. Of course it matters, if you don't care about the principle of equality when it gives women a free ride then you don't care about it at all. You really are the epitome of hypocrite :wink:
Original post by Kiss
No, just one of many double standards you love to ignore and downplay whenever it affects men. Of course it matters, if you don't care about the principle of equality when it gives women a free ride then you don't care about it at all. You really are the epitome of hypocrite :wink:

Yes this extreme inequality where one woman a year gets given the same prize as a man. What an unfair world we live in. When will women wake up to their privilege?

A best of three could theoretically last just as long or even longer than a best of five. Fewer sets does not necessarily mean less effort. If fairness is the issue then why not change the prize according to how many sets are actually played? Or how many games are played. Or just how long the match lasts. And the answer is because it's a prize, not a wage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending