The Student Room Group

Distance learning with ICS

Hi, I've just started an A Level with ICS Learn who are a distance / home learning provider and I'm really disappointed with them. For example I'm only about 25 pages into their course material and it so poorly written. The grammar is just awful, typos, wording that doesn't make sense. And I have brought the book that they suggested which is written by the exam board AQA and the info in the book is different to what's in the ICS course material! So if that particular question came up in my exam, and I went with what ICS has taught me I could possibly lose points. Its off putting more than anything because Im trying to take in the information but I'm focusing on the mistake more than anything!! This course was £400! £400 for a rushed, poorly written few pieces of paper in a binder that hasn't even been proof read of checked before sending it out! I have emailed them to complain and I'm still waiting on a reply. Has any one else had any problems with them?
Reply 1
Original post by Amy387
Hi, I've just started an A Level with ICS Learn who are a distance / home learning provider and I'm really disappointed with them. For example I'm only about 25 pages into their course material and it so poorly written. The grammar is just awful, typos, wording that doesn't make sense. And I have brought the book that they suggested which is written by the exam board AQA and the info in the book is different to what's in the ICS course material! So if that particular question came up in my exam, and I went with what ICS has taught me I could possibly lose points. Its off putting more than anything because Im trying to take in the information but I'm focusing on the mistake more than anything!! This course was £400! £400 for a rushed, poorly written few pieces of paper in a binder that hasn't even been proof read of checked before sending it out! I have emailed them to complain and I'm still waiting on a reply. Has any one else had any problems with them?

Ahhh Amy I feel your pain, truly. I study with Home Study College, although some of their material is relevant, not all of it is. I'm also experiencing similar gramatical errors and awful sentence structure. I am 5 months into my course already. I suggest alongside the textbook, also buy a revision guide, maybe even 2 from different authors. And at the end of each section, cross check the information with each of your sources and conclude the information that matches across the board.

Another thing that can help is looking at past papers and extracting the common questions for each of the topics and have them alongside as you study. This will give reference to the information you should be focused on learning.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your studies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bell_wv
Ahhh Amy I feel your pain, truly. I study with Home Study College, although some of their material is relevant, not all of it is. I'm also experiencing similar gramatical errors and awful sentence structure. I am 5 months into my course already. I suggest alongside the textbook, also buy a revision guide, maybe even 2 from different authors. And at the end of each section, cross check the information with each of your sources and conclude the information that matches across the board.

Another thing that can help is looking at past papers and extracting the common questions for each of the topics and have them alongside as you study. This will give reference to the information you should be focused on learning.

Hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your studies :smile:

Hey, Thanks for your reply. I have made a complaint to ICS about it and told them I want to cancel everything and send them back to course material. I think I would rather just buy the books and study it all myself with past papers etc. Rather than paying so much money for a load of rubbish. They didn't even assign me a tutor until about 2 weeks after I started the course, I sent a question to the tutor and she obviously didn't receive it. Just another thing that annoyed me about ICS. What are you studying?
Reply 3
Original post by Amy387
Hey, Thanks for your reply. I have made a complaint to ICS about it and told them I want to cancel everything and send them back to course material. I think I would rather just buy the books and study it all myself with past papers etc. Rather than paying so much money for a load of rubbish. They didn't even assign me a tutor until about 2 weeks after I started the course, I sent a question to the tutor and she obviously didn't receive it. Just another thing that annoyed me about ICS. What are you studying?

Shocking, after a brave few months you just learn to get on with it. Although it's not comforting knowing you cannot trust your course material. I am studying Psychology and Business Studies, yourself?
Reply 4
Original post by bell_wv
Shocking, after a brave few months you just learn to get on with it. Although it's not comforting knowing you cannot trust your course material. I am studying Psychology and Business Studies, yourself?

