The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The use of the word 'chaos' is somewhat misleading, as it implies disorder. Chaos theory basically describes how slight differences can make things turn out completely differently, thus making nature seem chaotic and random (even though there are no truly random factors).
Nature is still deterministic (ignoring quantum mechanics xD), but because of small differences in different but similar situations, the outcomes of two similar situations are never the same, even if the differences between the situations was only a butterfly flapping her wings.

What's this in relation to anyway? :redface:
Reply 2
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

(It's to do with the teleological argument)
Reply 3
It tends to get horribly abused in R.S by people who think unpredictability is the same thing as randomness.
Just some extra info incase you need it: my text book says....

Scientific research into what is known as the Chaos Theory is beginning to undermine Newton's optimistic view of the universe as a predictable machine. It is not in fact (we now discover) made up of building blocks obeying 'laws of nature', but of waves and impulses whose activity is anyone's guess, even when they continue to provide a coherent whole. If a pattern does emerge, could it be simply nature's way of surviving? Those who fit into the pattern survive, the rest perish. Who is to say that the human race is not the survivor of a million failed worlds? If God stands behind such a world, he is something far more mysterious than a clever watchmaker.

Personally I would use this in my exam to link into the topic of miracles. Hope this helps ;-)

Latest

Trending

Trending