The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Are Nazi Symbols Banned In Britain?

I know of Germany and France.

But could a citizen in Britain display/wear Nazi symbols? (Just a curious query - it has nothing to do with me personally)

i.e. Would somebody be charged if they go around the street (without disturbing the peace or whatnot) holding a Swastika flag or wearing a Nazi uniform?

More importantly, if the answer is "no" to the first, should people be allowed to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think so- well, Prince Harry didn't get arrested anyway, but I don't know what that proves =P
Wearing a Nazi uniform for fancy dress reasons and the like is legal, it would only become illegal if you were doing something that could be seen as inciting racial hatred such as marching down the road chanting bring out the Jews.
Original post by Darth Stewie
Wearing a Nazi uniform for fancy dress reasons and the like is legal, it would only become illegal if you were doing something that could be seen as inciting racial hatred such as marching down the road chanting bring out the Jews.

Oh, that's alright about fancy dress then (I just remembered about Harry). But just casually wearing it - would it get you arrested? I know in Germany and France they're not too fond of all of that and rightly so.

Again, I don't want to be seen as showing an interest in this - it's just something a friend was talking about and I got curious. :smile:
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
Oh, that's alright about fancy dress then (I just remembered about Harry). But just casually wearing it - would it get you arrested? I know in Germany and France they're not too fond of all of that and rightly so.

Again, I don't want to be seen as showing an interest in this - it's just something a friend was talking about and I got curious. :smile:

It would probably come down to why exactly you were wearing it, or more accurately, if you could provide a good excuse to why you were wearing it if the police get complaints or see you in it. Although wearing it casually isn't illegal i doubt a police officer would believe anyone would just wear a SS uniform because they like the craftsmanship. Even so you probably wouldn't be arrested, for instance a number of people from a west Yorkshire village decided to greet a German delegation while donning full SS gear and they faced no legal charges. If a police officer thinks you don't have a good reason to be wearing the uniform they will probably just ask you to go home and change, unless its a Jewish police officer in which case you will probably need a proctologist to remove his truncheon from your rectum.
Reply 5
well the swastika isnt exactly a Nazi symbol, they adopted it but isnt didnt create it, I know buddhists use it even on buddha statues.
Reply 6
Original post by Terk
well the swastika isnt exactly a Nazi symbol, they adopted it but isnt didnt create it, I know buddhists use it even on buddha statues.

I believe it goes the other way in Buddhism, so is technically a different symbol.
I think the poster above is right, it depends on whether you can give a good explanation. My history teacher had a full-size Nazi flag (alongside various other infamous symbols) in his class for years, but it was fine cause obviously he could explain the historical relevance. But he probably would have got in deep **** for hanging it in a maths classroom.
Original post by Terk

The Nazi Swastika is rotated about 45 degrees from the swastika seen in religion, so there is a clear difference between the Nazi Symbol and the religious symbol.
Utterly the wrong way round. In Nazi Germany you may have had to justify the way you want to dress but not in the UK.

Here, if anyone wants to stop you they have to prove you are breaking the law.
My husband and and I love the look of the national uniform, after all it was Hugo Boss that designed it, especially the S'S uniform. We ate mot anti -semetic but love the way it looks. Can we be prosecuted for wearing it?

But could a citizen in Britain display/wear Nazi symbols? (Just a curious query - it has nothing to do with me personally)

i.e. Would somebody be charged if they go around the street (without disturbing the peace or whatnot) holding a Swastika flag or wearing a Nazi uniform?

More importantly, if the answer is "no" to the first, should people be allowed to?

Its banned in my country as well (Hungary) and pretty much all of the EU countries which sided with Germany in the war. The UK didnt so it isnt as much of a sensitive issue here.

Of course people should be allowed to. Should the hammer and sickle be banned? What about the red star? What about the fasces, or the yoke and arrows?

Additionally, it would never be banned do to the religious significance of the symbol in Jainism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
I really cant think of 1 single legitimate reason for wearing a WWII uniform or any nazi insignia in public. There are even very specific rules in place in several countries prohibiting the importation of such things obviously Germany, Austria
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9329730/Nazi-uniforms-banned-from-1940s-weekend-after-visitors-came-as-SS-officers.html

Larpers and vintage enthusiasts are sometimes allowed to wear them at events. But not all events, often on WWII weekends there is a rule put out beforehand saying that people in Nazi regalia won't be admitted.

A friend of mine who is a dominatrix wears one at work sometimes.

I can't see a reason for somebody to wear them outside of a film set or museum though. It's pretty distasteful.
Original post by Friffinghell
A friend of mine who is a dominatrix wears one at work sometimes.

:shock:

:spank:

Posted from TSR Mobile

More importantly, if the answer is "no" to the first, should people be
allowed to?

JUST DO IT so many things that are not even meant to be offensive are being banned by the PC brigade they make me sick i have a nazi flag also the rising sun and the confederate flag , its all real history ,like it or not every country in the world has blood on its flag so what the hell! hey and dont forget to ask sleeping beauty if you can give her a kiss you could be charged with sexual assault!...for Christ sake where will these idiots try to take us
Reply 18
That's a joke banned in Hungary lol đŸ˜‚Hungary were allies of the Nazi regime until 1944.Then they realised that they were backing the losing side and for this they tried to weasel their way out. The nazi regime then took over Hungary and interned the Jewish population into death camps. Two faced banning the Nazi flag, especially as they were one of the main contributors to Nazi Germany being successful.
Original post by Esponia
That's a joke banned in Hungary lol đŸ˜‚Hungary were allies of the Nazi regime until 1944.Then they realised that they were backing the losing side and for this they tried to weasel their way out. The nazi regime then took over Hungary and interned the Jewish population into death camps. Two faced banning the Nazi flag, especially as they were one of the main contributors to Nazi Germany being successful.

Perhaps like German guilt, that is why it's banned.

Latest