The Student Room Group

New Complete Uni League Tables out today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crunchychips
I wonder what his tiers are.

It's the tiers of a clown.

I thank you.
Original post by justinawe
LSE #6 for maths? They don't even offer a pure maths degree iirc...

That's like Oxford for Economics.

Nottingham doesn't appear for Linguistics because it is incorporated in our English department as a whole (English Studies), which is silly as Peter Stockwell a leading Linguist, teaching Linguistic modules, works at the uni.
Original post by Meat is Murder
That's like Oxford for Economics.

Nottingham doesn't appear for Linguistics because it is incorporated in our English department as a whole (English Studies), which is silly as Peter Stockwell a leading Linguist, teaching Linguistic modules, works at the uni.

We're talking about Maths department here, right?

Even then, LSE's Maths aren't top 6, in my opinion. It has a solid economics and politics (and other) departments though. But a few more universities have stronger maths department that LSE. This is just my opinion, however.
Original post by Mr. Roxas
We're talking about Maths department here, right?

Even then, LSE's Maths aren't top 6, in my opinion. It has a solid economics and politics (and other) departments though. But a few more universities have stronger maths department that LSE. This is just my opinion, however.

To be clear, I was pointing out another anomaly to go with you point about Maths and LSE. Oxford doesn't offer pure economics so to score them against others who do is less than helpful.
Original post by Meat is Murder
To be clear, I was pointing out another anomaly to go with you point about Maths and LSE. Oxford doesn't offer pure economics so to score them against others who do is less than helpful.

"Pure maths" is (usually) defined in opposition to applied or applicable maths. I think he means they don't offer a degree like this rather than that they don't offer a degree in maths except in combination, though it is true as well that they don't.
Reply 125
Original post by Zenomorph
Only Lboro and Bristol are good, choose Lboro think the attitude will be better. The others are well choose your own expletive. Though if it is film related stuff GS may be alright.

I'd advise you to avoid Sussex.

What rep ? RG2 are a lot worse than RG1 and some 94 unis ( eg Lboro, UEA - yes UEA > Sussex check it out)

I'd advise you to avoid Sussex.

What rep ? RG2 are a lot worse than RG1 and some 94 unis ( eg Lboro, UEA - yes UEA > Sussex check it out)

Hold on a sec.
So it's not like my usual job to question weird opinions or anything, but I really wouldn't say no if you were to say, give reasons for dissing "the others" that I may choose my "own expletive" for.

Also, 'RG2' unis are a lot worse than 'RG1'...
Soooo, unis like Cambridge and Oxford are ****, is what you're trying to say. Please, I realllly want to know more.
Original post by aari
Haha ohhh, this thread keeps getting funnier, courtesy the RG2 guy. Who has gone awol, incidentally!
I'll be studying Intercultural Communications and Media. And I have offers from most of the unis up there including Newcastle, Leeds, Lbro and Goldsmiths but I haven't made a decision yet.

All good universities, ignore what that zenomorph guy has to say about them...or about anything for that matter.

Where did you do your undergrad and in what subject?

My sister went to goldsmiths. Didn't like it from what I remember. I never really questioned too much about it. I think it was more London she didn't like as opposed to the actual university. But as you'll probably only be in class for a few hours a week then the city itself can be just as important when it comes to postgraduates I guess. Plus London is so expensive.
Reply 127
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
All good universities, ignore what that zenomorph guy has to say about them...or about anything for that matter.

Where did you do your undergrad and in what subject?

My sister went to goldsmiths. Didn't like it from what I remember. I never really questioned too much about it. I think it was more London she didn't like as opposed to the actual university. But as you'll probably only be in class for a few hours a week then the city itself can be just as important when it comes to postgraduates I guess. Plus London is so expensive.

Haha, I'm trying to! He doesn't even give proper reasons!
Anyway, I'm an international student and it's a hard decision to take! My undergrad was in Mass Communications. I'm from Mumbai.

Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Hankylord
it's not unthinkable that the teaching quality is higher at Warwick, especially as I've heard many a LSE student complain about uninterested lecturers.

Yes that's largely a fair assumption. There is a very small gap between the London three and other Russell Group universities with the London prestige and the higher UCAS entry points causing this. But it's not significant.

Original post by Knalchemist
They're meaningless.

I do agree with this...to an extent. Employees do not look at league tables. I know this because I've asked them. I mean how can you? There are five or six different league tables, they change every year, they are varied for different subjects. But instead, I do think university reputation comes into it to an extent. If you picked an RG against university ranked 90th, there might be a difference, but for two at roughly the same quality I think it barely matters.

Original post by nulli tertius
Ask them where their preferred university is ranked in the 2016 league table.

Classic.

Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

From what I gather he has divided the Russell Group into different tiers. Probably two. He must think some universities in there are undeserving of the status so coined them a subclass university.

He has this mythical concept of 'RG1' and 'RG2' which is based on nothing but his own thoughts. He divides universities into these two categories. For me it's got to the point where I just ignore him, as he is trolling, and needs to get out more. Student at Sussex, missed out on Oxford in 2012. Doesn't really seem to appear in any other threads. Perhaps if he spent more time revising and less time coming on the Student Room telling students at universities below the top 10 that they are crap, he might have got in.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aari
Haha, I'm trying to! He doesn't even give proper reasons!
Anyway, I'm an international student and it's a hard decision to take! My undergrad was in Mass Communications. I'm from Mumbai.

Thanks for the help :smile:

He is an academic snob. Please ignore him. I wish you every success studying in England, there are many fantastic universities here.
Reply 130
Original post by Eboracum
He is an academic snob. Please ignore him. I wish you every success studying in England, there are many fantastic universities here.

Thank you, Eboracum. That's rather sweet of you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest