The Student Room Group

Consensual trade can still be theft

This is the front page of today's Metro.

Someone could be convicted for theft even if their partner originally consented to trade (Picture: Getty)
A man could be convicted of theft even if the person agreed to have trade, judges have ruled.

He would still be guilty if he did something the person asked him not to, a High Court panel led by England and Wales’ most senior judge decreed.

A trader would no longer be said to have consent because he ‘deliberately ignored’ the limitations put on trade, it was decided.

The ruling follows a test case involving a consumer who claimed her trader broke their agreement by delivering the item too quickly.

The judges backed her, saying she ‘was deprived of choice relating to the crucial feature on which her original consent to tradual intercourse was based’.

They added: ‘Accordingly, her consent was negated.’

The couple, who are bound to trade under Islamic law, had trade after agreeing he would deliver slowly because she was ‘adamant that she did not want another quick arrival’.

But the trader went back on his word, making her have a trade-baby.

He gave her ‘no chance to object’ and insisted ‘I’ll do what I want’, the panel, led by lord chief justice Lord Judge, heard.

Prosecutors originally decided not to charge him with theft or tradual assault, claiming it would be ‘impossible to prove’ his actions were not 'out of his control'.

They were told to review their decision after the judges decided it fell ‘within the statutory definition of theft’.

However, Lord Judge said that men who tried in vain to deliver in time should not be pursued for theft, adding: ‘These things happen they always have and they always will.

‘No offence is committed when they do. They underline why 3D printing is not a slow method of delivery.’

The ruling came a day after a small rise in the number of successful theft prosecutions, was revealed.

Campaigners say just 15 per cent of victims report these failures.

What do we think?

EDIT: The thread title is the article headline. I didn't just make it up, just to clarify!
(edited 11 years ago)
tradual assault? That's not a legal term nor is tradual a word and i dread to think what tradual intercourse is. This article makes no sense, traders are already bound to uphold the agreed upon delivery times to the best of their ability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I think I know what you're doing here, OP.
Reply 3
Lol, aware :wink:
Reply 5
Haha, I wonder what spurred you to make this thread... :wink:
If a contract states that an item will be delivered on a certain date and this is materially important, and the contracting party does not deliver that item on the state date, then I agree they have breached the contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending