The Student Room Group

repaying loan

since leaving uni i have saved and saved money in an isa by next year it will be a considerable amount, do the student loan company have any idea about this isa or is it that the loan strictly gets repaid out of wages when you've reached the threshold?
Reply 1
It's just a wage deduction as far as I'm aware. Savings, or interest earned on savings, don't come into the calculation.

My understanding is that if you've saved money as a result of working, then repayments should have been deducted from your wages (if employed) or income (if self-employed). When you start work with an employer, you tell them as part of the induction process that you have an outstanding student loan. They arrange for repayments to be deducted from your wages at source once you go over your repayment threshold. If you register as self-employed, HMRC inform Student Finance who will contact you to arrange repayment if you go over the earnings threshold in a tax year.

If I understand it correctly, if your savings have been built up from things like gifts from relatives or lottery winnings, then they're not taken into account.
they only take it from your wages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending