The Student Room Group

How effective is Parliament in scrutinizing the work of the executive?

Hey,

I am doing Edexcel Government and Politics and need help on this essay question. I know what to discuss in the essay but don't know what to write in the introduction. Would I have to give a clear answer like 'effective to a great extent' or 'not very effective' or do i say something like 'while Parliament has a variety of effective ways to scrutinize government power, there are limitations'?

Would really appreciate some help :smile:

Thanks
Original post by cakefreak
Hey,

I am doing Edexcel Government and Politics and need help on this essay question. I know what to discuss in the essay but don't know what to write in the introduction. Would I have to give a clear answer like 'effective to a great extent' or 'not very effective' or do i say something like 'while Parliament has a variety of effective ways to scrutinize government power, there are limitations'?

Would really appreciate some help :smile:

Thanks

Something like

"Perhaps the most important theoretical foundation upon which modern democracies are constructed is that of a separation of powers between the three main branches of government. However, in the UK system of parliamentary government, whereby there is a distinct fusion of powers between the executive and legislature in a scenario labelled as an elective dictatorship by Lord Hailsham in 1979, the roles, powers and functions of each branch have become blurred. Certainly, while commentators are in agreement that parliament has a distinct scrutinising role, they are in disagreement over how effectively parliament fulfils this role - a debate caused in no small part by the inherent fusion of powers within the British political system and a number of other restraints upon parliament which hinder their ability to scrutinise the Executive."

I typed on phone so might have some mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GeneralStudent95
Something like

"Perhaps the most important theoretical foundation upon which modern democracies are constructed is that of a separation of powers between the three main branches of government. However, in the UK system of parliamentary government, whereby there is a distinct fusion of powers between the executive and legislature in a scenario labelled as an elective dictatorship by Lord Hailsham in 1979, the roles, powers and functions of each branch have become blurred. Certainly, while commentators are in agreement that parliament has a distinct scrutinising role, they are in disagreement over how effectively parliament fulfils this role - a debate caused in no small part by the inherent fusion of powers within the British political system and a number of other restraints upon parliament which hinder their ability to scrutinise the Executive."

I typed on phone so might have some mistakes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending