The Student Room Group

Red light Cameras, are they speed camreas?

I passed my driving test at the end of november, and I have gotten a car 2 days ago, now as you can imagine my driving was abit rusty, I had a hard time with a few things, one of them was keeping dead to the speed limit, i'd focus too much on the road and go over by 1-5 mph..

When driving down a particular road there is a sign for a speed camera (which I didn't notice the first time I drove down it) but as I didn't notice it I carried on driving normal, I wasn't speeding to my knowledge however I might've been going over without noticing..

I didn't see a flash, and I checked that it was definitely a red light camera, but I'
m just wondering now, can you get a speeding ticket from it them? Just got me kind've worried now because I might've been abit over and not of seen a flash, would suck to have 3 points in my first 2 days for a mistake!

Sorry for a lengthy first post by the way haha.
:rolleyes:
In theory there is nothing stopping a red light camera being a speed camera as well. I know that there is at least one camera which looks like a traffic light camera, but is actually a speed camera (if it is a traffic light camera as well I don't know).
Reply 2
Original post by rmhumphries
In theory there is nothing stopping a red light camera being a speed camera as well. I know that there is at least one camera which looks like a traffic light camera, but is actually a speed camera (if it is a traffic light camera as well I don't know).

Ahh damn, hopefully I wasn't going over the limit, thanks for letting me know anyways bro
Reply 3
Original post by Forty40
I passed my driving test at the end of november, and I have gotten a car 2 days ago, now as you can imagine my driving was abit rusty, I had a hard time with a few things, one of them was keeping dead to the speed limit, i'd focus too much on the road and go over by 1-5 mph..

When driving down a particular road there is a sign for a speed camera (which I didn't notice the first time I drove down it) but as I didn't notice it I carried on driving normal, I wasn't speeding to my knowledge however I might've been going over without noticing..

I didn't see a flash, and I checked that it was definitely a red light camera, but I'
m just wondering now, can you get a speeding ticket from it them? Just got me kind've worried now because I might've been abit over and not of seen a flash, would suck to have 3 points in my first 2 days for a mistake!

Sorry for a lengthy first post by the way haha.
:rolleyes:

Yes, some are.

If there are any speed check lines on the road, like the ones you see by a Gatso speed camera, then it's a speed camera.

There are only a handful of the combined cameras in the country however.
Reply 4
Do you mean the small black cameras mounted on-top of the traffic lights? If so I wouldn't worry, I'm pretty sure that these are only used to find a suitable time to change the traffic signal to red.

Cameras used to monitor traffic are almost always painted (either completely or partially); usually in yellow or dark blue. I believe the highways agency and local authorities refer to these as "managed motorway" cameras, which are yellow and used to measure average speed, or "vehicular" cameras which are normally blue and used to monitor traffic. Both of these are mounted on tall columns painted in a similar colour.

The only 'hidden' or low visibility cameras that I'm aware of are ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) cameras, and these are used to highlight cars without valid tax / insurance and the like.

Sometimes you do get cameras that look like small gatsos by traffic lights, but these are normally there to catch cars that jump a red light.

So hopefully you should be fine! Sorry for the techy post, but figured you might want to look-up the camera types I named above just in case.
Reply 5
There's a brand of camera called RedSpeed (or something like that) which, as the name suggests, does both.

They are very box shaped and don't look like usual speed cameras (Gatso, Truvelo). They have two horizontal rectangle slots one above the other

Quick Reply

Latest