The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Their native language they were brought up speaking and speak with in every day life currently. For example, I speak English "natively" but I also speak fluent Gujarati and advanced Spanish. Since I use English the most to talk to friends, in school, everywhere, this is naturally the language I think in.
Reply 2
Original post by Devina-S
Their native language they were brought up speaking and speak with in every day life currently. For example, I speak English "natively" but I also speak fluent Gujarati and advanced Spanish. Since I use English the most to talk to friends, in school, everywhere, this is naturally the language I think in.

But your English must be your strongest language ( I'm assuming you grew up in the UK and went to an English school). Is your spanish advanced enough for you to think in? And do you know enough technical words in your home language (Gujarati)?
Reply 3
Original post by Devina-S

So you only think in English then?
Reply 4
I've been here for 6ix years now and I naturally think and even dream in English... I'm a French native, I don't know when it all changed but, I'm not surprised - I have very few fluent French speaking friends so English has become a first language to me, even though at home we speak French all of the time unless we have non-French speaking guests :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I speak English natively and therefore think in English. I can think in German but I wouldn't ever naturally do that.
Most of our thinking won't be in any language, just subconscious thoughts.

When we think 'in a language', as you said, we talk to ourselves in our head, and so just as we choose what language to talk to others in, I reckon we can have preferences in our head when talking to ourselves, depending on the topic/situation.

Let's say you grew up speaking English at home, and then went an did a Physics degree in Germany - you might be more inclined to think about household tasks in English, but you'd probably think about Physics in German, as you'd be familiar with discussing the subject in that language.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I am a native German speaker, and in fact grew up in Germany, but I often shift the language I'm thinking in because I find it much easier to communicate my thoughts when thought and expression of thought are... synchronised, I guess.
Like when I'm reading something on TSR, naturally I'm reflecting on it in English and process it in English. But when I talk to a good German-speaking friend just minutes later, I think in German.
Reply 8
Original post by The Polymath
Most of our thinking won't be in any language, just subconscious thoughts.

When we think 'in a language', as you said, we talk to ourselves in our head, and so just as we choose what language to talk to others in, I reckon we can have preferences in our head when talking to ourselves, depending on the topic/situation.

Let's say you grew up speaking English at home, and then went an did a Physics degree in Germany - you might be more inclined to think about household tasks in English, but you'd probably think about Physics in German, as you'd be familiar with discussing the subject in that language.

I agree about the degree bit. Your technical knowledge of physics would all be in German, you wouldn't know the English words for those technical concepts/objects. So naturally you would have to think about those things in German.
Reply 9
Original post by ProgFeanor
I am a native German speaker, and in fact grew up in Germany, but I often shift the language I'm thinking in because I find it much easier to communicate my thoughts when thought and expression of thought are... synchronised, I guess.
Like when I'm reading something on TSR, naturally I'm reflecting on it in English and process it in English. But when I talk to a good German-speaking friend just minutes later, I think in German.

What about neutral thinking, when you are thinking to yourself on your own. Would that be in your stronger language?
Original post by advice_guru
I agree about the degree bit. Your technical knowledge of physics would all be in German, you wouldn't know the English words for those technical concepts/objects. So naturally you would have to think about those things in German.

Familiarity and speech comes into it too - when I think I will sometimes come close to whispering, kind of faintly forming words with my mouth, which implies that the language of your thought is linked to what you would say out loud.

So then it depends on who you're around, what situation you're in etc.
Original post by ProgFeanor

^ Here's an example.
What about neutral thinking, when you are thinking to yourself on your own. Would that be in your stronger language?

It probably varies depending on what you've recently been using (if you've been in Germany for a month, you'll probably think in German for a few days after you come back).

Overall, then, these are probably the main determinants:
- Strengths of each language overall (you'll favour one you are better in)
- Strengths of each language in the relevant topic (same again)
- Recent usage of each language (you'll favour the one you've used most frequently and most recently)
- Situation (you'll favour the one which people around you are speaking, or which you've historically been used to using in that situation)
(edited 10 years ago)
My first language and the language which I speak at home is Urdu with parents and english with siblings. But I think to myself in English.
hmm.. that is a very interesting point. I think the language which you speak more of generally and the enviroment in which the language is common allows your mind to adapt thinking according to that enviroment. Just depends on experience and accessibility, e.g. I find it much easier to put it into words of what I'm thinking. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Future_Dr
My first language and the language which I speak at home is Urdu with parents and english with siblings. But I think to myself in English.
hmm.. that is a very interesting point. I think the language which you speak more of generally and the enviroment in which the language is common allows your mind to adapt thinking according to that enviroment. Just depends on experience and accessibility, e.g. I find it much easier to put it into words of what I'm thinking. :smile:

So do you ever think in urdu, or is it just their to talk to your family with?
It depends who I'm talking to.

I've lost most of my second language now through not using it, but sometimes I think random phrases or answers to things in it.
Reply 14
When we reason in our minds, we talk to ourselves. Yet, sometimes we think in images (visualizing) or even sounds (remembering a piece of music). Synesthetic people may combine the senses. Some autistic savants may only think visually or other sensory manners and never properly develop their verbal skills. Predominantly, animals would most likely think visually.

I'm not a native English speaker but even at a young age I'd use to think in English. Sometimes, I'd know the word in English without knowing the equivalent in my own language. As I live in the UK now, I tend to think in English for the most part.

It really depends on the person and the brain. When we think about something, whether visual, auditory, abstract or otherwise the parts of the brains that are responsible for coding these experiences fire up, and, at the end of the day, all that matters is the exposure you've had to the specific stimuli. If you were exposed to English more than you were to your own language, than you may have an affinity to think in it.
Reply 15
Original post by PC25
When we reason in our minds, we talk to ourselves. Yet, sometimes we think in images (visualizing) or even sounds (remembering a piece of music). Synesthetic people may combine the senses. Some autistic savants may only think visually or other sensory manners and never properly develop their verbal skills. Predominantly, animals would most likely think visually.

I'm not a native English speaker but even at a young age I'd use to think in English. Sometimes, I'd know the word in English without knowing the equivalent in my own language. As I live in the UK now, I tend to think in English for the most part.

It really depends on the person and the brain. When we think about something, whether visual, auditory, abstract or otherwise the parts of the brains that are responsible for coding these experiences fire up, and, at the end of the day, all that matters is the exposure you've had to the specific stimuli. If you were exposed to English more than you were to your own language, than you may have an affinity to think in it.

So what is your native language? And do you ever think in it now? Or is it just reserved for conversation?
Original post by allthetime
It depends who I'm talking to.

I've lost most of my second language now through not using it, but sometimes I think random phrases or answers to things in it.

Very rarely. I can't clearly recall the time that I did.. but I think I do think somethimes when I am very depressed or upset.
Reply 17
So you only think in English then?

Not only, but 97% of the time yes! Sometimes I think to myself in Spanish, but this is only for a few seconds after having an intensive Spanish class where the teacher was talking in Spanish the whole time, and so my brain has adjusted its settings to 'spanish' I guess.
Reply 18
You don't think in a particular language unless you are thinking about talking to someone. In which case, depends who you are thinking about talking to and in what circumstances.
Reply 19
Original post by Lollyage
You don't think in a particular language unless you are thinking about talking to someone. In which case, depends who you are thinking about talking to and in what circumstances.

No I mean when you are thinking to yourself. When for example you are planning what you are going to do today, how to fix X problem, how you are going to plan your journey to X venue etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending