The Student Room Group

How to get an A* in GCSE RS/RE?

I'm sitting AQA GCSE Religious Studies B Unit 3 (Religion and Morality) in a few weeks' time; I sat Unit 6 last year and got a few marks off an A* but I really want an A* overall. Everyone on here says it's such a doss subject but I'm finding it difficult to achieve the highest marks in practice papers :confused:. I don't do badly by any means but I need about 60-65/72 in the real exam to achieve an overall A* (according to past grade boundaries), which I'm not currently achieving. Please help

EDIT: why the negs? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I got an a* in gcse re and although I can't rembember much about it the most important think is to look at the marks for each question e.g if its 8 marks make sure you put in your 4 points each worth 2 marks and expand on it. Alot of it is making sure you know enough points for all of your topics.
write down everything you know

if you think it might get you a mark, write it down

you dont lose marks for saying things that are wrong
Depends on the number of marks, but in general;
One religion thinks this, quote, another religion may disagree, quote, I think... (your conclusion). And I think that's how I got an A*.

Edit; in reply to what the person above says, DON'T write everything you know, you don't have to and it's a waste of time, and you will run out of time unless you're a speedy writer, but that's just adding extra unnecessary pressure on yourself.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
The worst thing you could do is spend too much time on one section and not enough in the other its basically a mark a minute I got an a* in edexcel re and what I did was buy a text book for each section highlight the key word of a particular reason/argument which you just remember, and if your asked a question about the topic you'll remember that highlighted word and expand on it, it saves time you thinking on the spot
Hope that helps
Best thing I found to do was to know any definitions of key words (such as transubstantiation, eucharist, virgin birth etc.) and to try to remember points and quotes from the Bible/regligious texts.

For example, my GCSE papers were on Christianity and I tried to remember any quotes in the Bible such as 1 Corinthians 13, any of the Ten Commandments and try to link them to any religious/anti-religious arguments :smile:
Remember as many quotes as you can in order to back up your points with evidence. Also keep in mind how many marks there are for a particular question and write proportionally e.g. if it's a 6 mark question, there's really no point writing a whole side.

PS. Use the word 'transubstantiation'. According to my GCSE RE teacher, if you use it, you'll get an A* haha. :tongue: :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Write so as including some think, others think, I think. Offer your own opinion with any factual content. Be as individual as you like. Disagree with questions if they seem to make no sense to you. When getting your opinions down, simply include some reasons. A
Reply 8
I got an A* in RE at GCSE (full marks, to be exact) by making up the Bible quotes and doing the required amount of waffling :biggrin: seriously, just make your point, go into a bit of detail explaining it and back it up with a religious quote of some sort. Don't spend too long on one question, use the "mark a minute" rule as a guide for how long you should spend on each question, and more importantly, don't panic :smile:
i have a re exam nest week and i really wnna get a star and make my parents proud of me how shall i but i have been revising a lot plus we had a re test about 2 weeks ago and i got a d but was 1 mark of a c
I took my RE GCSE last year and got 71 out of 74. How i revised was right down 4 things for each page as you will never need to know more than 4 points for and against a point as that woul dbe a c question. i read over those over and over and thendo all past papers available to me. once i have done that and read the points i then learn teh keywords for the a questions and thats it....took me 2 hours....
Reply 11
I got an A by saying I wasn't religious and putting my reasons why. No idea how that happened.
Reply 12
All you need to so is get A but I get A and they call me "a rahama" :smile:
Reply 13
i'd probably start with question e as it has the most marks. for question e i would use the sonic stucture( some christians, other christians, non-christians, i believe, conclusion)
Original post by tgryt
i'd probably start with question e as it has the most marks. for question e i would use the sonic stucture( some christians, other christians, non-christians, i believe, conclusion)

Have you had a look at how old this thread is? Lol

Quick Reply

Latest