The Student Room Group

People who have had hospital work experience ... Help?

Hi everyone :smile:

Last week I wrote 11 letters to all the hospitals within a 3 hour radius of my house and I still have had no reply. I wrote to three hospices/care homes as well and I've had one reply which is promising :smile: but my question is how long would it take the hospitals to reply? Eg after how long will it be obvious that they have all just ignored my letters? (In which case I'll send more:tongue:)

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My wording was a bit poor - I meant I wrote a single letter to all eleven hospitals, which therefore equated to eleven letters :biggrin:
Reply 2
Do you have a family friend or any tenuous connection whatsoever to a hospital? Doesn't even necessarily have to be a doctor - researcher, nurse, whatever is also a potential way to get some. It sounds awful but this is honestly the best/easiest way to get hospital work experience. I managed to get experience quite smoothly through this route - my friend who had no route sent off a dozen letters, rang them every few days and the best they got was to be a volunteer on a ward buying people newspapers. That would be my advice, if you can possibly swing anything.
Reply 3
Original post by seaholme
Do you have a family friend or any tenuous connection whatsoever to a hospital? Doesn't even necessarily have to be a doctor - researcher, nurse, whatever is also a potential way to get some. It sounds awful but this is honestly the best/easiest way to get hospital work experience. I managed to get experience quite smoothly through this route - my friend who had no route sent off a dozen letters, rang them every few days and the best they got was to be a volunteer on a ward buying people newspapers. That would be my advice, if you can possibly swing anything.

Thanks for your reply :smile: sadly I don't :frown: obviously I know my GP but she doesn't offer any shadowing at all :frown:
Email them, its usually quicker. And also call them if you haven't had a reply by the end of next week!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Email them, its usually quicker. And also call them if you haven't had a reply by the end of next week!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't find any hospital emails :frown: I live in a rural area in Scotland and the hospitals are quite small! Okay thank you, that sounds reasonable because then I would have left about two weeks :smile: I also sent them all with 1st class stamps, darn!
Reply 6
I'd call them if i was you, whilst e-mails and letters can be forgotten about they aren't going to just hang up on you. Call the PALS service if it's volunteering that you're interested in or if you're interested in doing work experience in a certain speciality find a consultant online and then call switchboard and ask to be put through to their secretary who would hopefully be able to work something out for you. I find that the best approach for these types of situations is to be direct.
Well for one thing, you'll need to be more specific to each hospital and exactly what area of the hospital it is that you want experience in.

Sending a generic letter might be obvious that it is generic in its wording or what have you.

Also, do you have any contacts that you may know working in the hospital or knowing someone who does? Contacts are usually the best way to get work experience.

As well as contacts, see if the hospital have any summer schemes for prospective medics be it a week work experience in the hospital going around the different departments and gaining experience from that.

Good luck!
Reply 8
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Well for one thing, you'll need to be more specific to each hospital and exactly what area of the hospital it is that you want experience in.

Sending a generic letter might be obvious that it is generic in its wording or what have you.

Also, do you have any contacts that you may know working in the hospital or knowing someone who does? Contacts are usually the best way to get work experience.

As well as contacts, see if the hospital have any summer schemes for prospective medics be it a week work experience in the hospital going around the different departments and gaining experience from that.

Good luck!

The hospitals near me are very small, there's not an A&E department closer than an hour's drive .. I have no contacts at all so I have to do it all by myself unfortunately. They also don't have any summer schemes. I just feel like giving up, it would be easier learning Hungarian on a unicycle than getting work experience :confused:
Original post by Faye__1996
The hospitals near me are very small, there's not an A&E department closer than an hour's drive .. I have no contacts at all so I have to do it all by myself unfortunately. They also don't have any summer schemes. I just feel like giving up, it would be easier learning Hungarian on a unicycle than getting work experience :confused:

Well, ask friends if they know someone close who works in a hospital or is involved somehow.

Write more specific letters, you don't have to work in A&E specifically, you can try to get some work experience in research or shadowing, so be specific talking about the work of whoever you're writing to and why you want to experience it. What do you want to gain from it.

Maybe even go in person and show interest, even if it may be shadowing! Shadow perhaps a local GP, go in and ask if you can. Be persistent. A copy of 1 letter perhaps conjured up in a day or 2 won't show the passion and interest that would come across with specific letters or in person.
Reply 10
phone them. thats how i got mine sorted. be very clear about what you want and why you want it (ie shadowing one of the consultants and his team, ideally for a week, as you are applying to *insert course* and need work experience)
also, an easy route is to ask about volunteering. my local hospital is always taking on volunteers (i assume itll be the same for most hospitals/?), i did it for over a year. i was able to get loads of work experience from that, i literally just asked the nurses/doctors on my ward if i could possibly shadow them. you dont get any proper training to volunteer, you just need a crb check and i got a day of talks/videos about health and safety, confidentiality, proper conduct, what we're not allowed to do etc, but its all common sense stuff.

oh and not all of the wards allow shadowing - my local a and e didnt allow it
Reply 11
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Well, ask friends if they know someone close who works in a hospital or is involved somehow.

Write more specific letters, you don't have to work in A&E specifically, you can try to get some work experience in research or shadowing, so be specific talking about the work of whoever you're writing to and why you want to experience it. What do you want to gain from it.

Maybe even go in person and show interest, even if it may be shadowing! Shadow perhaps a local GP, go in and ask if you can. Be persistent. A copy of 1 letter perhaps conjured up in a day or 2 won't show the passion and interest that would come across with specific letters or in person.

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely try asking in person :smile:
I'm baffled at how so many people get clinical work experience. I can only get admin work in GP's.

I asked my mum who's a midwife to ask whether a pre-medical student could work in a hospital and they declined on the basis that it would be pointless for someone with zero knowledge in the area to shadow a doctor. Everyone else seems to get clinical experience easily.

Anyway I am rambling on. Are there disability schools near you? I worked in one for a while and it was a great experience. Learnt practical skills, administrative skills and was taught about policies like safeguarding; all of which is very applicable to medicine.
Reply 13
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
I'm baffled at how so many people get clinical work experience. I can only get admin work in GP's.

I asked my mum who's a midwife to ask whether a pre-medical student could work in a hospital and they declined on the basis that it would be pointless for someone with zero knowledge in the area to shadow a doctor. Everyone else seems to get clinical experience easily.

Anyway I am rambling on. Are there disability schools near you? I worked in one for a while and it was a great experience. Learnt practical skills, administrative skills and was taught about policies like safeguarding; all of which is very applicable to medicine.

Hi :smile: are you studying medicine or are going to apply? And if you don't mind me asking how much relevant work experience do/did you have? There's a disability school where I live actually, really small so I'm not sure if it will offer we but I'll try :smile: did you take time out of school for it? Thanks!
Hi :smile: are you studying medicine or are going to apply? And if you don't mind me asking how much relevant work experience do/did you have? There's a disability school where I live actually, really small so I'm not sure if it will offer we but I'll try :smile: did you take time out of school for it? Thanks!

I'm applying this year during my gap year. I think I'll be in a much stronger position to apply next year with grades in hand than with my current predicted.

In terms of relevant work experience, I have:
2 weeks admin work in the maternity department of my local hospital
7 weeks work experience at the local disability school
(going to do) 2 weeks work experience in the GP office
Volunteering at St Johns Ambulance

It's not much in comparison to other applicants, but I've definitely drawn a lot of experience from these placements which I can talk about.

What I did with the disability school was whenever I had a half day from school, I would spend the remainder of the day down there. My school wouldn't allow me to take a block period out, so I just did ~12 hours a week down there. Try and apply there if you can, it's a lot of fun. I was able to learn Makaton (sign language), a load of policies and disabilities and a lot of other things. It was just something new to me.
Phone them! A bit of pestering goes a long way :biggrin: It shows you're eager too
Reply 16
In my local area it was slightly easier, there was a work experience programme set up at a local hospital. It can often be really difficult to get a place within a hospital because of the sensitivity of the work that goes on there, so you might struggle getting an offer.

I had a friend that got a placement with a GP, so that's an option to try as well if you haven't tried it already.
Reply 17
Hi everyone :smile:

Last week I wrote 11 letters to all the hospitals within a 3 hour radius of my house and I still have had no reply. I wrote to three hospices/care homes as well and I've had one reply which is promising :smile: but my question is how long would it take the hospitals to reply? Eg after how long will it be obvious that they have all just ignored my letters? (In which case I'll send more:tongue:)

Thanks!

I think that if they don't reply to your letters soon, don't be afraid to go down and ask at reception where you can find the person who organises work experience in the hospital. If there isn't a proper person who organises it, then don't give up, receptionists can be really helpful, so maybe ask them if they know of any nice doctors who would be willing for you to shadow them/previous shadowing experiences. I think going there in person makes it harder to ignore you, which is good! :smile:

Wk exp is really hard if you dont have a contact. Me and my friend both applied at the same time for wk exp for the same week, but they got it and i didnt, because their mum was a nurse in the hospital.

Otherwise, your school may be able to help you, or some medical courses. I went to a medical careers seminar at my local hospital which organised wk exp for me which was great :smile:
Reply 18
Thanks for your reply :smile: sadly I don't :frown: obviously I know my GP but she doesn't offer any shadowing at all :frown:

I wonder you could ask your GP if she has any colleagues or any friends from training/med school who would be able to help out? Like most others have said, it's probably worth phoning or going in person to ask - because it's so easy for people to ignore letters and emails and the rest. But it'll look really good on you if you actually ask, because it shows you're genuinely interested. However, you already have a lot planned, and it's not 100% needed as such to have hospital experience to get into uni. As long as you do something that shows your compassion and interest in the field in general you should be alright. After all, you won't be the only one who has difficulty finding experience! :smile: Good luck!
Reply 19
Step 1: Google "Gap Medics",
Step 2: Win.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending