The Student Room Group

Is A Level Geography hard?

I'm thinking of doing AS & A2 in the same year next year.
The exam board will be Edexcel and I got a B at GCSE, however, that was 2 years ago, so I've forgotten quite a bit.
Is it a difficult A Level and do you think AS and A2 together in 1 year would be very hard? I really need some advice from people studying it at the moment!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Doing AS and A2 may be quite a big ask! The content is not necessarily hard, in that it all makes sense and quite a lot can be deducted from general knowledge and common sense.
The workload is quite heavy, and especially if you want a very good mark, your knowledge of the content (especially the compulsory case studies) has to be sound - statistics and specific detail seem to be what get you the very high marks.
I would recommend it though. I'm taking the AS exams next month, so I can only speak for the first year! It's interesting but hard work.
Reply 2
Original post by eat146
I'm thinking of doing AS & A2 in the same year next year.
The exam board will be Edexcel and I got a B at GCSE, however, that was 2 years ago, so I've forgotten quite a bit.
Is it a difficult A Level and do you think AS and A2 together in 1 year would be very hard? I really need some advice from people studying it at the moment!

i'm currently doing A2 geography with AQA, as said by the poster above, the content isn't necessarily difficult, but the thing is, there's a lot to remember, especially in terms of case studies! i found revising AS long enough on it's own, there's no way i would have been able to do AS and A2 in a year! (i got an A at GCSE, an A at AS and i'm predicted an A* at A2)
Reply 3
It isn't really hard to understand I find. But it is quite hard to get good test results, you have to have a sound knowledge of all of your case studies. To do well you kind of have to understand everything inside out as alot of the theory complements each other.
Reply 4
I think that Geography A-level is quite hard as workload is heavy, there's a lot of to learn especially in unit 1 and it's a big step from GCSE to A-level. Personally, I got A* (full marks) GCSE geography but A-level is so much harder so you have to work very hard if you want good grade :smile:
It is ranked the 6th hardest A Level subject, so yes pretty hard!

Quick Reply

Latest