The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Motorbiker
I heard about this one since i entered last year and follow the gym on facebook.

Oh and the specifics, not yet. Registration will be up this week but you can see the events from last year on the old event page so know roughly what's coming. There's gonna be car deadlift again. :biggrin:

How do the handles differ on the car deadlift frame to a trap bar?
Trap bar's too thin for my liking :frown:
Reply 41
Original post by Motorbiker
I heard about this one since i entered last year and follow the gym on facebook.

Oh and the specifics, not yet. Registration will be up this week but you can see the events from last year on the old event page so know roughly what's coming. There's gonna be car deadlift again. :biggrin:

Way to one-up me/everyone. :tongue:

What competition specifically is it? European Championships?

Try and meet Zoe Smith and grab me an Autograph if she's there.

Lol no, I wish. It's just a competition organised every year by the dad of a guy from my club (he's half French). Europeans were a month ago.
Original post by danadd9
How do the handles differ on the car deadlift frame to a trap bar?
Trap bar's too thin for my liking :frown:

Urm, it was a year ago but i think they were about the same as a normal bar. Slightly thicker than a standard trap bar.

Original post by Becca
Lol no, I wish. It's just a competition organised every year by the dad of a guy from my club (he's half French). Europeans were a month ago.

Ahhhh, kk. Was all excited for a second.
Reply 43
Anyone have any recommendations for exercises you can do with DB's for chest that don't require a bench? Stuck with my 85kg DB set until after exams when I can try scoop the money together for the gym.
Original post by Idle
Anyone have any recommendations for exercises you can do with DB's for chest that don't require a bench? Stuck with my 85kg DB set until after exams when I can try scoop the money together for the gym.

Could you do DB bench and flies on the floor? It's not ideal but its better than nothing. Also I'm sure you could make some homemade form of bench, just put a couple of stools together or something?
Reply 45
Anyone know any good gyms around west hampstead, London, for a month for a so's membership. £100.00 at virgin active/LA fitness is fckin rediculous
Hey guys, have any of you had any forearm related problems?

Every time I finish a set of pretty much anything from deads/ rows/ benching but mostly curling, as soon as I put the weight down I get a really sharp pain through my foreams and it'll still be hurting after the session.
Like now if I press against the middle of my forearm (between the muscle and bone) it feels kinda of bruised, any advice of what to do or what it could be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds like you need to rest for a bit. Often these niggles just need rest and recuperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
Sounds like you need to rest for a bit. Often these niggles just need rest and recuperation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Rest? Nooooooooo :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Yeah I get that when I curl or move heavy **** in work.
Both of us should probably get it seen to.
Reply 50
Original post by AreebWithaHat
Could you do DB bench and flies on the floor? It's not ideal but its better than nothing. Also I'm sure you could make some homemade form of bench, just put a couple of stools together or something?

I'll have to give it a shot, cheers :smile:
I'm sick of conventional DL's feeling dodgy on my back, so on my DL day I'll be doing sumo deads instead. Should I add any other assistance work, to work on areas I might be missing with conventional DL's?

I was thinking of adding back hyperextensions especially as I squat high bar as well..
Reply 52
I'm sick of conventional DL's feeling dodgy on my back, so on my DL day I'll be doing sumo deads instead. Should I add any other assistance work, to work on areas I might be missing with conventional DL's?

I was thinking of adding back hyperextensions especially as I squat high bar as well..

Why does it feel dodgy on your back? Where on your back does it feel like that?

Anyway, you're right in adding hypers: for me, my hips hamstrings and medial thighs seem to take precedent for sumo DLs. I'd add Good Mornings, but don't go heavy on them. Do something light, but controlled, and high rep. 3x12 or something. Any back work will be good if you're squatting high bar. Squatting high bar puts a lot of stress on my abs compared to regular low bar squatting anyway, so you want to avoid your abs being too strong relative to your lower back.

Edit: and SGSLDL (snatch grip stiff legged deadlift, quite a mouthful :tongue:) are GREAT for nailing pretty much your entire posterior chain.

Original post by Idle
I'll have to give it a shot, cheers :smile:

Floor presses! Although you could lie on a couple of chairs or something and do 1-armed dumbbell press too, I guess, but I wouldn't like to do that. I'd also recommend (weighted) push ups for pretty much everyone for dat dere serratus work, so there's that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JordanR
Why does it feel dodgy on your back? Where on your back does it feel like that?

