The Student Room Group

Mature student returnin to study/anyone in same position with info on funds available

Hi, I am 31 year old single mother currently finishing first year of access course in Biomedical/Biological science. I am hoping to go to uni to study social work after completion of the access course. Been out of the loop for quite some time so just wondering if anyone knows what finance I would be entitled to as mature student/single mother. quite daunting thinking of leaving a full time job to study .... worried about how I will afford it ? Thanks:smile:
Reply 1
Depends on household income. If under 25k, you should be entitled to tuition fees paid, full maintenance loan and grant. So after fees about 7100 quid. This is assuming you fit the criteria eg uk residence etc. you could use the gov.uk student finance calculator. You should also get financial support for having a child. Dont know how much but again gov.uk will tell you. And uni's often have further grants/scholarships available. I am leaving full time work too. Its daunting but titally viable, you should be well supported.

Im going to durham, they give a 3k grant so i only have to work a few hours part time to keep my head above water
Original post by charlie181109
Hi, I am 31 year old single mother currently finishing first year of access course in Biomedical/Biological science. I am hoping to go to uni to study social work after completion of the access course. Been out of the loop for quite some time so just wondering if anyone knows what finance I would be entitled to as mature student/single mother. quite daunting thinking of leaving a full time job to study .... worried about how I will afford it ? Thanks:smile:

If you're earning under £25k per year you'll get the full funding from student finance. (Maintenance Loan & Grant) as well as tuition fee loan.

As well as this, you'll qualify for a fee reduction and bursary from your university in year 1 of your course. You'll also get childcare funding (if needed) and some extra money as you're a parent. You MAY also be eligible for some state benefits (Income Support / Housing Benefit) but not sure what.
Reply 3
There's a parents learning allowance.

You'll also be entitled to child benefit and child tax credits. Most student finance is ignored for child tax credits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending