The Student Room Group

I pick things up then I put them down..

So I've lost about 4 stone so far and changed my lifestyle for the better, now time to get some muscle, get strong and become aesthetic.

Stats:
Height: 6ft
Weight: 92kg

Current PBs:

Back Squat 120kgx1
Sumo DL 190kgx1
Bench 90kgx2
OHP 50kgx4
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck.
Straight to the bar...seriously thought this thread was about you binging lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liftorrot
Good luck.

Thanks-been following your blog for a while now, awesome progress!
Original post by silent ninja
Straight to the bar...seriously thought this thread was about you binging lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, just realised that now. Not the best of titles :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by areebmazhar
Thanks-been following your blog for a while now, awesome progress!

Thanks, I am doing fine even though I get serious back pain every workout. :colondollar:
Pretty good fasted cardio session at the park, did about 10 minutes of HIIT followed by a 20 minute moderate intensity run. Definitely seen an improvement from the last time I ran-no stitches in my sides.

Although note to self, best to do a number 2 before my cardio, pretty close call :colondollar:
Had to wake up at 5:30 so I could workout before uni starts! Still got a good 7 hours of sleep though.

Squats (High-bar)
20kg 1x8
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
52kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
30kg 4 3 2

Deadlift
40kg 1x6
50kg 1x4
60kg 1x2
70kg 1x5

Assisstance work:
Inverted rows 2x4 (bar setting 5 on hammer strength rack thing)
Don't know how effective these are at the moment but really enjoy doing them) need to work on having less of an incline and increasing the reps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Damn you up early for a student. I've been at work since 7am, sucks I know.

Bodyweight rows, presumably inverted rows? They are awesome. Seem to hit higher on the back. The Smith machine is perfect for them. I've bought some rings that I'll attach to my pullup bar and do them at home. Can't wait until they arrive, so much stuff to try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Damn you up early for a student. I've been at work since 7am, sucks I know.

Bodyweight rows, presumably inverted rows? They are awesome. Seem to hit higher on the back. The Smith machine is perfect for them. I've bought some rings that I'll attach to my pullup bar and do them at home. Can't wait until they arrive, so much stuff to try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I meant-edited the post. Really felt them on my upper back and biceps quite a bit. Haha rings are awesome, I've seen so much stuff on youtube you can do with them and I'd like to try eventually. Although for now I'll focus on increasing reps on my one dip and getting strong enough to do a chin up.. :frown:
Reply 10
In to subscribe...

I need to get in on inverted rows until I can rep out a decent number of pulls/chins.

Those ring things look cool - they actually have some in our gym for a fitness class they do. Might actually just try the class (basically circuits but with cool stuff like rings kettlebells and sacks)
Original post by Mark85
In to subscribe...

I need to get in on inverted rows until I can rep out a decent number of pulls/chins.

Those ring things look cool - they actually have some in our gym for a fitness class they do. Might actually just try the class (basically circuits but with cool stuff like rings kettlebells and sacks)

Cheers! How many chins and pull-ups can you do atm?
Reply 12
Cheers! How many chins and pull-ups can you do atm?

Pulls I don't know but about 8 chins.
Original post by Mark85
In to subscribe...

Even if I can do 20 pullups I'd still do inverted rows (but maybe up the difficulty with weights or single arm). They're different to pullups. Rings add instability and that's always a good thing. Even pushups and dips should be fun on rings. I've been reading Overcoming Gravity (the Starting Strength of bodyweight and basic gymnastics exercises) and it's awesome all the stuff you can do. I don't ever expect to do insane moves like a Maltese or Iron Cross but there are plenty of beginner and intermediate exercises to keep you busy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Even if I can do 20 pullups I'd still do inverted rows (but maybe up the difficulty with weights or single arm). They're different to pullups. Rings add instability and that's always a good thing. Even pushups and dips should be fun on rings. I've been reading Overcoming Gravity (the Starting Strength of bodyweight and basic gymnastics exercises) and it's awesome all the stuff you can do. I don't ever expect to do insane moves like a Maltese or Iron Cross but there are plenty of beginner and intermediate exercises to keep you busy.

Definitely going to buy that book I think :biggrin:
Squats
20kg 1x8
30kg 1x5
40kg 1x3
50kg 1x1
55kg 3x5

Felt pretty good-still working on flexibility so I can go fully ATG.

BP
20kg 1x8
25kg 1x6
30kg 1x4
35kg 1x2
40kg 1x1
45kg 3x5

DL
40kg 1x6
50kg 1x4
60kg 1x2
70kg 1x1
75kg 1x5

Assistance work:

Inverted rows
1x8
Only had time for 1 set but definitely increased from the 4 I did on my first set last time.
My lifts are very close to what they were before my 10 day rest, I was squatting 60kg before but this was low-bar as I'm doing high bar now. I believe low bar squats allow for more weight due to the extra leverage but I'm not sure, has anyone who has squatted both styles got any idea on this? :smile:
15 minutes of HIIT this morning and it was brutal-cardio is so much tougher mentally than weightlifting. Also need to start adding in some bodyweight exercises-I don't think they're too much CNS intensive so shouldn't be too much of a problem adding them in.
Front squats
20kg 1x5
30kg 1x3
40kg 1x1
45kg 3x5

OHP
20kg 1x5
30kg 5 4 3

DL
40kg 1x5
50kg 1x3
60kg 1x1
75kg 1x5

Assistance work:

Inverted rows
2x10 (setting 5)

BW dips
1x3
1x1
1x1

Really happy with the dips-could barely do one last week!
Reply 19

Really happy with the dips-could barely do one last week!

I am a recent convert to these - what an exercise! Feelsgoodman.

Quick Reply

Latest