Anyway, you're right in adding hypers: for me, my hips hamstrings and medial thighs seem to take precedent for sumo DLs. I'd add Good Mornings, but don't go heavy on them. Do something light, but controlled, and high rep. 3x12 or something. Any back work will be good if you're squatting high bar. Squatting high bar puts a lot of stress on my abs compared to regular low bar squatting anyway, so you want to avoid your abs being too strong relative to your lower back.

Edit: and SGSLDL (snatch grip stiff legged deadlift, quite a mouthful :tongue:) are GREAT for nailing pretty much your entire posterior chain.

Floor presses! Although you could lie on a couple of chairs or something and do 1-armed dumbbell press too, I guess, but I wouldn't like to do that. I'd also recommend (weighted) push ups for pretty much everyone for dat dere serratus work, so there's that.

On my lower back, I just can't seem to get it locked in place properly. Also my posterior chain is *******s compared to my quads, so I want to switch to sumo as it uses more of the hips, I think? And thanks, I'll give those a try!
Reply 54
On my lower back, I just can't seem to get it locked in place properly. Also my posterior chain is *******s compared to my quads, so I want to switch to sumo as it uses more of the hips, I think? And thanks, I'll give those a try!

Sumo definitely uses hips a crapload more. A lot of people pull sumo if they've got back injuries (or are very tall). I imagine your posterior chain is pretty bad if you're not squatting low bar and doing some assistance work! Careful with your posture for this. IMO you can't make your posterior chain too strong (same with all of your back), but quads being forced to be too tight through muscle imbalance could lead to some pelvic tilt.

RDLs mate. Posterior chain amazingness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JordanR
Sumo definitely uses hips a crapload more. A lot of people pull sumo if they've got back injuries (or are very tall). I imagine your posterior chain is pretty bad if you're not squatting low bar and doing some assistance work! Careful with your posture for this. IMO you can't make your posterior chain too strong (same with all of your back), but quads being forced to be too tight through muscle imbalance could lead to some pelvic tilt.

Well up till now I was doing high bar squats and conventional DL, and no assistance work on top. I had rounded shoulders as well before, but I did focus on some back work and sorted that out.

Now that you mention it, I think I might have some form of pelvic tilt. It becomes especially noticeable when walking up a hill as my torso leans forward, my ass sticks out and I use my quads a lot.

So looks like the focus will be my hammies, glutes and lower back for the next few months!
Original post by silent ninja
RDLs mate. Posterior chain amazingness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I used to do them but quit for some reason, I'm thinking of doing sumo's as the main movement then these for assistance.
Reply 58
Well up till now I was doing high bar squats and conventional DL, and no assistance work on top. I had rounded shoulders as well before, but I did focus on some back work and sorted that out.

Now that you mention it, I think I might have some form of pelvic tilt. It becomes especially noticeable when walking up a hill as my torso leans forward, my ass sticks out and I use my quads a lot.

So looks like the focus will be my hammies, glutes and lower back for the next few months!

Damn, that's a recipe for postural nightmare! Although conventional deads should hit your posterior chain pretty hard anyway. If you're not doing them already, then I'd definitely recommend doing some face pulls as assistance work every day. Really great for shoulder health and stops the anterior deltoid from being completely dominant. Program them in in extremely high rep/volume, do like 5x15. I've been doing them recently and my shoulders and upper back have never felt better.

Read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/ewrr0/writeup_on_the_dreaded_anterior_pelvic_tilt_or/ which is great for pelvic tilt. You can pretty much see whether you've got anterior pelvic tilt by "thrusting" like you're gonna thrust into a woman/man/animal/whatever you like and seeing if that improves your posture. But it definitely sounds like you've got it a little bit, which may be why you're having problems getting your lower back in place for deadlifts.
Yeah I used to do them but quit for some reason, I'm thinking of doing sumo's as the main movement then these for assistance.

Keep the bar close to the body, knees slightly bent. Try like only 40kgx10 then tell me about those crazy DOMS. Gets me every time. Speed deadlifts in triples are good fun too. There's lots to do for the posterior chain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest