The Student Room Group

is it possible A2 students?

I know people post these threads every 5 seconds (including myself!) but i really need some honest advice.
I need AAA to meet my uni offer and so far im on ABB was (AAB From AS but A2 Jan modules brought these down) :frown:.

BB in aqa biology and ocr chem :frown: the two most important subjects for my uni course.

Ive been revising for about 3 weeks now and have covered Chemistry unit 5 and biology unit 5 once by making revision notes. I havent done any past papers yet. and neither have a started revising for the 4 other exams i have in june (2 are Bio and chemi resits from jan :frown:)

Is it possible to get AAA do you think?

Also do you think i started revision too late considering i have 6 exams in june??

My first exam in on 5th June
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by emah123
I know people post these threads every 5 seconds (including myself!) but i really need some honest advice.
I need AAA to meet my uni offer and so far im on ABB was (AAB From AS but A2 Jan modules brought these down) :frown:.

BB in aqa biology and ocr chem :frown: the two most important subjects for my uni course.

Ive been revising for about 3.5 weeks now and have covered Chemistry unit 5 and biology unit 5 once by making revision notes. I havent done any past papers yet. and neither have a started revising for the 4 other exams i have in june (2 are Bio and chemi resits from jan :frown:)

5th of June? That's plenty of time. I have a bunch of friends whose exams start then & have only just started revising.
Reply 2
Original post by Use Err Name
5th of June? That's plenty of time. I have a bunch of friends whose exams start then & have only just started revising.

I know but i feel that because i need AAA i should have started ages ago....
Original post by emah123
I know but i feel that because i need AAA i should have started ages ago....

Nah. If you started ages ago, you would only have ended up forgetting it. No point regretting not starting anyway, what's done is done. It would suck to give up now because of regret & fail.

I only started properly in the last couple of weeks when I need AAB (Currently on BBB from AS), so I suppose I'm in a similar boat. In fact I'm worse because I have 6 exams, starting from 14th May :/
Reply 4
Anyone else?
I went from ABBCE to AABBD with a good amount of effort. It's definitely possible :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in a similar situation I need AAA on AAB you'll be fine I do aqa chem so I can't pretend I know your course but its mainly understanding not much to learn I wouldn't get to worried you've got plenty of time
Reply 7
Original post by emah123

Ive been revising for about 3 weeks now and have covered Chemistry unit 5 and biology unit 5 once by making revision notes. I havent done any past papers yet. and neither have a started revising for the 4 other exams i have in june (2 are Bio and chemi resits from jan :frown:)

Also do you think i started revision too late considering i have 6 exams in june??

What are your UMS?
You should have enough time, bearing in mind you've already been revising for 3 weeks.
Reply 8
Original post by ANONYM00SE
What are your UMS?
You should have enough time, bearing in mind you've already been revising for 3 weeks.

I've got 318/400 in bio and chem so far including the ums from jan modules. I'm resitting the jan modules. I need 480/600 to get the A's!
I've only revised for 2 exams in the last three weeks and still have to revise for 4 (including 2 resist)
Of course it's possible. I assume you have enough free time to easily do a few hours a day so you've got enough time to do over 100 hours of revision. Even split between 6 exams that's more than enough time to go from a B to an A.

As long as you're willing to put the work in (which it sounds like you are) you'll be absolutely fine.
lol ... you're on ABB... think about people on CCC walking in the exam and need to get AAB for their course, wtf.
Reply 11
I am doing AQA Biology too. It sucks, OCR is better. Anyway I got a D at AS, carried it on to this year and need to achieve an A. I am resitting every unit because it is possible. If I can do it, you can too.
Reply 12
Original post by GraceD
I am doing AQA Biology too. It sucks, OCR is better. Anyway I got a D at AS, carried it on to this year and need to achieve an A. I am resitting every unit because it is possible. If I can do it, you can too.

omg i hate biology so much!!! how mush revision have you done for units 4 and 5?? also how have you been revising? can you please give me some tips and have you got personal tutor or anything like that? im thinking about getting one???

how are your other subjects going? i think i messed up my AS and A2 EMPAS so even more stressed now!!!
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm in a similar situation. I've made notes for a few of my exams but I haven't started revising yet. I got ABC last year and I need AAA-AAB/A*BB (I got an AAA offer, lol). I've got 5 exams in total - an AS retake on 17th May and the rest fall into June and end on the 17th.
Reply 14
Original post by emah123
omg i hate biology so much!!! how mush revision have you done for units 4 and 5?? also how have you been revising? can you please give me some tips and have you got personal tutor or anything like that? im thinking about getting one???

how are your other subjects going? i think i messed up my AS and A2 EMPAS so even more stressed now!!!

Me too, it's a pain in the neck. I did the Jan sitting of BIOL4 and got a D I think. We haven't even finished going over BIOL5 in class, just got up to the oestrous cycle last week so have all of genetics to do. For revision I have only done a little so far, I use a load of resources from Get Revising though. Oh and I do ISAs rather than EMPAs

If I'm honest this is how I revise, I got an A in BIOL6 for doing this:

- Read over every page and unit and summarise each topic in note form.
- Write everything down again.
- Flag areas I am not certain on and re-read + ask my teacher.
- Practice exam questions like hell, seriously every past paper in existence. You get to see patters, they can only ask how feedback systems work in so many ways.
- Read examiner reports, feedback and notes available around the place to see where most people lose marks.
- Repeat, repeat.

As for a personal tutor, I've never had one myself but by going from what my friends have experienced it's a bit of marmite. Some did extremely well and got A's, others did extremely bad and dropped out of Sixth Form. And this was the same company. It depends on who is teaching and their style but it's definitely worth trying.

My other subjects are ok, tracking at an A in history which is what I need and a dodgy A in English Lit. I need A*AA over all to meet my offer.

Chin up, if you want it bad enough you will work day and night to get it.
Reply 15
Original post by GraceD
Me too, it's a pain in the neck. I did the Jan sitting of BIOL4 and got a D I think. We haven't even finished going over BIOL5 in class, just got up to the oestrous cycle last week so have all of genetics to do. For revision I have only done a little so far, I use a load of resources from Get Revising though. Oh and I do ISAs rather than EMPAs

If I'm honest this is how I revise, I got an A in BIOL6 for doing this:

- Read over every page and unit and summarise each topic in note form.
- Write everything down again.
- Flag areas I am not certain on and re-read + ask my teacher.
- Practice exam questions like hell, seriously every past paper in existence. You get to see patters, they can only ask how feedback systems work in so many ways.
- Read examiner reports, feedback and notes available around the place to see where most people lose marks.
- Repeat, repeat.

As for a personal tutor, I've never had one myself but by going from what my friends have experienced it's a bit of marmite. Some did extremely well and got A's, others did extremely bad and dropped out of Sixth Form. And this was the same company. It depends on who is teaching and their style but it's definitely worth trying.

My other subjects are ok, tracking at an A in history which is what I need and a dodgy A in English Lit. I need A*AA over all to meet my offer.

Chin up, if you want it bad enough you will work day and night to get it.

have you finished revision for any of the AS biol 1 or 2? how come your retaking the AS modules aswell? have you done all the past paper questions?!
Reply 16
Original post by emah123
have you finished revision for any of the AS biol 1 or 2? how come your retaking the AS modules aswell? have you done all the past paper questions?!

I need to achieve 480 UMS to get an A, even though I haven't sat BIOL5 (worth 140) I'd still be about 70 UMS short so I am resitting AS modules to get to an A.

As for BIOL1 and 2 I haven't done much revision because I've been focusing on the ISAs (I've done 4 in a couple of months + Unit 5 work). The exam is in 23 days so I have time yet + my teacher gives me huge booklets with every exam question under the sun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending