The Student Room Group

Need help picking my final A Level

Hello, i'm 16 and i'm about to go to sixth form at the start of next year and i need help choosing my final option. So far i have decided that i am taking English Literature, History & Sociology. The final option is going to be between Philosophy & Psycology. Any information about either subject would help me greatly, and i would just like to point out that i did not study either one at GCSE. I am also slightly worried about how 'Science based' Psycology is because i dont really like Science. I am still getting B's in the subjectand i'm not bad at it, but i find most things uninteresting and boring. I do not really have much information on Philosophy because none of my friends have done it at GCSE or my older friends at A level. I definately intend on going to University, and possibly study Law, so which would be more suitable? That is not definate though! And answers would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I would suggest philosophy to be a better subject than psychology
A career in law does not require knowledge of science as such, and tbh psychology involves a lot of biology.
Philosophy works well with law, some of my friends do it at a level and say it is very interesting and works very well with sociology... So Id say by adding philosophy to the combination you have already, a clear pathway towards law will emerge:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's all opinion tbh, some people will say Psychology is the better subject but others will say Philosophy. I do Psychology A (AQA) and I really enjoy it :smile:

Not going to tell you which one is "better" but I bet they are both decent subjects. Just look into them and see which one you prefer.
Reply 3
Thanks for all the help and replies, I'm leaning slightly towards Philosophy atm. But, i have organized an interview with my head of sixth to hear her ideas, but any further information will be greatly appreciated. (Especially if you have taken one of, or both subjects in A level.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest