The Student Room Group

Maths homework, Help?

t is a positive whole number.

The expression 2t(squared) + 5t + 2 can never have a value that is a prime number.

Explain why.

(any help, I have no idea? Thanks)
Reply 1
Original post by Mr plumby
t is a positive whole number.

The expression 2t(squared) + 5t + 2 can never have a value that is a prime number.

Explain why.

(any help, I have no idea? Thanks)

Hint:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by joostan
Hint:

Spoiler

Im lost.:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Im lost.:s-smilie:

Can you factorise the given quadratic?
Just think of t as a number.
Prime numbers are only divisible by 1 and themselves. :smile:
Reply 4
:angry:
Original post by joostan
Can you factorise the given quadratic?
Just think of t as a number.
Prime numbers are only divisible by 1 and themselves. :smile:

Im still working on it but thanks anyway<:biggrin:
Reply 5
:angry:

Im still working on it but thanks anyway<:biggrin:

2t2+5t+2=0[br](2t+  )(t+  )=0\ 2t^2 + 5t + 2 = 0[br]\Rightarrow (2t + \ \ )(t + \ \ ) = 0 Fill in the blanks :smile:
Reply 6
Prime numbers can not be factorised, but the quadratic you gave can be factorised.
Another tip for determining if the quadratic expression can be nicely factorized:

its discriminant b^2 - 4ac is a perfect square.

In the example quoted by TS, this is given by 5^2 -4(2)(2) = 9

So yes, it is indeed factorizable.

Hope it helps. Peace.
Showing that 2t2+5t+22t^2+5t+2 can be factorised is a start.

Based on the restrictions on t, you need to be able to say something further about these two factors.

E.g. t2+2tt^2+2t can be factorised, but it can also be a prime for one positive whole number t.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Please help... I have no idea what any of this means!!
Reply 11
What is the answer???
Reply 12
a bit late now ....
Reply 13
So what is the answer???
I got (2t 1) (t 2) by grouping the quadratic
1. The mass of a radioactive material decreases exponentially. It's half-life is the time required for the mass of the material to reduce to half it's initial value. The half life of pLutonium is 14.4 years.
(i) write down the percentage of the initial mass of plutonium remaining after 28.8 years.
(ii) The mass M grams of plutonium at time t years is given by the equation : M=Moe^-kt,
where Mo grams is the initial mass and k is a constant. Find k.

2. In an experiment, the mass of a substance is increasingly exponentially. At a time, the hours, after the start of the experiment, the mass, m grams, of the substance is given by : m=Ae^kt

where A and k are constants. It is given that, at the instant when t=15, the mass is 49g, and the rate at which the mass is increasing is 1.2 g per hour.

(i) Find the values of A and K.
(ii) Find the value of t for which the mass is 70g.

3. David puts a block of ice into a cool box. He wishes to model the mass m kg of the remaining block of ice at time t hours later. He finds that when t=5, m=2.1 and when t=50, m=0.21.

a. David at first guesses that the mass may be inversely proportional to time. Show that this model fits his measurements.

b. Explain why this model:
(i) is not suitable for small values of t.
(ii) cannot be used to find the time for the block to melt completely

David instead proposes a linear model -> m=at+b, where a and b are constants.

c. Find the values of the constants for whih the model fits the mass of the block when t=5 and t=50.

d. Interpret these values of a and b.

e. Find the time according to this model for the block of ice to melt completely.

Quick Reply

Latest