The Student Room Group

Need help choosing my final A Level

Hello, i'm 16 and i'm about to go to sixth form at the start of next year and i need help choosing my final option. So far i have decided that i am taking English Literature, History & Sociology. The final option is going to be between Philosophy & Psycology. Any information about either subject would help me greatly, and i would just like to point out that i did not study either one at GCSE. I am also slightly worried about how 'Science based' Psycology is because i dont really like Science. I am still getting B's in the subjectand i'm not bad at it, but i find most things uninteresting and boring. I do not really have much information on Philosophy because none of my friends have done it at GCSE or my older friends at A level. I definately intend on going to University, and possibly study Law, so which would be more suitable? That is not definate though! And answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I'd say philosophy out of the two, I think however you should consider throwing in a quantitative subject such as maths. But that's just my oppinion
You already have the subjects preferred for law so either one would be fine to take. You can ask to see whether you could have taster lessons to see which subject you would enjoy more or read up on what you would do at AS to see which is more interesting to you.
Reply 3
im working towards the same career, my combination is history, english, business and PSYCHOLOGY.
psychology is very interesting if you're into wider reading and drifting abit towards health. I think it spreads your knowledge.
youll probably do stuff like stress, memory, abnormality, anxiety, stuff that people deal with everyday•its great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jubb
Hello, i'm 16 and i'm about to go to sixth form at the start of next year and i need help choosing my final option. So far i have decided that i am taking English Literature, History & Sociology. The final option is going to be between Philosophy & Psycology. Any information about either subject would help me greatly, and i would just like to point out that i did not study either one at GCSE. I am also slightly worried about how 'Science based' Psycology is because i dont really like Science. I am still getting B's in the subjectand i'm not bad at it, but i find most things uninteresting and boring. I do not really have much information on Philosophy because none of my friends have done it at GCSE or my older friends at A level. I definately intend on going to University, and possibly study Law, so which would be more suitable? That is not definate though! And answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're not a big science fan then I'd say go with philosophy.

Either would be useful and give you a different insight into legal issues but psychology A level does contain a fair bit of science (and is well known among universities as having content/work that is closer to the way science is studied at degree level than bio/chem/physics is at A level).

So if you're not enjoying science then it's probably a better idea to avoid psych and go with philosophy.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the help and replies, but im still uncertain on which one to pick. I have organized an interview with my head of sixth to hear her ideas, but any further information will be greatly appreciated. (Especially if you have taken one of, or both subjects in A level.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest