The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Is it true that you get a letter from the University saying wether you're accepted or not before your results day...
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Why would you get that? They wouldn't know if you're going to make your offer.

(Which you will of course, keep the faith!)
I think unis get your results the day before results day, maybe. I don't know about Sussex, but a couple of my friends last year had had confirmation from their unis the day before.
You can get a letter from UCAS saying you've been accepted on results day, so in theory you can know before you leave for college.

UCAS gets the results a few days before you, and passes them on to the universities. If you've got into your firm because you've met the conditions, or the unis have otherwise made a quick decision, you might have a letter on your mat that day.

EDIT: UCAS won't release things like that to arrive before results day, though.
Reply 44
So what if you miss the grades? Should you email them straight away?
I had problems during my exam time which made it impossible to revise as much as I could of, I emailed sussex about it which I dont want to say on here.
But I really want into Sussex and think I'm only gonna drop one grade...
Reply 45
Freezer
So what if you miss the grades? Should you email them straight away?
I had problems during my exam time which made it impossible to revise as much as I could of, I emailed sussex about it which I dont want to say on here.
But I really want into Sussex and think I'm only gonna drop one grade...

Check on the UCAS website and try to ring them. Both will take ages, as web traffic and phone calls are manic on the day.
Good luck!
Reply 46
Thanks.. if I get into Sussex I'll buy you a drink....

Its the one thing buggin me, cos theres nothing I can do now cept wait.
Yep. If you miss the grade and haven't heard from them through that UCAS letter, get on the phone! Bring telephone numbers and a credit-filled phone with you. A good number of times, they'll have made their decision already, and will have people manning the phones to tell you yay or nay. They may still be deciding, which just means a wait.

And if worst comes to worst, I'd advise you bring a copy of the Independent with you to college, as they have the Clearing listings.
Reply 48
You can also log into the UCAS track service on the day which will tell you whether you've made it or not.

I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation to check before I get my results..!
I didn't resist.

Which meant that I went into school to pick up my results knowing that I wasn't going to my firm.

What a crap day that was. :frown:
Reply 50
Yeh just on the open days they told us to email them if anything went wrong.

My first 3 exams went REALLY well I was so proud then a family issue came up and I did really badly in the remaining 4 exams. I emailed them, but obviosuly I have no proof as its very private to me and I told them this. Would this make an impact or do they just say it?
Reply 51
I bet, but surely better than being unprepared and opening your results to find out in front of everyone...
SkinnyJeans
I bet, but surely better than being unprepared and opening your results to find out in front of everyone...

Ah, but I wouldn't have found out for sure til I rang in private. Hmm, I know it would only be postponing the upset, but still. Any other bloody year and I'd have been in and all. Stupid top up fees, making everyone apply in my year...

Freezer, if you're emailed them about your issue, then that'll certainly work in your favour. Have you had the college send a supporting statement? That might help even more. Just get your personal tutor or whatever to send an email or letter confirming your situation at the time. It'd also be worth getting special consideration with the exam boards because of it, if you've not looked into that already.

Good luck!
Reply 53
ladyportacabin
Why would you get that? They wouldn't know if you're going to make your offer.

(Which you will of course, keep the faith!)

The unis get the results on the monday or tuesday before results day, because they start working out how many people they can accept who've slipped/how many clearing places they have etc.

I slipped up by one grade (3 marks!!) and just phoned straight away and kept phoning - it took until the friday for them to confirm i was in anyway, because i had a deferred place and they were sorting immediate starts out straight away.

If you do miss a grade get on the phone straight away and stay on the phone hassling them til they give you an answer (hopefully the one you want to hear!)
Reply 54
Who actually decides if you're in or not?

Surely they all have to decide together to sort out places and such.. they can't just leave it up to people on the phones??

Confusing.

and scary.
Reply 55
Aspect
Who actually decides if you're in or not?

Surely they all have to decide together to sort out places and such.. they can't just leave it up to people on the phones??

Confusing.

and scary.

Oh, it's not the people on the phones deciding, they have a make shift call centre set up - the tutors from that department get together and decide each person. then when they decide they pass it on to the phone people :smile:
I would not want that job. Imagine having to tell people NO! I bet they get abusive or cry and use all sorts of tricks.

Although it would be nice to give people the good news.

Latest

Trending

Trending