The Student Room Group

Can't anybody else wait until university is finished?

Scroll to see replies

Depressing thread to read when you're going to uni in September :tongue:
Although I love my friends I have made at uni I enjoy the freedom its brings and my course I really dont enjoy uni life as a whole. I worked solidly for a year working and paying my way And i cant deal with being with people who have never worked a single day in their life whose only concern is getting drunk etc etc. Im bored of the clubbing the drinking etc and have found I only have 2 really close friends whereas the rest are just going out friends.

I find it quite boring that people are just content to get drunk sleep in all day and repeat the cycle, i wish people actually got of their arses at uni and did something with their life mayvbe im just mixing with the wrong crowd but i just find the people at uni frustrating
No more essays. No more exams. No more studying things I don't give a **** about. No more having to think about work all of the time, and feeling guilty when I'm not. No more having to spend my life pretending to be doing something important, none of the work I did in the last few years was actually for anything. No more worrying about all the pointless work I've got to do.

I'm not fussed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Uni has mentally destroyed me, I've just finished my second year and i can't wait to be done next year. A lot of people on my course are bitches and think they're already professionals in this industry. Luckily we don't have to do any more group work next year because I hate it so much. Lecturers think that if we do group work we get prepared for jobs and stuff but if I had a job were I constantly had to deal with bitches I'd complain to my boss or quit it. I'm an honest person and if I disagree with someone I clearly tell them. I don't tell them in a rude way but some bitches just can't deal with it when you say your opinion. If you've got issues with people and you can't sort them out yourself, lecturers don't do anything to help you. I once felt like I was bullied by a person and I didn't go to uni for a few days because I was scared of that person, I emailed two of my lecturers to tell them about it but never got a reply.

Also, I feel like our lecturers are trying to turn us all into career-obsessed little bitches. If we don't get a job in a big well-known company we're worth nothing according to them. They keep on telling us that we are "products" and we all need to have a certain personality to get a job. For example, if you're an introverted person apparently you won't get a job in this industry. I don't think this is true at all because I've had a bit of work experience in the industry and I've met all different personality types.

I don't hate my course, I enjoy the things that I'm learning but my career is not the most important thing in my life. I'd happily work in a smaller company or be self-employed. I just want to use my creativity and I don't want to change myself for any job or career.

I really enjoy life outside uni, most of my friends are at different unis but in the same city, or they are working professionals. I've met lots of interesting people but none of them are on my course. I like the city where I live and the nightlife is pretty good too. :smile:
Original post by forgetamine
Uni has mentally destroyed me, I've just finished my second year and i can't wait to be done next year. A lot of people on my course are bitches and think they're already professionals in this industry. Luckily we don't have to do any more group work next year because I hate it so much. Lecturers think that if we do group work we get prepared for jobs and stuff but if I had a job were I constantly had to deal with bitches I'd complain to my boss or quit it. I'm an honest person and if I disagree with someone I clearly tell them. I don't tell them in a rude way but some bitches just can't deal with it when you say your opinion. If you've got issues with people and you can't sort them out yourself, lecturers don't do anything to help you.

As a female, your use of the word bitches is just sooooooooo eloquent. Also, please don't feel obliged to answer, but what do you study and how were you being bullied?
Original post by Randomized
Yes and no, really. I have absolutely zero motivation to study my course anymore and i've limped my way through this year. God knows how i'll manage a dissertation or anything else next year. Plus, a lot of the friends I made in first year really don't bother with me anymore. However i like the city, and i've got a job here which I really enjoy. I'd rather **** in my hands and clap than move back home. The thought of having to leave this city is absolutely soul destroying and i'm going to do whatever it takes to ensure that doesn't happen.

What city is that?
Reply 26
Could you please describe what the "bitchy" people do? I need to prepare in case I meet similar course mates. Are they cocky in the uni and think that a degree is going to get them job immediately? :biggrin: When I started studying Computer Science on my own, I found that there are so so so much for me to strive that I will NOT be pro even after four years at great university. Similarly, other down-to-earth people told me...you just must to start working for a company. My friend thought he knew a lot because he graduated with a first and 85% score. He was wrong. He learned more in industry then in uni in half the time. There just was amazing and incredible co-workers who gave such a boost to his learning that he admitted that university was a total waste, he'd better went to company and start working. :}

Now about professors saying get into big company. This is dangerous for your career. In my company, you're a needle in haystack - it is almost impossible to stand out which hinders the progress. Of course, some prefer working longer until they're promoted but to me the most important thing is to do my best and be seen.
Reply 27
It's a very unique lifestyle, to say the least. I think in first year most people (usually) enjoy university because of the lack of responsibility and the freedom and so on. By third year, a lot of people I've spoken to are longing for a bit more structure in their lives and in some cases are wanting to hang out with more mature people and so on. So I can definitely see where the OP is coming from.

My course is 95% girls and there's about 130 of us, so that's a LOT of girls. However, I think I've been lucky in that we're a good year group- most people are very friendly and there's no real bitchiness or anything.

I have to admit I'm one of those people who loves uni life and everything about it, but that might be because my version of 'uni life' isn't quite the norm- I mean, don't get me wrong, there have been plenty of nights out and crazy shenanigans and what have you, but I've made sure that alongside that and studying I did as much other stuff as possible- part time job, internship, radio show, squash, debating, volunteering, and so on. THAT'S what I love about uni life: it's the one time when you can do pretty much anything! And through these things I've been lucky to meet lots of lovely people. Add the fact that I adore my course and, well, it's been a good three years. The only negative is that campus life where I am can be a bit of a bubble, so I'm looking forward to actually living in a city next year- but on the other hand, campus life is probably one of the reasons why I've felt so at home here, as in 'real life', you don't bump into friends wherever you go. So I'm definitely going to miss that.

I will agree that group work is a PAIN and I'm very glad I haven't had to do much of it over the past three years. Putting people into random groups and hoping everyone will do their fair share just never works out.
Reply 28
Original post by super_kawaii
I honestly can't wait to start work on my dissertation-I know it sounds seriously nerdy, but it's true! I've wanted to do this course all my life so finally being able to study it in depth is an absolute dream come true! Studying culture in such depth really excites me and I wish I could do cultural modules now, although sadly all my credits are taken up by compulsory language modules.

I may have exaggerated slightly about the dissertation.* I was pretty much in the same situation - doing a course and subject I am mad keen on. I loved diving into the research as well, but it does become a bit of a grind - there are aspects of any dissertation that will invariably become tedious. If you identify a subject that really excites you that's half the battle though.

*Unwritten rule of dissertation-writing: Always exaggerate when speaking to others how poorly things are going, how far behind you are, and/or just how bad your predicament is. Proudly announcing you've just finished your final draft three months before deadline is social suicide. :cool:
Original post by hecandothatfromran
As a female, your use of the word bitches is just sooooooooo eloquent. Also, please don't feel obliged to answer, but what do you study and how were you being bullied?

Uhm why not? I don't see myself as the bitchy sort of girl, I'm quite laid back and avoid those "bitch fights" that others on my course seem to have all the time. My course is in the business field and I was bullied by a girl, she was doing several things to make me look bad in front of lecturers and other students.
Original post by forgetamine
Uhm why not? I don't see myself as the bitchy sort of girl, I'm quite laid back and avoid those "bitch fights" that others on my course seem to have all the time. My course is in the business field and I was bullied by a girl, she was doing several things to make me look bad in front of lecturers and other students.

Oh, I'm sorry, I intended it as a supreme compliment! I'm hoping to go to uni soon and I'm kinda scared of how the social environment will present itself also. You have my deepest empathy with your ordeal with that girl. I honestly don't understand how grown young women can act like that with no remorse!!
Quit if you hate it. No-one at all is forcing you to be there. Jeez. This is the problem these days - everyone thinks university education is a birthright and they just go ahead without any consideration for WHY they're doing it. Just quit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
I can't wait to finish it! And I'm coming up to the end of my 1st year! (Doing 4 yrs)

Some lecturers are really really bad, although there are some good ones, some students barely even turn up, so its really difficult to make friends on your course, everyone is into clubbing 24/7 and you're a little bit strange if you don't. People act like children, not turning up because they don't like the lecturer? (Every week for 12 weeks!??). People are so closed off! I said hello to someone before a lecture and she actually TURNED AROUND and faced the wall! People don't do the reading before the seminars, I understand not doing it occasionally, but sometimes I was the only one out of 30 people to read the notes! People talk about people behind their backs etc...
I don't understand because people are paying to be here!
I'm ready to earn my own money, I worked damn hard for my A Levels, and intend to work damn hard now because I don't intend to be unemployed when I leave Uni. I'm a hard worker, but University is all about slacking up until the night of a deadline then writing a 1500 word essay, giving it in 10 minutes before the deadline. I thought I left those type of people back in my home town.
Bitchiness and fakery is something which unfortunately permeates all areas of life; not just university. When you leave university, it won't get any better and the more of your life you wish away, the less you will enjoy it.

Part of me wishes that university would be over soon as my boyfriend and I live hours apart and it feels like our lives are on hold until I graduate and we can be together properly. I recognise, however, that this is not the right way to live my life and so I'm focusing on the positives of my university years rather than wishing them to be over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending