The Student Room Group

Edexcel C1, C2 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
What don't you get about C2 calculus specifically? What's an example of a Q?

I understand calculus but applying it... I find pretty hard. I guess I just need to practise it more.
In differentiation, how do you know if the points on a graph are a minimum or maximum? I get confused! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nitrogen
Me, Im doing C1. I generally only do past papers and I never do the solomons. I have to say though that C1 papers are getting harder year by year.

What are solomons?
Original post by jamesandrew93
I understand calculus but applying it... I find pretty hard. I guess I just need to practise it more.
In differentiation, how do you know if the points on a graph are a minimum or maximum? I get confused! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

By redifferentiating to find f''(x). If f''(x)> 0 then it's a minimum. If it's <0 then point is maximum.
N.B you may need to substitute in the x coordinates you found for stationary points when you did f'(x)=0
definitely bricking it for next Monday.....
Can someone confirm that C2 is on the 24th of this month 9am? Cheers!
Original post by James A
Can someone confirm that C2 is on the 24th of this month 9am? Cheers!

Yep. That is the date n time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Relaxedexams
Yep. That is the date n time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Blimey, these exams are close.

You doing C2?
Original post by James A
Blimey, these exams are close.

You doing C2?

Yep. Got 3 exams exluding c2 in that week :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 68
Original post by CelloForLife
What are solomons?
Papers that are harder than the usual ones. Requires a lot more thinking.
C1 and C2, good times, when maths was easy....
Original post by reubenkinara
By redifferentiating to find f''(x). If f''(x)> 0 then it's a minimum. If it's <0 then point is maximum.
N.B you may need to substitute in the x coordinates you found for stationary points when you did f'(x)=0

Oh I thought that was it. I just wasn't sure enough! Thanks for clarification though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamesandrew93
Oh I thought that was it. I just wasn't sure enough! Thanks for clarification though :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. Each time to differentiate it measures the rate of change of the integral of that differential. So f'(x) shows rate of change for f(x). F"(x) measure the rate of change for f'(x) and so on.
doing C2, pretty confident for an A, but my school is pushing all of us to try and get 100 UMS :|
Untitled.pngCan someone please help me with this question! I need part (b) , I would really appreciate a picture of how you did it, if not, an explanation is just fine! thank you :love::pal:
Untitled.pngCan someone please help me with this question! I need part (b) , I would really appreciate a picture of how you did it, if not, an explanation is just fine! thank you :love::pal:

The discriminant is less than zero so b^2-4ac is less than zero. Then subsite values and solve the inequality with a graphy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Undisclosed 15
The discriminant is less than zero so b^2-4ac is less than zero. Then subsite values and solve the inequality with a graphy

Posted from TSR Mobile

The question says "Hence" which means that you have to use your result from part a) and not the discriminant :no:

What did you get fot part a)? There will be no real solutions for when the 'bit' in the square root is less than 0... :smile:
Im not prepared for c1 or c2 just s1 I have a feeling I wont be getting good grades in maths :frown:
Guys does anyone have the REVISION GUIDE FOR C1 OR C2? It would be MUCH appreciated,, I really need it
Original post by usycool1
The question says "Hence" which means that you have to use your result from part a) and not the discriminant :no:

What did you get fot part a)? There will be no real solutions for when the 'bit' in the square root is less than 0... :smile:

For part (a) I got the final answer as the pictureUntitledb.png
Reply 79
For part (a) I got the final answer as the pictureUntitledb.png

Looks good, now 4k2+k<04k^2+k<0 is the range at which the equation has no real roots (there are imaginary roots at this range).You need to solve this inequality. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending