Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chigyy
What time you going?

I'm sitting in the coffee shop in the students union now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
Might apply for electrical engineering. Im doing btec engineering and should get overall DDD+.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going for twelve :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by lizz-ie
I'm sitting in the coffee shop in the students union now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sheffield's student union is apparently the best in the country...does it seem true?
Reply 24
Going to the open day on Tuesday 9th July.

Can anyone who went today share their thoughts on the uni? Facilties? What the lectures were like, informative? Atmosphere etc?

I'm personally looking eagerly at the Philosophy & Politics degree they offer, plus the city seems pretty cool, so I think I might enjoy it there if I were to get an offer.
Original post by GrandMasterChe

Can anyone who went today share their thoughts on the uni? Facilties? What the lectures were like, informative? Atmosphere etc?

I'm personally looking eagerly at the Philosophy & Politics degree they offer, plus the city seems pretty cool, so I think I might enjoy it there if I were to get an offer.

I was pretty sure I wasn't going there but after today, I think I may apply. Can't give any information about accommodation though because I already live here so didn't need to see it!
Reply 26
I'm trying to book a visit, but since my college is private I can't add it. I'm trying to click on 'Add my school' but the button doesn't seem to be working. :s
I wasn't planning to go to Sheffield and went along reluctantly... But it was actually really good and i think it will be one of my options for History and Archaeology

If anyone saw the accommodation (i missed the tour) whats it like??
Reply 28
Hi,

I'm currently a second year (going into my final year) History & Politics student at the University of Sheffield! I've obviously been around for two years now, and have got involved in many facets of university life, so can answer most questions.
There are a lot of misinformed posts about both the university and the History Department on TSR & I was just hoping to readdress any of these queries and unanswered questions for you guys. I do work as a Student Ambassador for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Department of History, so I can hopefully provide you with good answers to questions!

So, if you would like to ask me literally anything about my course or the University in general, please go ahead & I'll answer them as best I can! Good luck in your AS Level results!
Reply 29
Original post by EmilyT92
Hi,

I'm currently a second year (going into my final year) History & Politics student at the University of Sheffield! I've obviously been around for two years now, and have got involved in many facets of university life, so can answer most questions.
There are a lot of misinformed posts about both the university and the History Department on TSR & I was just hoping to readdress any of these queries and unanswered questions for you guys. I do work as a Student Ambassador for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities and the Department of History, so I can hopefully provide you with good answers to questions!

So, if you would like to ask me literally anything about my course or the University in general, please go ahead & I'll answer them as best I can! Good luck in your AS Level results!

Hey, I don't know if you would be able to answer this, but can I go to the open day without booking, because the booking doesn't seem to be working at the moment :s
Reply 30
Original post by chigyy
Hey, I don't know if you would be able to answer this, but can I go to the open day without booking, because the booking doesn't seem to be working at the moment :s

Most of the Open Day activities are very self-led, so if you can't book onto on Open Day that won't be a problem for the majority of the day - i.e you can go on Accommodation/Campus Tours without having to book onto an Open Day, it just means you would have to collect information at the University rather than through the post. However, you may not be able to book onto a Open Day because it might be fully booked out for your department on that day? Departmental talks are the only ones that you have to book onto because of the size of lecture theatres, if you don't think it's a problem with that though you could try to directly contact the department and ask them? Which department would it be?
Reply 31
Most of the Open Day activities are very self-led, so if you can't book onto on Open Day that won't be a problem for the majority of the day - i.e you can go on Accommodation/Campus Tours without having to book onto an Open Day, it just means you would have to collect information at the University rather than through the post. However, you may not be able to book onto a Open Day because it might be fully booked out for your department on that day? Departmental talks are the only ones that you have to book onto because of the size of lecture theatres, if you don't think it's a problem with that though you could try to directly contact the department and ask them? Which department would it be?

I'm not sure if it was full, it's just that I couldn't finish the form. My school is a private college, so since it wasn't showing up, I pressed 'Add my school' but the link/button wasn't working.

Might call up on Monday and see what I can do.

I'm going for Maths and Statistics.
Reply 32
Original post by chigyy
I'm not sure if it was full, it's just that I couldn't finish the form. My school is a private college, so since it wasn't showing up, I pressed 'Add my school' but the link/button wasn't working.

Might call up on Monday and see what I can do.

I'm going for Maths and Statistics.

Yeah in all honesty it'll probably just be a technical issue with the website, which obviously isn't very good but if you ring up the Department if tomorrow you still can't add your school I'm sure they'd put you onto the list anyway! It's obviously a bit of a pain but sometimes unfortunately these little things do happen & cause a few problems!
Reply 33
Yeah in all honesty it'll probably just be a technical issue with the website, which obviously isn't very good but if you ring up the Department if tomorrow you still can't add your school I'm sure they'd put you onto the list anyway! It's obviously a bit of a pain but sometimes unfortunately these little things do happen & cause a few problems!

Doubt they'll be open tomorrow (Sunday).

Thanks for the info though :smile:
I'm thinking of doing History and Politics, I've heard that its politics department is really good. I would love to go to an open day, but my parents won't let me go anywhere but Manchester (so they say :colone:), plus I would rather go when I've got my results.
Reply 35
Original post by chigyy
Sheffield's student union is apparently the best in the country...does it seem true?

I don't think you can really get an impression on the open day of how good it is, but they're building an extension on it and have recently refurbished the rest. All the students I saw seemed really happy and enthusiastic though :smile:

I loved it! The chemistry departmeny was absolutely amazing, and the arts tower (where social sciences are) seemed really nice too, although I was there for less than five minutes :') The student's union looked pretty good, and there is an amazing atmosphere, everyone in Sheffield looked really happy, and all of the students I met seemed really happy to be there, and said they loved the uni! The city centre is really nice too :smile:

Original post by Grammar Kid
I wasn't planning to go to Sheffield and went along reluctantly... But it was actually really good and i think it will be one of my options for History and Archaeology

If anyone saw the accommodation (i missed the tour) whats it like??

The accommodation was amazing! It's won awards and was the best in the country a couple of years ago. It's all recently been built so is really modern and nice. I went to visit the Endcliffe Village, and it's in a really nice area of Sheffield, I'm definitely going to apply, and if I get in, I'll apply for accommodation at the Endcliffe Village :smile:
It's so funny seeing people get so excited about sheffield (not in a bad way). Mainly because I've always lived here so obviously don't get the same impression as somebody who doesn't!
Original post by chigyy
Nah I can't make it tomorrow, may go on the 9th or 10th with a friend. Tell me how it goes :smile:

It was lovely, I was really impressed! :tongue:

I'm went to the philosophy talk today and it was really good. The lecturer told us loads of information about the entire philosophy school as well as the course itself which I thought was nice as it helped me get a bigger picture of what studying philosophy would be like at Sheffield :smile:
Other than that, I thought the uni seemed welcoming and the Student Union and the accomodation looked great!
Reply 38
Original post by chigyy
Doubt they'll be open tomorrow (Sunday).

Thanks for the info though :smile:

Haha no I didn't mean ring on a Sunday! Did you have any luck?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by Fool In The Rain
I'm thinking of doing History and Politics, I've heard that its politics department is really good. I would love to go to an open day, but my parents won't let me go anywhere but Manchester (so they say :colone:), plus I would rather go when I've got my results.

The Politics Department is one of the best in the country, so I'd day definitely apply! I would say that the best way to get a feel for a place though is to look around it? There's an open day in September as well just before Term starts, and it's usually quite sunny then!
Just try & persuade your parents, at the end of the day it's your decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply