The Student Room Group

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V8

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanR
Damn, that's a recipe for postural nightmare! Although conventional deads should hit your posterior chain pretty hard anyway. If you're not doing them already, then I'd definitely recommend doing some face pulls as assistance work every day. Really great for shoulder health and stops the anterior deltoid from being completely dominant. Program them in in extremely high rep/volume, do like 5x15. I've been doing them recently and my shoulders and upper back have never felt better.

Read this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/ewrr0/writeup_on_the_dreaded_anterior_pelvic_tilt_or/ which is great for pelvic tilt. You can pretty much see whether you've got anterior pelvic tilt by "thrusting" like you're gonna thrust into a woman/man/animal/whatever you like and seeing if that improves your posture. But it definitely sounds like you've got it a little bit, which may be why you're having problems getting your lower back in place for deadlifts.

Cheers dude, I appreciate the help and advice. Just had a look and I'm 99% sure I have anterior pelvic tilt. Looks like I need to stop being so lazy with my assistance work too :tongue:
Original post by Idle
Anyone have any recommendations for exercises you can do with DB's for chest that don't require a bench? Stuck with my 85kg DB set until after exams when I can try scoop the money together for the gym.

pull ups
overhead press
wide press ups
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
for chest

Original post by Sheepforsale
pull ups

u wot m8
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 64

I know that it's involved in a very very very minor way but suggesting pullups for chest work is pretty inefficient since it's predominantly a back exercise.
To train chest at home just do pushup variations. Diamond, inclined, declined, add instability (balls, rings), one arm, Hindu pushups, weighted rucksack etcetera. There's plenty to keep you busy. Make sure you're doing pulling back exercises to compensate so you'll need a pullup bar. DB rows are good but won't cut it on their own. Add rear delt flyes too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by JordanR
Floor presses! Although you could lie on a couple of chairs or something and do 1-armed dumbbell press too, I guess, but I wouldn't like to do that. I'd also recommend (weighted) push ups for pretty much everyone for dat dere serratus work, so there's that.

Original post by Sheepforsale
pull ups
overhead press
wide press ups

Thanks both, already doing press but I will defiantly add a few more in.
[video="youtube;mZ7ip-KxFL4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7ip-KxFL4[/video]
Reply 68
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
[video="youtube;mZ7ip-KxFL4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7ip-KxFL4[/video]

Not a scientist, doesn't provide scientific citations and just talks. Doesn't have a noteworthy physique, either. No reason to listen to him when he's directly contradicting conventional as well as scientific knowledge. You should've been triggered when he criticises the idea of using "logic" instead of following your own cravings. Following one's own cravings is what makes people fat in the first place.

tl;dr broscience
Reply 69
He lost me sometime around eating instincts but I got to vegan=calorie restricted diet then he really really lost me. My instincts make me 57kg/9 stone and I've never ate more junk food than I do as a vegan :lol:. If he had a point it would be generalisations are generalised hence don't work for everyone but he kind of misses that

Anyways, I actually just popped by to moan holly ****ing trap DOMS. Running around carrying heavy **** seems to be much more effective than shurgs. Really want to make myself a sandbag now
Reply 70
Original post by BKS
He lost me sometime around eating instincts but I got to vegan=calorie restricted diet then he really really lost me. My instincts make me 57kg/9 stone and I've never ate more junk food than I do as a vegan :lol:. If he had a point it would be generalisations are generalised hence don't work for everyone but he kind of misses that

Anyways, I actually just popped by to moan holly ****ing trap DOMS. Running around carrying heavy **** seems to be much more effective than shurgs. Really want to make myself a sandbag now

Yeah. If I listened to my instincts I'd still be skeleton mode (140lbs at 6'4"). Thanks to ignoring instincts, I'm gettin' swole.

Yeah I noticed that a lot when I was carrying a couple of suitcases for miles and miles and miles. But remember that DOMS isn't an effective indicator of growth or progression! I find my traps get hit best when I'm doing heavy heavy shrugs (shrugs greater than my 1RM deadlift), CNP style.
I calorie count. Posted something that would russle some jimmies to bring some life back into this dead thread. DOMS aren't needed for muscle growth anyway. What matters is progressive overload. My traps get quite sore carrying some groceries back home but they don't grow from it.

Back when I was doing SS my traps had a lot of growth despite never doing any isolation work for them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 72
Yeah, I know but shrugs are boring. Farmers and kegs and sandbags are fun but sandbag is the only one I could reasonably have. Maybe I'll start doing lower rep shrugs to make it more interesting in the short term
Snatch grip high pulls!
Where do people feel pull-ups? I always thought it was good for lat development but some guy told me chins are much better for the lats...
Reply 75
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
I calorie count. Posted something that would russle some jimmies to bring some life back into this dead thread. DOMS aren't needed for muscle growth anyway. What matters is progressive overload. My traps get quite sore carrying some groceries back home but they don't grow from it.

Back when I was doing SS my traps had a lot of growth despite never doing any isolation work for them.

Traps are used a lot in the deadlift and (especially) the power clean, as well as the bench press for stabilising, so that makes sense. I don't think you really need to isolate them. I just do it because loading up a crapload of weight on the bar and shrugging something greater than my 1RM helps tremendously for grip strength (and big traps look awesome). Also it helps me get used to lower weight.
Original post by BKS
Yeah, I know but shrugs are boring. Farmers and kegs and sandbags are fun but sandbag is the only one I could reasonably have. Maybe I'll start doing lower rep shrugs to make it more interesting in the short term

Try this http://chaosandpain.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/ubiquitous-question-how-i-got-my-traps.html
http://chaosandpain.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/what-****-are-those-things-around-your.html?zx=801f41c7933128df

Original post by AreebWithaHat
Where do people feel pull-ups? I always thought it was good for lat development but some guy told me chins are much better for the lats...

If I remember correctly, muscle activation for lats is pretty much equal for both chin-ups and pullups, so it doesn't really matter. The difference is that pullups work the brachioradialis more and chin-ups use the biceps more. I prefer chin ups because I can do more of them (it's rarely my lats that fail first anyway).
(edited 10 years ago)

Pretty similar, splitting hairs really.

Although I don't think "feeling" the lats is definitely a sign they're growing or you're doing it correctly. MMC is a bit BS in terms of how most think about it. If you perform it correctly you'll be fine.

You'll feel it WAY more if you go incredibly slow but then you do 5 reps. You go at a decent pace and get 20. I'd say latter is better. You'll feel latter when you're done for sure, just maybe not as obviously as the former.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77
Entered two Crossfit competitions later this year...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Khanage
Entered two Crossfit competitions later this year...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!

Barbell rows? every muth****er (/CT fletcher voice) that has a big back seems to hammer these.
I'm gonna work on chest to bar pullups. Those last few inches will really work my lacking scap strength (one thing where the lat pull down is better because you can drop the weight and really squeeze at the bottom).
Reply 79
Original post by silent ninja
Good luck!

Barbell rows? every muth****er (/CT fletcher voice) that has a big back seems to hammer these.
I'm gonna work on chest to bar pullups. Those last few inches will really work my lacking scap strength (one thing where the lat pull down is better because you can drop the weight and really squeeze at the bottom).

The vast majority of my lats have come from barbell rows. I do them dorian yates style (torso 45 degrees, underhand grip) and would never go any other way. And I think my wings are pretty decent.

Quick Reply

Latest