The Student Room Group

bedroom tax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippyRN
...also using examples based on one RSLs stock,. especially if it;s HA is not a good example

I see you 'snipped' out all the important stuff. Oh well...

So is it your position that there are enough one and two bedroom properties for affected tenants to move into?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
I see you 'snipped' out all the important stuff. Oh well...

So is it your position that there are enough one and two bedroom properties for affected tenants to move into?

in the standard way of the left in this issues , you have evoked emotion and used inaccurate statistics to attempt to justify the currently unfair and untenable situation with social housing ...

you 760 underoccupiers and one one free property example is fatuous and also excludes over occupation , other RSLs in the area (as it;s HA you used as example) and other RSLs in adjacent LAs ...

Your position that social housing is a provider of choice is classic big state thinking of the kind that has contributed to the UK's current difficulties thanks to 13 years of Prudence 'abolishing boom and bust' and confusing equality and fairness
Original post by zippyRN
in the standard way of the left in this issues , you have evoked emotion and used inaccurate statistics to attempt to justify the currently unfair and untenable situation with social housing ...

you 760 underoccupiers and one one free property example is fatuous and also excludes over occupation , other RSLs in the area (as it;s HA you used as example) and other RSLs in adjacent LAs ...

Your position that social housing is a provider of choice is classic big state thinking of the kind that has contributed to the UK's current difficulties thanks to 13 years of Prudence 'abolishing boom and bust' and confusing equality and fairness

Were you planning on answering my question?
Original post by pol pot noodles
As the British Cycling team often say: The sum of marginal gains. The idea that £480 million isn't that much is a ludicrous thing to say, and is simply one of many welfare reforms. If you take that attitude to everything then frankly austerity wouldn't work at all because few savings would be made.

Inceased employment will lower the welfare bill. The DWP, like almost all government departments, has been told to make cuts, and that is what it is doing.

Let me make this clear, I am not arguing that cutting the budget deficit is not one of the goals of the reforms. I am arguing that the primary goal is to increase employment and growth, which is a different macro-economic objective altogether You are very right to argue that deficit reduction is also being addressed but it's the smaller bird out of the two being hit by the stone, when you take into the scale of the two macroeconomic objectives.
Original post by Thriftworks
Let me make this clear, I am not arguing that cutting the budget deficit is not one of the goals of the reforms. I am arguing that the primary goal is to increase employment and growth, which is a different macro-economic objective altogether You are very right to argue that deficit reduction is also being addressed but it's the smaller bird out of the two being hit by the stone, when you take into the scale of the two macroeconomic objectives.

Except you can get housing benefit if you're in work on a low income. That this is going to boost employment is a dubious claim. What it will do though is cut £480m off of the welfare bill.
Except you can get housing benefit if you're in work on a low income. That this is going to boost employment is a dubious claim. What it will do though is cut £480m off of the welfare bill.

Where has this £480m figure come from? I've seen higher figures elsewhere...

HB reform is much more about the following

1. treating all landlords the same with respect to paying HB based on household size not the size of the property - as RSLs have in the past been paid HB based on the property occupied rather than household size

2. being a (still fairly mild but real none the less) 'push' to deal with underoccupation in social housing as the nudges and 'soft pull' stuff hasn't had the desired effect...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
Where has this £480m figure come from? I've seen higher figures elsewhere...

It was in the Guardian, so yeah, the real figure is probably higher.
Never mind the bedroom tax, what about the tax on life, i.e. any costs for resources and bills? I think I'm entitled to all of this without paying anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending