The Student Room Group

Is it normal to feel nervous when driving?

Hi,

I've had about 16 lessons now and I feel nervous, even though there is a driving instructor next to me.

I like the instructor I am with, because he is punctual and much better than the one I had before.

I still have to learn parallel parking; reversing round the corner; bay parking.

I have yet to have taken the theory test, which isn't great because I can't do much without that.

I have stalled my car a few times, I just move off a bit slowly. It's roundabouts that scare me because you have to be so quick, and because I stall my engine, I get nervous.

Is it normal to feel nervous when learning to drive, because if it is I may have to stop.
Nerves mean you're taking it seriously, in my view.

Ask your instructor how you can try to manage your nervousness.
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I've had about 16 lessons now and I feel nervous, even though there is a driving instructor next to me.

I like the instructor I am with, because he is punctual and much better than the one I had before.

I still have to learn parallel parking; reversing round the corner; bay parking.

I have yet to have taken the theory test, which isn't great because I can't do much without that.

I have stalled my car a few times, I just move off a bit slowly. It's roundabouts that scare me because you have to be so quick, and because I stall my engine, I get nervous.

Is it normal to feel nervous when learning to drive, because if it is I may have to stop.

no, you will just get used to it overtime once u get more confident
Reply 3
Nerves are completely normal. Heck, even when I'd passed and had been driving for a few years, there was a nasty roundabout not far from me that still made me nervous. Can you chat to your instructor about how you feel? He's probably helped plenty of nervous people so can hopefully help you deal with it. But don't worry, it IS normal to be nervous! It's something you'll overcome as you drive around - you do learn a lot once you've passed your test, too.
Reply 4
I've had about a dozen lessons and each one is spent in a sea of adrenaline and nervous tension!

Hopefully it will pass with experience :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the reassurance.

Most people my age can drive and that motivates me.
Reply 6
I was doing so well today for some reason.

Even my instructor admitted that I was ready for the test.

However, towards the end of the lesson, I stalled my car 8 times! Yes, 8 times on the roundabout. Was so so so embarrasing and I have lost confidence.

What can I do?
I feel fairly confident when in the car. My test is next week and I'll be doing it first time.

Generally, driving relaxes me, this may sound odd, but maybe because I enjoy racing cars/racing games/F1 :teehee: which is why I enjoy a casual drive.
Reply 8
I've been driving for a month now and still get nervous (and have the occasional stall, shh!!) I think nerves are good, (as long as you don't panic) as it shows you take seriously the dangers associated with driving. Everytime I've gotten overconfident I've made a mistake, so I embrace the nerves :P I was a VERY nervous learner, but managed to pass first time so have faith in yourself :smile:
Reply 9
my friends who have passed their tests all say they're confident now. I think you're always going to be nervous at first, it makes you wary of what's going on. Anticipating what people are going to do when.

Take it as a good thing. :smile:
Original post by po10tial
I was doing so well today for some reason.

Even my instructor admitted that I was ready for the test.

However, towards the end of the lesson, I stalled my car 8 times! Yes, 8 times on the roundabout. Was so so so embarrasing and I have lost confidence.

What can I do?

Don't dwell on it. The majority of learners stall, multiple times. You probably felt pressured with every time you stalled and that made you feel flustered? It's fine honestly, everyone stalls. I stalled today and I passed my test back in December. :oops:
I think it very natural to feel nervous, confidence comes with practice and experience, so don't let your nerves effect you too much, focus on the positives and don't dwell on things that could have gone better, learn from them and reflect on them instead

I was awfully nervous on my first couple of lessons, i used to wish my instructor wouldn't turn up :') haha, but after a few i really loved my lessons, it was the highlight of my week haha.
I used to get so nervous before and during every lesson, to the point where I nearly cancelled them all the time and hated it! But stick at it and you'll become more confident! :h:
No it isn't normal, nobody in history has ever felt nervous while learning to drive...
I still get nervous when I drive, and i've been driving a year. I'm fine going to college as it's just the same old route, but if it's going to a place that I don't know then i'm nervous.

I also get nervous taking my parents out, as they seem to have an amazing ability to tell me everything I did wrong in their opinion.
Original post by nadiah
Everytime I've gotten overconfident I've made a mistake,

I found this too. I'd be driving along a road thinking 'I'm quite good at this driving lark now' and then i'd make a mistake at the next roundabout or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending