The Student Room Group

job reference - HELP!!!!

Hi all,

I have applied for a new job and my potential new employer wants a reference from my previous job before my current role. The thing is my previous manager now works at my current employer and works closely with my manager. Can she/does she have the right to tell my current manager that I am seeking a new position?
Reply 1
Original post by PlantVZombie
Hi all,

I have applied for a new job and my potential new employer wants a reference from my previous job before my current role. The thing is my previous manager now works at my current employer and works closely with my manager. Can she/does she have the right to tell my current manager that I am seeking a new position?

Well if your new employer asks your old one for a reference it doesnt take a rocket scientist to work out what its for...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
No your missing the point, the lady I am getting the reference from works with my manager, can she tell him in general conversation that she has done me a reference for a potential new employer.
Reply 3
She is fully within her right to tell your boss yes, and seeing as you said it's a women (and lets be truthful, women gossip a lot) I think It would get back to her.

My two pennies worth: If you're bothered about what your employer thinks then don't bother applying for another job. You should either have the courage to publicly seek new employment or remain where you are. Doing it in secret can only end badly really.
Reply 4
O.k. thanks for the advice, can I be binned by my current employer for looking at other jobs? Are they allowed to do this?
Reply 5
Original post by PlantVZombie
O.k. thanks for the advice, can I be binned by my current employer for looking at other jobs? Are they allowed to do this?

Depends.. by law no.. doesnt mean they wont find another reason as a cover up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending