The Student Room Group

Xbox One: The New Generation of Xbox (Discussion thread)

Scroll to see replies

Here's an interesting idea, we know that the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 have extremely different architecture (making it difficult to emulate games that are highly optimised for the old console), but wouldn't a great way to show off the power of the cloud be to have servers running in a similar architecture to 360 that allow you to play 360 games on the One? I'm not convinced by Microsoft that the cloud will be any good but I do have some hope that they may do it right, offloading the 360 specific tasks to the cloud would be, I think, an excellent way to show off their point.

Obviously I'm keeping my lovely Reach 360 anyway :colone:, but it's just a thought.
Original post by LShirley95
Here's an interesting idea, we know that the Xbox One and the Xbox 360 have extremely different architecture (making it difficult to emulate games that are highly optimised for the old console), but wouldn't a great way to show off the power of the cloud be to have servers running in a similar architecture to 360 that allow you to play 360 games on the One? I'm not convinced by Microsoft that the cloud will be any good but I do have some hope that they may do it right, offloading the 360 specific tasks to the cloud would be, I think, an excellent way to show off their point.

Obviously I'm keeping my lovely Reach 360 anyway :colone:, but it's just a thought.

What you said doesn't make sense. You can't offload certain aspects. Everything would have to be streamed from the cloud.

The closest thing to that is what OnLive do. And what Sony will be bringing to the PS4 with Gaikai. MS said that "backwards compatibility is a backwards way of thinking" so i don't think they'll do it any time soon.

Sony are going to start doing it 2014 to allow you to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games via the cloud.
Not sure why anyone would really want to play 360 games on XB1 considering that MS clearly want to support the 360 and estimate 25 million more sales...

And why would you sell the 360? You wouldn't get a good offer and it'd be a waste if you are a hardcore gamer with a decent amount of games.
Original post by Sum Gai
What you said doesn't make sense. You can't offload certain aspects. Everything would have to be streamed from the cloud.

And what exactly is the problem with offloading certain aspects of the processing to the cloud? I haven't got a PhD in computer science or networking but I'm pretty certain you can ask for just some calculations do be done outside of a machine, it doesn't all need to be done via the cloud. And I'm pretty sure this is what Microsft have been implying they're trying to do the whole time.
(edited 10 years ago)
And what exactly is the problem with offloading certain aspects of the processing to the cloud? I haven't got a PhD in computer science or networking but I'm pretty certain you can ask for just some calculations do be done outside of a machine, it doesn't all need to be done via the cloud. And I'm pretty sure this is what Microsft have been implying they're trying to do the whole time.

It doesn't make sense for Xbox 360 games. It does for Xbox One games.
Reply 1165

That's what Sony are planning on doing for PS3 games. But that is a bit of a different concept to what MS are pushing with their cloud processing. Doing what you've described is running the entire game on a server and streaming video back. Where as the concept they're really trying to push is that games can offload some non-time critical calculations to the servers, while the game is mainly running on your own console.

Original post by Sum Gai

Sony are going to start doing it 2014 to allow you to play PS1, PS2 and PS3 games via the cloud.

As I said before, I'd be surprised if they bothered streaming PS1 games using "the cloud". It would be completely pointless. Maybe there's a case for PS2 games, depending on how good their emulation is, but even that I suspect could be done easily enough on the console itself.
Original post by Psyk

As I said before, I'd be surprised if they bothered streaming PS1 games using "the cloud". It would be completely pointless. Maybe there's a case for PS2 games, depending on how good their emulation is, but even that I suspect could be done easily enough on the console itself.

Me too. PS2 and PS1 emulation is fine on PC's and PS3 so i think PS1 and PS2 games (digital download) should work fine on PS4 in time.
Original post by DH-Biker
I've seen "M$/M£" on so many forums now, not that I wish to spoil your fun, but its a bit childish. A key point to remember is that Sony and Microsoft are businesses in a Capitalist age. Money is everything to them, at least Microsoft changed their negative aspects regarding the console, it took Sony an entire gaming-generation to give players the ability to join parties with their friends playing different games. Not to mention they're now asking for money for PSN, which is great, perhaps it'll stop hacking scandals Sony is famous for.
I think the feeling is because everyone knows that there is more than one way to go about making money. Microsoft got ahead in the console race by giving it customers what they wanted. They worked on a great experience via XBL, some great exclusive game, and as you mentioned later on a security that people loved. By all measures the PS3 was a better console more powerful, blu ray player, free online. People bought the xbox for the consumer experience, and were even willing to pay for the privilege of a better online service. I think most user would agree XBL has moved forward significantly since release to the benefit of the customer, looking at the increase in market share from the original xbox the the XB1 pre launch, that business model was serving them well.

“Look after the customer and the business will take care of itself” Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s

I think the DRM restrictions were evidence for some people that Microsoft would prefer to screw over the majority to squeeze some money from the minority. How serious a problem was DRM in any case. At the peak around 1m people were affected for foul play via XBL some being piracy, some being console mods, out of the 20m+ people on xbox live they are a small fraction.

Perhaps Sony haven't catered to the customer as well as Microsoft have but I think for many people the XB1 was evidence that Microsoft have moved away from the customer experience, bringing the best product to the table, as their number one method success. A sample of a lecture hall of gamers would have told them this was a bad idea, the fact it got as far as release shows they couldn't give a **** what people actually want. Even if they have backtracked now, I think it raised serious questions about the direction of the platform, and people are rightly questioning whether this is a platform they want to invest £400+ and lock themselves into for years. If that is the case and Microsoft no long bring the best customer experience where does that leave them? Nintendo Wii territory IMO.
Reply 1168
Original post by Sum Gai
Me too. PS2 and PS1 emulation is fine on PC's and PS3 so i think PS1 and PS2 games (digital download) should work fine on PS4 in time.

Really there's no technical reason they couldn't allow you to play from actual PS2 discs. Whether they will or not, I don't know. They might decide they could make more money by making people pay for a digital copy even if they already have a physical one.
Original post by Psyk
Really there's no technical reason they couldn't allow you to play from actual PS2 discs. Whether they will or not, I don't know. They might decide they could make more money by making people pay for a digital copy even if they already have a physical one.

They probably won't. It's about money at the end of the day and if you could play PS1 discs like you could on PS2 and PS3 then you would have seen Sony shout about it like they did with their previous consoles.

So i'm very confident it'll be digital download only again.

Good thing i still have my PS2 playing around.

Quick Reply

Latest