The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Join us on the dark side with the CGBP.
CGBP is love, CGBP is life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
> We could all call out everyone

Costrochondritis is caused by the seperation of the sternum due to forces applied at the bottom of a dip. Builds up over time and causes sternums to break
It's very common

Imo if you ignore Blahas posturing and egoisms, his advice for the most part is pretty sound. If you want to go to the cutting edges of research though; reading pubmed would be a better source; I agree.

>we couldn't call out Mark Rippletoe, who is love and life and everything. (jakes).

But you see what I mean - how is a newcomer to exercise meant to know what's "posturing" from Blaha and what's sound advice? I don't know jack about dips, so for me, how am I meant to believe a claim like "if you get pain during dips, you should never do another dip again in your life."? I've done a whopping 5 minutes of Googling, and unfortunately can't find a reliable source saying the same. :tongue: I'd need extraordinary evidence about lifetime risk, and not postulation's from Blaha about chest wall architecture and leverages before I'm like "yes, that sounds completely true".

I don't deny that dips can lead to broken sternums, ribs, or costochondritis. Any movements that involves muscles attached to any bony structure poses that risk. Rowers get stress fractures in their ribs because their serratus anterior is engaged when keeping their shoulder blades tight to their body! But to say just because you get pain during weighted dips means you should never do a single dip again is silly. Getting medial tibial stress syndrome doesn't mean I should never run again; it means I should learn how to run better. :smile:
Funny how a while back jason made a vid on how he would never ever do a keto diet and here he now is doing one lol. If you're just lifting I think keto is fine if you adapt properly. You don't use that many carbs in even the most grueling weight training workouts.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
>we couldn't call out Mark Rippletoe, who is love and life and everything. (jakes).

I know you're joking; however oly lifters hate his clean technique from what I see on different groups and forums

But you see what I mean - how is a newcomer to exercise meant to know what's "posturing" from Blaha and what's sound advice? I don't know jack about dips, so for me, how am I meant to believe a claim like "if you get pain during dips, you should never do another dip again in your life."? I've done a whopping 5 minutes of Googling, and unfortunately can't find a reliable source saying the same. :tongue: I'd need extraordinary evidence about lifetime risk, and not postulation's from Blaha about chest wall architecture and leverages before I'm like "yes, that sounds completely true".

I don't deny that dips can lead to broken sternums, ribs, or costochondritis. Any movements that involves muscles attached to any bony structure poses that risk. Rowers get stress fractures in their ribs because their serratus anterior is engaged when keeping their shoulder blades tight to their body! But to say just because you get pain during weighted dips means you should never do a single dip again is silly. Getting medial tibial stress syndrome doesn't mean I should never run again; it means I should learn how to run better. :smile:

If you watch his FAQs - that's the sound advice for the most part. The rest of it - meh pick and choose. There's my advice. :tongue:

Whilst I agree that life might be an over exaggeration - the point stands.... stop. And tbh if you're causing inflammation in your sternum from it when there's 10 dozen exercises that will achieve exactly the same thing - why bother. There was an elite fts or similar article on it; however I can't find it. Some people seem to find doing them more upright reduces the pain - however on that same note there's horror stories of people doing them more upright and banana splitting their sternums :s-smilie:

Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
Funny how a while back jason made a vid on how he would never ever do a keto diet and here he now is doing one lol. If you're just lifting I think keto is fine if you adapt properly. You don't use that many carbs in even the most grueling weight training workouts.

Aye loled at his veganism reversal as well post divorce.
Posterior chain, Deadlifts and low bar Squats. Programed to allow recovery between sessions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by illusionz
Join us on the dark side with the CGBP.

Original post by Squirb
CGBP is love, CGBP is life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question, would having comparatively weak shoulders to triceps limit the effect of CGBP on the triceps?

I never felt like it helped much, but I started training shoulders slightly later than triceps due to an injury, so I feel like that may have been bottlenecking it?
Original post by spleenharvester
Question, would having comparatively weak shoulders to triceps limit the effect of CGBP on the triceps?

I never felt like it helped much, but I started training shoulders slightly later than triceps due to an injury, so I feel like that may have been bottlenecking it?

My gut feel is that lat activation and stability will have more impact on how effective CGBP will be on your triceps. Shoulders should play a similar role as normal bench.

Try getting into close grip bench position and actively bring your elbows towards your body using your lats. Now at the bottom of the position - flex your lats - you should feel it generate vertical bar path. Now if you can keep your lats flexed throughout the pressing motion, you should feel your triceps a lot.
God are you the dumbest mother****er on this forum or something?? CGBP will hit the triceps no matter what because it's ****ing CGBP.
[video="youtube;aZHvd0ks7Es"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es[/video]
I was talking to redhotbutter btw not the other guy.
Original post by SmashConcept
I was talking to redhotbutter btw not the other guy.

Dw I was aware :smile:
Dw I was aware :smile:

How are you not moderating this systemic abuse.
Original post by redbuthotter

So you're a narc as well now?
Original post by redbuthotter

Because you're bench is superior to his; therefore you've already won the discussion

Spoiler

smh
Because you're bench is superior to his; therefore you've already won the discussion

Spoiler

LOL
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-technique-deadlift-form/

tl;dr Basically everyone should pull sumo. Thoughts?

If you can and want to compete in Powerlifting then do. It's much easier to recover from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He didn't say everyone should pull sumo. He said it depends on various factors such as limb length, how may years you've been training each lift and therefore strength of your lower back muscles relative to your legs.

But he made some very valid points which I agree with. I'm going to be switching to cheaty cheaty sumo from this week see how it feels and hopefully see bigger numbers from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest