The Student Room Group

I pick things up then I put them down..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Just had to add my voice to the chalk thing. It's really good and I wouldn't be able to train without it. It allows you to train heavier weights without worrying about grip, in turn training your grip! Win-win.
Original post by Becca
Just had to add my voice to the chalk thing. It's really good and I wouldn't be able to train without it. It allows you to train heavier weights without worrying about grip, in turn training your grip! Win-win.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to order some liquid chalk today as I'm pretty sure now that it's a necessity :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by areebmazhar
Really need to get some regular cardio going as well, atm the only cardio I'm getting is wrestling with gym supervisor every now and then.

Lol awesome meme :tongue:
Back squats
20kg 1x8
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
67kg 3x5
Felt really difficult for some reason-maybe because I had nothing to eat before and din't have enough water to drink either during the workout.

BP
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
50kg 3x5
Pretty easy-moving to 52kg by next week.

Pendlay rows
20kg 1x5
30kg 3x5
Really need to start rowing regularly, read an article on T-nation and I think Rippetoe or Wendler said that your rows should be a similar weight to your bench, so these really need work.

Assistance:

Dips
1x3
1x2
1x1

Chin-up Attempts
My biceps touched my forearm and chin went over the bar thing but still don't think it was a full one-pretty close though, should be able to do one by next week.

Concentration curls
8kg 2x8

Skull-crushers
10kg 2x8
Front squats
20kg 1x7
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
58.6kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
33.6kg 5 4 3
I should have got 3x5 but the front squats fried my shoulders. Might start OHPing before front squats from now on.

Deadlift
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
88.6kg 1x5
Grip felt much stronger as well-chalk order still not arrived though..
Reply 86
Nice workout log, how is your eating going?

Are you tracking your calories?

Also with the liquid chalk I find don't use the chalk unless you feel you have to, you should keep working on your grip without chalk for as long as possible. Also what workout program is it you are doing it seems similar to Starting Strength, I suggest some extra exercises I use to do private message me I will send you a link to the program I use to do. :smile:

Keep training you are making good strength gains!
Original post by AshleyF999
Nice workout log, how is your eating going?

Are you tracking your calories?

Also with the liquid chalk I find don't use the chalk unless you feel you have to, you should keep working on your grip without chalk for as long as possible. Also what workout program is it you are doing it seems similar to Starting Strength, I suggest some extra exercises I use to do private message me I will send you a link to the program I use to do. :smile:

Keep training you are making good strength gains!

Thanks, eating was slightly off for a while but then I sorted my act out and started focusing on the diet side of things as well. I'm going for 1600/1800 calories for rest/workout day-not much cardio yet. And it's pretty much ss but I'm alternating front squats with back squats :smile:
Yea Switch press and front squat if you reckon it will help.

I did it for a few weeks once and it helped, not sure if it was less tired or in my head but i felt fresher for pressing...
Original post by Motorbiker
Yea Switch press and front squat if you reckon it will help.

I did it for a few weeks once and it helped, not sure if it was less tired or in my head but i felt fresher for pressing...

Thanks, I've tried it once before as well and felt it helped, but then for some reason I just got into the habit of squatting first.
Back squats
20kg 1x10
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x2
60kg 1x1
68.6kg 3x5
Very close to failing the last rep on this, I think one of the reasons I'm finding squatting harder know is because I'm going really deep on all my reps whereas before I would just hit parallel.

BP
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x2
50kg 1x1
53.6kg 5 5 4
Absolutely delighted with this, adding 3.6kg from the last workout and only dropping a rep is good for me. Add to this the fact that I stupidly did a bodybuilding chest session with a friend yesterday and had really bad DOMS in my chest today. I really psyched myself up for it and went beast mode like Chris Jones does on PhysiquesofGreatness on youtube-people at the gym were just looking at me like wtf it's only 50kg or so, but it's good progression for me anyway :smile:

Pendlay rows
20kg 1x5
33.6kg 3x5
Well done on the bench and squat. Depth makes all the difference. Going an extra two inches increases the difficulty considerably hence it's difficult to compare people's squats (lot of cheap reps). First plate on bench is easily obtainable by Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
Well done on the bench and squat. Depth makes all the difference. Going an extra two inches increases the difficulty considerably hence it's difficult to compare people's squats (lot of cheap reps). First plate on bench is easily obtainable by Christmas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it feels good to go deeper as I feel it a lot more in my glutes as well. Yeah I'm optimistic now, first plate on bench is something I'm really looking forward to!
Thanks, it feels good to go deeper as I feel it a lot more in my glutes as well. Yeah I'm optimistic now, first plate on bench is something I'm really looking forward to!

It's a good feeling. Right up there with 2nd plate on squat and third plate on deadlift.

Last of the "n00b aims"...:biggrin:
First plate on bench is so satisfying! Not far off two plates on the deadlift either! Keep it up

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Motorbiker
It's a good feeling. Right up there with 2nd plate on squat and third plate on deadlift.

Last of the "n00b aims"...:biggrin:

Original post by RobJ93
First plate on bench is so satisfying! Not far off two plates on the deadlift either! Keep it up

Haha thanks guys :smile:
Crap session today :frown:

OHP
20kg 1x5
35kg 3 2 1
The gym is replacing the 1kg plates with 1.25kg plates but they chucked the 1kg plates away before the others arrived so it was either OHPing 30 or 35kg-at least I've got something to work on..

Front squat
20kg 1x8
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
60kg 4 3 2
First time I've failed squats-feels ****..

Deadlift
50kg 1x5
60kg 1x3
70kg 1x1
90kg 1x5
At least I got something decent!
Reply 97
Crap session today :frown:

It isn't a crap session. Feels like **** when you fail on exercises sometimes but it is part of progression and means you aren't bull****ting yourself by sticking to stuff you can already do.

Like, on OHP, that is more total weight than you have done before - it is progression; you are teaching your body to get used to pressing that weight and next time, you will almost certainly get more reps.

Also, with your front squats - you can't compare it immediately with your last session since if you are pressing first, you are tiring out your core to some extent from that. So you went into them more fatigued compared to last session. I know when I start to fail reps on press my core starts to want to loosen up. Sometimes when I grind a rep it is almost like a dance as I try to tense up and stay straight, lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd probably stick on that OHP weight next time. Smash a 4,4,3 and then drop to 32.5 and get a 3x5 easily. It's frustrating when you fail reps but as mark said, it's all a part of progression.

Original post by Mark85
It isn't a crap session. Feels like **** when you fail on exercises sometimes but it is part of progression and means you aren't bull****ting yourself by sticking to stuff you can already do.

Like, on OHP, that is more total weight than you have done before - it is progression; you are teaching your body to get used to pressing that weight and next time, you will almost certainly get more reps.

Also, with your front squats - you can't compare it immediately with your last session since if you are pressing first, you are tiring out your core to some extent from that. So you went into them more fatigued compared to last session. I know when I start to fail reps on press my core starts to want to loosen up. Sometimes when I grind a rep it is almost like a dance as I try to tense up and stay straight, lol.

Thanks, definitely just need to build up on the reps I think over the next few sessions. And that actually makes sense about OHPing first because I did that dance thing as well on my last reps as my core just loosened up. Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest