The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Switching course at LSE

Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, how did you go about it and how easy was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I'm an offer holder right now, and if I make the offer I want to change my degree from Business Math and Stats to Stats and Finance. I emailed lse about it, and within the department its quite easy according to them if your grades are alright.

If its different departments, it depends on how many of the same courses you've taken, your performance in them and no. of students already in the course (its a lot harder than intra-departmental switches), plus it depends on the competitiveness of the course you want to switch into.

They don't let you transfer right away, its done at the end of the first year from what I was told.

Couple of links that I came across while finding out details about this issue that you may find useful, the studentroom threads have advice from current LSE students on the issue.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/registrationTimetablesAssessment/RegulationsAndPolicies/problems/change.aspx

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2308837

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1969181
Reply 3
I went from Business Maths and Stats to Maths and Economics - it was very easy since I did all the 1st year Maths and Econ modules. My friend wanted to go from Philosophy and Econ to Maths and Econ - he didn't take all the 1st year modules but they made him a conditional offer (something like he needs 70% in MA100).

Switching into Economics is quite popular - they make conditional offers that you need 70% in Econ B, one of MA100/ST102 and 60% in other modules (I think).

Generally, switching in 1st year is difficult for admin reasons mostly, but switching just before 2nd year is not too bad, but it does in theory depend on the availability in each course.

Switching to a course in the same dept is a lot easier since you only need to talk to 1 person and usually courses within the same dept have a common 1st year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Swayum
I went from Business Maths and Stats to Maths and Economics - it was very easy since I did all the 1st year Maths and Econ modules. My friend wanted to go from Philosophy and Econ to Maths and Econ - he didn't take all the 1st year modules but they made him a conditional offer (something like he needs 70% in MA100).

Switching into Economics is quite popular - they make conditional offers that you need 70% in Econ B, one of MA100/ST102 and 60% in other modules (I think).

Generally, switching in 1st year is difficult for admin reasons mostly, but switching just before 2nd year is not too bad, but it does in theory depend on the availability in each course.

Switching to a course in the same dept is a lot easier since you only need to talk to 1 person and usually courses within the same dept have a common 1st year.

Thank you to both of you.

When do you go about starting the process? When you get there or later on in the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending