The Student Room Group

Graduate medicine

I was wondering if someone would help me. I'd love to do medicine after my anatomy degree but I'm worried about the costs and I'm not sure which institutions do the 4 year course in scotland. I'd like to know as well if it would cost the same to do it in say Ireland as it is in scotland. Also anyone that's done this what's your thoughts on it?
Original post by ssmith3110
I was wondering if someone would help me. I'd love to do medicine after my anatomy degree but I'm worried about the costs and I'm not sure which institutions do the 4 year course in scotland. I'd like to know as well if it would cost the same to do it in say Ireland as it is in scotland. Also anyone that's done this what's your thoughts on it?

There are no 4 year courses in Scotland.

As a graduate studying the 5 year, you will have to pay your fees each year which are currently £1820 p.a. and you get a SAAS loan (means-tested) or non-means tested is £4500 p.a.

Don't think Scots get funding for GEP but I'm not sure. Best to check the SAAS website. If none, then £9000 p.a. for year 1 and then I'm not sure if Scots can apply for the NHS bursary. Bursary pays £6k fees p.a (you need to pay £3300 p.a.) yourself for years 2-4. If no funding then you'd need to find £36000 for fees alone to do GEP.

Think fee levels in Ireland are similar to England & Wales or maybe even higher.

Much cheaper to do the 5 year in Scotland.

hth
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply