The Student Room Group

I pick things up then I put them down..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mark85
I am a recent convert to these - what an exercise! Feelsgoodman.

Yeah I love them as well now. My favourite exercise apart from front squats!
Gym was packed today so could only do one warm-up set for my exercises.

Back squats
40kg 1x3
57kg 3x5

BP
40kg 1x3
45kg 3x5

DL
60kg 1x3
77kg 1x5

Inverted rows (setting 5):
1x12
1x10
Front squats
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
47kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
30kg 3x5 (finally!)
I'm going to do one more 3x5 30kg session before moving to 32kg.

Pendlay rows
20kg 1x5
30kg 3x5

Asisstance:

BW Dips
1x4
1x2 (should have got 3 on this but my rest time was inadequate)
1x2

Got about 70% of a chin up as well!
Original post by Mark85
I am a recent convert to these - what an exercise! Feelsgoodman.

Hey Mark for chin-ups, how far up do you go? Because I've seen some people in the gym that pull up for their upper arms are parallel to the floor and others that go up high enough so that their wrists almost touch their shoulders!
Reply 24
Original post by areebmazhar
Hey Mark for chin-ups, how far up do you go? Because I've seen some people in the gym that pull up for their upper arms are parallel to the floor and others that go up high enough so that their wrists almost touch their shoulders!

I go pretty much all the way - so my forearms are touching my biceps. I just try to make sure my chin literally is up i.e. above the bar. Whether this is correct or optimal I don't know - I would imagine it depends on your arm length etc.

I think that I am probably going to switch to pull ups soon though. I made a new friend in the gym who is a big mofo who seems clued up about training. Lol, we worked in together on a rack when I was squatting 80kg and he was curling it.

Anyways, he was talking about balance and he said it is one thing to say you do pushes and pulls equally but also - you have to think about pulling the shoulders back rather than haunching them forward. If you are doing decent chins then you should lock your shoulders in a fairly neutral position but when struggling for reps the tendency is for them to roll forward. If you do pull ups then this is less likely to happen. I kind of avoided them because they are less comfortable for my shoulders but he pointed out that that is just BS that avoids a problem rather than solving it.
It's hard to use your lats without pulling your shoulders down and back. If you dont do this you end up using your upper back I think.

I wanna start pullups also but got two more weeks on chinups. Itching to try weighted pulls with my shiny new belt.
(edited 11 years ago)
Back Squats
20kg 1x7
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
60kg 3x4

BP
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
47kg 3x5

DL
40kg 1x6
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
80kg 1x5 (really struggled with these-keeping the weight the same next session)

And getting very very close to being able to do a chin-up as well!
Reply 27
Original post by areebmazhar

And getting very very close to being able to do a chin-up as well!

Keep at it man - once you can do one the progress is quick because you can take that one chin-up and do it ten times per day (or whatever).

The bar I use for this at home is in the back yard so when I remember - I try and do a few chins or pulls every time I go out or come home. Think its called greasing the groove or something - the idea is you do a little bit (so just a number of reps you can easily do - you don't want to be going to failure) but you do it often and it doesn't interfere with your workouts.
Original post by Mark85
Keep at it man - once you can do one the progress is quick because you can take that one chin-up and do it ten times per day (or whatever).

The bar I use for this at home is in the back yard so when I remember - I try and do a few chins or pulls every time I go out or come home. Think its called greasing the groove or something - the idea is you do a little bit (so just a number of reps you can easily do - you don't want to be going to failure) but you do it often and it doesn't interfere with your workouts.

Nice, thanks for the tips. I felt something similar with dips, the hardest bit was being able to do one after weeks and weeks of training, 2 weeks after the first one I can do 5 or 6 now.
Gym was absolutely packed today-could only do one 1 warm-up set, not exactly ideal..

Front Squats
30kg 1x3
50kg 1x5

OHP
20kg 1x3
30kg 3x5

DL
60kg 1x3
80kg 1x5

Really need to do some grip work as my double overhand grip keeps failing, and I have to reset the grip after each rep :/
Reply 30
How can you only do one if it's busy? Surely once you're on a rack you can do what you want? Try hook grip.
Original post by Danny.
How can you only do one if it's busy? Surely once you're on a rack you can do what you want? Try hook grip.

It took me 40 minutes to get onto the squat rack, and then I was getting late for 9am lectures so had to rush things by only doing one warm-up set and reducing my rest time as well :smile: Would this not just hide my weak grip issue rather than address it? Sorry I'm a real noob to lifting..
Buy some chalk. My protein do a really good liquid chalk. Deads are just awesome for grip strength. I'm trying to hang off my bar and do back levers and grip strength has never been an issue, whereas previously simply trying chinups I sometimes had to reset my grip. Good grip and forearm strength is a must for many exercises so keep at it. Avoid mix grip where possible.
Original post by silent ninja
Buy some chalk. My protein do a really good liquid chalk. Deads are just awesome for grip strength. I'm trying to hang off my bar and do back levers and grip strength has never been an issue, whereas previously simply trying chinups I sometimes had to reset my grip. Good grip and forearm strength is a must for many exercises so keep at it. Avoid mix grip where possible.

Thanks a lot ninja-going to order some today!
Back Squats
20kg 1x8
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
62kg 3x5

BP
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
47kg 3x5

Attempted some chin-ups again and did some dips too.
Why didn't you put the weight up on BP? You did 47kg last time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My bench and OHP just do not increase well (maybe due to a high arm to torso length ratio?), 47kg still felt a little heavy and I knew for sure I couldn't get 3x5 50kg so just didn't attempt it. For BP and OHP I keep the same weight twice in a row, although now that you've mentioned it do you think this will make all my lifts really disproportionate or something?
How are you benching? Do you overly use shoulders and triceps? Do you pull your shoulders back? Maybe post a video. I'm sure the guys on here can help.

I guess the bottom line is if you're progressively increasing the weight then it doesn't really matter if you do the same weight twice.
Original post by silent ninja
How are you benching? Do you overly use shoulders and triceps? Do you pull your shoulders back? Maybe post a video. I'm sure the guys on here can help.

I guess the bottom line is if you're progressively increasing the weight then it doesn't really matter if you do the same weight twice.

Going to post a video when I have a chance. But I'm slightly arching the lower back, keeping shoulder blades pinned back, maybe I need to get my feet under me a little more-like I've seen some people do this on tsr. Atm I've just got my feet flat on the ground in front of the bench, if that makes sense.
And nice squat/DL numbers you're progressing nicely!

Quick Reply

Latest