The Student Room Group

How do i get another pet?

Hi,
I have a cat already and i do an animal course at college but no matter what i say to my dad, he will not let me have another pet, i only want something small. Its not like i wouldn't look after it.

Everyone at college has multiple pets and they do better in their work, I've told my dad this but he doesn't care.

Is there anything else i can try?
Reply 1
Small animals smell. I can see where your dad's coming from.
Reply 2
Small animals only smell when you fail to clean them out properly. I am not going to do this so your argument is invalid!
Reply 3
Why do people with pets do better? Offer to buy it yourself, keep it in your room and take 100% responsibility for it?
Reply 4
As they can compare their animals, whereas i have to research them, which is harder. i have tried all those but nothing.
Reply 5
Kidnap your father and force him to be your pet
An animal course at college, with people who do better based on comparing their pets?

Wut...
Reply 7
You should adopt a pet because you like it and want to take care of it, not because everyone has one.
Reply 8
Original post by You Failed
An animal course at college, with people who do better based on comparing their pets?

Wut...

You have to assess behaviours of animals etc. and so by having your own pet with 24/7 access whenever you want is pretty handy when trying to do an assignment rather than trying to convince a neighbour to let you stalk his dog or something.

Probably shouldn't suggest this, but is there not a way you can sneak in a small pet? A hamster or something? Inexpensive, small, 'short lived' and as long as you can handle the burrowing and wheel spinning noises at night then I don't see why you can't keep it in your room.
Original post by Mayden
You have to assess behaviours of animals etc. and so by having your own pet with 24/7 access whenever you want is pretty handy when trying to do an assignment rather than trying to convince a neighbour to let you stalk his dog or something.

Probably shouldn't suggest this, but is there not a way you can sneak in a small pet? A hamster or something? Inexpensive, small, 'short lived' and as long as you can handle the burrowing and wheel spinning noises at night then I don't see why you can't keep it in your room.

I'm not questioning the fact that it's easier if you have a pet, I'm questioning the fact that a course where one must have a pet to observe exists in the first place. Bizarre.
Reply 10
Does your college not have animal rooms? If you need to observe different animals why don't you go in there for a while and watch them? Getting a pet just for you to observe, which has the potential to live for several years, and I presume you want to get a job/Uni pretty soon is not a very good idea imo, and something you should be taught about in your course.
Reply 11
I'm not questioning the fact that it's easier if you have a pet, I'm questioning the fact that a course where one must have a pet to observe exists in the first place. Bizarre.

You don't NEED one, it's just so so much easier to have one. :smile:
Original post by Mayden
You don't NEED one, it's just so so much easier to have one. :smile:

I know! I understand all this! You seem to be misunderstanding, I'm questioning the entire premise of a course whereby students need/do better, when they have pets to observe. A course where you sit and watch an animal seems very odd.
Reply 13
I know! I understand all this! You seem to be misunderstanding, I'm questioning the entire premise of a course whereby students need/do better, when they have pets to observe. A course where you sit and watch an animal seems very odd.

Ohh! Haha. Well you can't be an animal conservator if you don't know what animals do! :cool:
Reply 14
I have more pets than you, I do better at College. logic.
Reply 15
I am not saying that i only want a pet for college. Just that it would help greatly. My college is two hours away on the bus and so by having another pet at home, i wouldn't have to travel so far. I would have 24 hour access to my animal whereas wouldn't see all the behaviors if i had to travel there everyday. Its not the only reason i want a pet but it would help a great deal.

Quick Reply

Latest