I'm also doing Psychology! :-) I'm doing it as a starting point and want to move onto criminology and forensics after. Is it A Level's your doing? x
Reply 5
Original post by Amy387
I'm also doing Psychology! :-) I'm doing it as a starting point and want to move onto criminology and forensics after. Is it A Level's your doing? x

Nice! Yeah AQA exam board through Open Study College. Wow, that's really weird. I am also looking to branch into criminology. I am obsessed with criminal profiling, motivations, triggers, serial patterns, predicting the next move etc. Although I'm not sure I can find a Uni course tailored specifically for my needs. I'm sure I will be forced to study other branches with this. x
Reply 6
Oh awesome, Yep im going with AQA too, spec B tho. Most people I talk to are doing spec A! Yeah I just find it fascinating. Like people who commit serious crime I just wonder what on earth is going on in your crazy mind?! I love all that CSI stuff too, How they find all the clues to solve the crime. I will probs do another home learning course for criminal psychology but Im not sure who with or which one. There seem to be quite a few out there but really need to research into them. Would love to do a degree but don't have the time! I did look into Open University so that I can do it in my own time, but that is soo expensive. like thousands!!! x
Reply 7
Original post by Amy387
Oh awesome, Yep im going with AQA too, spec B tho. Most people I talk to are doing spec A! Yeah I just find it fascinating. Like people who commit serious crime I just wonder what on earth is going on in your crazy mind?! I love all that CSI stuff too, How they find all the clues to solve the crime. I will probs do another home learning course for criminal psychology but Im not sure who with or which one. There seem to be quite a few out there but really need to research into them. Would love to do a degree but don't have the time! I did look into Open University so that I can do it in my own time, but that is soo expensive. like thousands!!! x

Yeah I am doing spec A also! It's awesome! One thing got me really into it was Criminal Minds, awesome show.. Ahh are you a mature student? I wont be going to UNI until next year so I have plenty of time to research my courses. Yes, the price tag is ridiculous! Also, are you sitting any exams this season? I have Unit 1 Psych and Unit 1 Business this month. x
Reply 8
well im 25 so if that's mature then yes lol. I don't have any exams until next May luckily! So I have a whole year to revise altho I am going to be doing all 4 exams both AS and A2 in the same month so Im cramming 2 years worth of study into 1 year. Never seen that show, but I do love a bit of CSI :-) x
Reply 9
Original post by Amy387
well im 25 so if that's mature then yes lol. I don't have any exams until next May luckily! So I have a whole year to revise altho I am going to be doing all 4 exams both AS and A2 in the same month so Im cramming 2 years worth of study into 1 year. Never seen that show, but I do love a bit of CSI :-) x

I would say so, yes :P! Ahh I see, you're lucky then you have a lot of time ahead of you. I hate the fact they have done away with January modules, it definitely made things easier. Judging from your love for CSI, you're gonna love criminal and forensic psychology. Good luck with everything :smile: x
Reply 10
thanks! you too :-) x
Reply 11
Original post by bell_wv
I would say so, yes :P! Ahh I see, you're lucky then you have a lot of time ahead of you. I hate the fact they have done away with January modules, it definitely made things easier. Judging from your love for CSI, you're gonna love criminal and forensic psychology. Good luck with everything :smile: x

Hiya, Hows the studies going? :-)
Reply 12
Hi Amy,

How are you getting on with your ICS course? Did you manage to return your materials?

I signed up for A level maths (also a mature student at 25!) and found the materials and tutor contact to be hopeless. I waited 6 weeks for my tutor to reply (he was on holiday for 6 weeks I'm told) and had some rubbish excuses from the quality assurance manager.

I am not allowed to return my course materials because that has to be done within 2 weeks or something. I'm so disappointed with ICS and feel completely cheated by them!

It's good to know that it's not just me - although I'm sure you'd agree it would be better to just have received a good service from them!

Lucie
Reply 13
Hi Am new to this and I want to start a course in human resource.
I torn between ics or home learning college ?
Can anyone advise which which I can go for?
Reply 14
Hi. Which one did you decide to join finally?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending