The Student Room Group

IGCSE CHEMISTRY 2013 (May 20th & June 10th)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Scruff the cat
Thanks all for the tips on colours! :wink:

Does anyone know if titration calculations are on the syllabus (i.e. calculate the concentration of, volume of etc.) or is it just the titration process we need to be able to describe?

Here's hoping titration calculations are not a requirement cos they're solid!

Thanks!

Well for IGCSE yeah I'm afraid, you will have to know how to calculate the concentration/volume. It's pretty easy actually, just learn the formula. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sitting this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Barely 2 days left, hows everyone doing?
Original post by Navo D.
Barely 2 days left, hows everyone doing?

Past papers atm and just reading over everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
What are the products formed from the electrolysis of aqueous Lead (II) nitrate? In my book, I have Lead and oxygen, but seeing as lead is above hydrogen in the reactivity series, shouldn't hydrogen be produced?
Reply 45
Does anyone know where i can find the answer scheme to january 2013 edexcel igcse chemistry paper 1 please :smile: x
Reply 46
Original post by Mskitaboom
Does anyone know where i can find the answer scheme to january 2013 edexcel igcse chemistry paper 1 please :smile: x

http://www.mediafire.com/?4s0gj28a8vohz#4s0gj28a8vohz
Reply 47
Original post by apoorvahk
Anyone doing only Double Award? They're most probably going to ask about Organic, Industrial, Moles etc ^o^

Isn't The double award chemistry paper the same as our paper 1?
Reply 48
Original post by alexgr97
What are the products formed from the electrolysis of aqueous Lead (II) nitrate? In my book, I have Lead and oxygen, but seeing as lead is above hydrogen in the reactivity series, shouldn't hydrogen be produced?

Yeah that applies to group 1 and group 2 metals and Aluminium Nitrates. if the metal isn't in group one or two, then the metal is discharged. :smile:
Original post by Vorte
Isn't The double award chemistry paper the same as our paper 1?

Yeah
Reply 50
On the January 2013 1C, question 7ai, can someone explain why species B is oxidised, and not reduced, even though it gains oxygen?
Reply 51
Original post by alexgr97
On the January 2013 1C, question 7ai, can someone explain why species B is oxidised, and not reduced, even though it gains oxygen?

you have to take OILRIG with a pinch of salt- when there is the actual adddition of oxygen like there is in thise case, it is oxidised ( abandon your oilrig thinking here for a second).

oilrig tends to come in handy when you are looking at things in terms of electrons i.e. loss or gain
Can someone please list the possible 5-6 mark questions that can come up in P1?

i know one:

Making salts.
We don't have to know that the anode for the diaphragm cell is titanium, do we?
Original post by thelyphron
We don't have to know that the anode for the diaphragm cell is titanium, do we?

nope, just what the anode and cathode are made up of.
Reply 55
Hey, does anybody have to know whether we have to know about the individual observations about particular reactions of metals + water (so how potassium reacts and aluminum reacts) and how particular metals + acids react or do we just need to learn to general products created?
Reply 56
Original post by AdilMalikN
nope, just what the anode and cathode are made up of.

What are they made up of? Aren't all made of Graphite/carbon?
Reply 57
Original post by Harris Ali
Hey, does anybody have to know whether we have to know about the individual observations about particular reactions of metals + water (so how potassium reacts and aluminum reacts) and how particular metals + acids react or do we just need to learn to general products created?

They sometimes sneak in some observation questions. I think just know flame colours, if any metal or water is produced, and almost always effervescence Also how vigorous the reaction is.
Reply 58
Original post by KHJ
What are they made up of? Aren't all made of Graphite/carbon?

Most of them are, but not all. The only exception I can recall is in the diaphragm cell - the manufacture of sodium hydroxide and chlorine. The anode is made of titanium, and the cathode steel.

This is probably due to the nature of the chemicals being produced, but I can't find a good reason as to why they are like this in the Student Book nor the Revision Guide. That means we probably don't need to know about it too much.

(P. 136-137 in the Student Book, for your reference.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by AdilMalikN
Can someone please list the possible 5-6 mark questions that can come up in P1?

i know one:

Making salts.

iirc this was in the Jan 2013 paper, so it's unlikely to be repeated.
They could ask us to describe titration, describe industrial processes, and maybe even some descriptive questions of equilibrium and the works

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending