The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever complained about a lecturer?

I'm a bit of a situation at the minute...

The whole of my first year has gone fine, however, for my last module, we have had a whole new lecturer, and I cannot stand him...

He is constantly arguing with students, every word that comes out of his mouth is sarcastic, he never offers any constructive criticism, he has never complimented anyone in his whole life, he is very rude and sends letters home when we don't attend ONE lecture.

Just wondering, has anyone else complained about a lecturer? Have you been marked down on a specific module because of it? I would complain, but I am scared of getting a bad mark because of it!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aperture

The whole of my first year has gone fine, however, for my last module, we have had a whole new lecturer, and I cannot stand him...

He is constantly arguing with students, every word that comes out of his mouth is sarcastic, he never offers any constructive criticism, he has never complimented anyone in his whole life, he is very rude and sends letters home when we don't attend ONE lecture.

Just wondering, has anyone else complained about a lecturer? Have you been marked down on a specific module because of it? I would complain, but I am scared of getting a bad mark because of it!

You can put a complaint in but I doubt anything will happen to be honest. The year above me in their second year got a petition against one of the lecturers setting incredibly difficult coursework with too short of a time period to complete it in. It had about 200 signatures and from what I hear nothing happened at all. He mentioned it in lecture and told them to suck it up really.

Not much you can do, just accept it and be done with the module asap.
Reply 2
Original post by MasterSnake
You can put a complaint in but I doubt anything will happen to be honest. The year above me in their second year got a petition against one of the lecturers setting incredibly difficult coursework with too short of a time period to complete it in. It had about 200 signatures and from what I hear nothing happened at all. He mentioned it in lecture and told them to suck it up really.

Not much you can do, just accept it and be done with the module asap.

Thanks, I guess I will just put up for him for the next two years. At least he is for only one module. Just sick of his c**p to be honest...
Reply 3
he sends letters home? to your parents? what type of university is this?
Original post by PJ991

Exactly what I was thinking :wut:

Using the TSR app ~ Smile, you are amazing!
Original post by PJ991

I wander what they do to mature students? Hmmmm....
Reply 6
Sends letters home??? Does he think this is high school lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MasterSnake
I wander what they do to mature students? Hmmmm....

They send letters home to their kids, of course
Reply 8
Not a lecturer, a tutor though.

Some Indian guy, horrible level of English (not just a slight accent, it was reeeally bad, barely understandable at times), taught first year economics as if we were 5th graders, did not understand questions. He explained something for 10 minutes, someone would ask an advanced question about a detail and he would just start to explain the whole thing again for 10 minutes.

And because he treated us as if we just came from Primary School it took him 10 minutes to explain something everyone in the room would have understood in 1 minute.

So some people just went and complained about him to the module lecturer, he talked to the tutor and everyone noticed some major improvements.
Reply 9
Original post by PJ991

Not to me, to another student, but you read my mind, sounds just like being at school.

Christ, even my COLLEGE didn't send letters home!
Reply 10

that's horrible, i think you and the other students should complain together.he sends letters home bwhahaha i think his new to teaching uni students. if you don't mind me asking which uni is this????.
I don't believe the lecturer sends letters to parents for missing one lecture. Students are adults and they pay for the course - what they do is their choice.
Reply 12
Not to me, to another student, but you read my mind, sounds just like being at school.

Christ, even my COLLEGE didn't send letters home!

as adults, going to university and paying for it, I think matters of attendance and anything else are issues between you and the lecturer/university. Parents shouldn't be involved.

This bloke sounds like a schoolteacher.
I never complained formally about him but my fights with my Oxford tutor have become part of College legend, apparently :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I did formally complain about a welfare tutor but that was long after I'd left :yes:
Reply 14
Original post by Brit_Miller
I don't believe the lecturer sends letters to parents for missing one lecture. Students are adults and they pay for the course - what they do is their choice.

Surprisingly, he has. I couldn't believe it either. But seeing as it has not happened to me personally yet, I can't prove it :smile:

Maybe one lecture was being a bit extravagant, but being in a different tutorial group to said person makes it difficult to determine how much she is missing!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15

A few students tried with one, it was supposed to be "confidential", wasn't to be next lecture, he came out and complained thats it our fault.

One lecturer got under academic review.
I've complained about a lecturer also - all the lectures were full of sarcasm and OTT sex "jokes", and he marked everyone down on a final module project because it was "his way of doing things", completely ignoring the project criteria that's given to us all at the start of term.

Our coursework submissions were all remarked by the head of department (needless to say, the grades practically doubled), but the lecturer seems indifferent and perhaps worse than before.

So on paper, the complaints helped. In the classroom however, they made it worse.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I never complained formally about him but my fights with my Oxford tutor have become part of College legend, apparently :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I did formally complain about a welfare tutor but that was long after I'd left :yes:

Violence?! :eek:
Original post by the mezzil
Violence?! :eek:

Not physical fights, dw. Though I would have blates won. I am taller than said tutor and he'd never dare hit a girl :teehee:
Surprisingly, he has. I couldn't believe it either. But seeing as it has not happened to me personally yet, I can't prove it :smile:

Maybe one lecture was being a bit extravagant, but being in a different tutorial group to said person makes it difficult to determine how much she is missing!

I'd be very surprised! It's understandable for a uni to contact the student if their general attendance is poor, but not parents and surely not for one lecture. I'm not even sure unis have parent's details unless it's emergency contact details - at least they don't for me.

P.s. should say I don't think you're making it up, I'd just find it very surprising!
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest