The Student Room Group

How Sectarianism in the UK Thrusted a World Class University into the Abyss

Most of you have heard institutions such as Warwick, York, Bath or any of the other universities that either got university status or were founded in the 1960s. Of course you will know that these universities' reputations will range from the upper end of average/lower end of good to excellent/world leading.

But one of these seems left in the dark.

The Quasimodo of the Plate Glass universities.

In 1968 a decision was made to open a university on a green belt site outside the small town of Coleraine in Northern Ireland. A decision that outraged the Catholic population that was concentrated west of the river Bann who believed that a second university should be in the second city, Derry/Londonderry. However as this was a predominantly nationalist city and in a location much too far west of the river Bann even the not so sectarian politics of Terrence O'Neil could put any worthwhile economic projects west of the river.

What this did was impose a boycott on the University of Ulster by Catholics who saw it as yet another sectarian flex of superiority. This, coupled with a remote location starved the university's catch net of students and only a merger with Ulster Polytechnic, a much superior institution and by far one of the better Polytechnics saved the university from certain death.

Today however the university is stuck in limbo around the lower-middle area of the university rankings as opposed to the universities established around the same time that appear in the top end of the league tables. Had the university been placed in Derry/Londonderry we may well have had another world leading and top 50 under 50 university. Instead, Northern Ireland has one highly regarded university, and one love child than nobody wants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou
Bigotry is a dangerous evil. Thankfully in western civilisation it is reserved for the darkest corners of society, such places that nobody takes notice of and when they do it is usually with a degree of humour followed by a sadness upon the realisation of what it actually is.

Sadly, the Westminster government allowed this evil not only to come out of these cracks and holes of society, they gave them a place in government. For decades superior vs. inferior politics ruled an entire region of the UK with the police force not acting as a public service but rather a service for the government, in other words a armed wing of a quasi-fascist political party.

So what has this great evil got to do with a univeristy?

Most of you have heard institutions such as Warwick, York, Bath or any of the other universities that either got university status or were founded in the 1960s. Of course you will know that these universities' reputations will range from the upper end of average/lower end of good to excellent/world leading.

But one of these seems left in the dark.

The Quasimodo of the Plate Glass universities.

In 1968 a decision was made to open a university on a green belt site outside the small town of Coleraine in Northern Ireland. A decision that outraged the Catholic population that was concentrated west of the river Bann who believed that a second university should be in the second city, Derry/Londonderry. However as this was a predominantly nationalist city and in a location much too far west of the river Bann even the not so sectarian politics of Terrence O'Neil could put any worthwhile economic projects west of the river.

What this did was impose a boycott on the University of Ulster by Catholics who saw it as yet another sectarian flex of superiority. This, coupled with a remote location starved the university's catch net of students and only a merger with Ulster Polytechnic, a much superior institution and by far one of the better Polytechnics saved the university from certain death.

Today however the university is stuck in limbo around the lower-middle area of the university rankings as opposed to the universities established around the same time that appear in the top end of the league tables. Had the university been placed in Derry/Londonderry we may well have had another world leading and top 50 under 50 university. Instead, Northern Ireland has one highly regarded university, and one love child than nobody wants.

And your point is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone from Dublin, and who lived in Belfast for a short time in the 1980s, when the troubles were raging, I have seen first hand how bigotry has destroyed the lives of thousands of people. In those days, if you walked in the wrong part of Belfast with a green shirt on, there was a high chance that at best, you would getting a beating, at worst, shot dead. Same in some Republican areas of Belfast, wear a Rangers FC shirt, they would skin you alive.

Thankfully, times have changed a great deal, and people look back on all the past problems and bigotry with great regret, even though there are still pockets of people on both side of the community, who want us to go back to the bad old days.

I also think it would be fair for me to point out that of today, there is still a part of Great Britain where religious bigotry is still going strong. That place is called Glasgow. Glasgow was always known as Northern Ireland - without the guns.

The bigotry of today lies in the two main football teams of Glasgow, Rangers and Celtic. Rangers has a strong Unionist/Protestant support, who have loyalty to the Royal Family, Protestantism, and the Union of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Celtic on the other hand, were founded by a Catholic Priest in a small church in Glasgow to raise money for the East End Poor. Celtic have a traditional support from Ireland, and in the past a staunch Roman Catholic support, with support for Irish Republicanism and a deep hatred of the British Royal Family. Today, Celtic now has a 50/50 Protestant and Catholic support, plus a significant Islamic support too. Rangers have still got a majority Protestant support, but with a small number of Catholic support and a large Muslim support too.

Times have changed, but in Glasgow, you will still see thousands on the streets, in July, in support of a battle between two Kings for the British throne, which happened 313 years ago, in which the Protestant dynasty, under William III, crushed the Catholic James II and even now, it is still illegal to have a British Catholic Monarch. Also, each Easter, you will have large areas of Glasgow coming out to celebrate the Easter arising of 1916, when a band of Irish Rebels, rebelled in Ireland against British rule, with the help of Glaswegian men, women and Scottish arms.

Bigotry is still here, and it is not going to go away soon.
Reply 3
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
And your point is?

This is in the educational debate section. This is therefore a debate, not a 'point'. This is about how discrimination in the UK ruined the chances of a university reaching academic excellence. I don't think the post could have been much clearer.

Stop rep hunting and either post something that contributes to the debate or don't post anything at all.
This is in the educational debate section. This is therefore a debate, not a 'point'. This is about how discrimination in the UK ruined the chances of a university reaching academic excellence. I don't think the post could have been much clearer.

Stop rep hunting and either post something that contributes to the debate or don't post anything at all.

I think you made a good point. There was a lot of gerrymandering going on in Northern Ireland in the 1960s, from Universities, through to housing and changing voting boundaries, so it would help Unionist MPs. The old Stormont administration was as bigoted as it comes.

Your second post was clear. The first was a big wedge of words which didn't serve to provide much assistance to the thrust of any 'debate'. It was at best a very descriptive but overly stylised contextual narrative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In any case, I apologise for coming over all facetious ****. We all have out moments.

FWIW if what you suggest is true, it is a shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In 1968 a decision was made to open a university on a green belt site outside the small town of Coleraine in Northern Ireland.

You have a point but 1968 wasn't a good year to open anything in Northern Ireland.

Not all the plate glass universities are prospering. Salford and Bradford are both struggling.
Reply 8
Original post by nulli tertius
You have a point but 1968 wasn't a good year to open anything in Northern Ireland.

Not all the plate glass universities are prospering. Salford and Bradford are both struggling.

Yes that is true and I considered that point myself for a while. Then I came to the realisation of the locations of each of the universities.

Now putting aside the atmosphere of Salford and Bradford such as night-life, shopping etc, things that are important factors for students. All you need to do is look around and you'll see an important indication of why they may not have taken off as well as the other plate glass universities.

Within just a 100km radius of Salford lies the main university cities such as Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham. Birmingham not far outside that radius either. These are just the main universities already established at the time by the way, this isn't including the likes of York which as another new university would have had the appeal of a pretty city. This is just talking about back in the 60's of course, not including the more recent times when there much more universities in that radius than affects the number of students going to Salford.

Switching Birmingham for Durham it is essentially the same deal.

Back to Northern Ireland and in the case of a would be University of Derry/Londonderry only one university appears within 100km and that obviously is Queens which sits right on the circumference. Without a nationalist boycott the university would have received a huge influx of students, particularly from those in the underdeveloped areas west of the Bann who didn't want to make the journey (which would likely have been on public transport for most of them) to Belfast on roads of developing nation standards. Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I really see no reason why a Derry UU wouldn't have got close to as many students as QUB.
Yes that is true and I considered that point myself for a while. Then I came to the realisation of the locations of each of the universities.

Now putting aside the atmosphere of Salford and Bradford such as night-life, shopping etc, things that are important factors for students. All you need to do is look around and you'll see an important indication of why they may not have taken off as well as the other plate glass universities.

Within just a 100km radius of Salford lies the main university cities such as Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Leeds and Nottingham. Birmingham not far outside that radius either. These are just the main universities already established at the time by the way, this isn't including the likes of York which as another new university would have had the appeal of a pretty city. This is just talking about back in the 60's of course, not including the more recent times when there much more universities in that radius than affects the number of students going to Salford.

Switching Birmingham for Durham it is essentially the same deal.

Back to Northern Ireland and in the case of a would be University of Derry/Londonderry only one university appears within 100km and that obviously is Queens which sits right on the circumference. Without a nationalist boycott the university would have received a huge influx of students, particularly from those in the underdeveloped areas west of the Bann who didn't want to make the journey (which would likely have been on public transport for most of them) to Belfast on roads of developing nation standards. Obviously this is all hypothetical, but I really see no reason why a Derry UU wouldn't have got close to as many students as QUB.

I do not think you can divorce higher education from what was happening generally in NI. A university isn't only about attracting students, it is about attracting academics and researchers. NUU was a modern university and not Queen's Mark II. It needed to import academics. In reality, it wouldn't have been able to do so in 1970s Londonderry. Magee continued to be run down after direct rule was imposed when the Government would have been happy to see investment in Londonderry because you simply couldn't grow a university in a City that was on the TV every night for bombings and rioting. Ulster Poly was different. Essentially it ran on a local teaching staff. The foundation of NUU may have been one of the grievances of Catholic Ulster in 1968 (but nowhere near as important as housing), but there was no way it could prosper wherever it was.

I do't think you are right about the other plate glass universities. Strathclyde, Heriot-Watt, Aston and to a degree Bath, Warwick and Loughborough prospered in the shadow of older universities. Salford and Bradford's decline really date from after 1992. If one asked which were the weakest universities in 1991, the answer would probably have been Keele and Brunel.
Or maybe one good university is enough for such a small population?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Or maybe one good university is enough for such a small population?

In 1971 Northern Ireland's population was about 45% of Scotland's.

In 1971 Scotland had 8 universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Stirling, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt)
In 1971 Northern Ireland's population was about 45% of Scotland's.

In 1971 Scotland had 8 universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Stirling, Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt)

You were the one making quality an issue.
Reply 13

You are right, it is the Educational Debate section. But there are forum guidelines for Debate and Current Affairs, and these can be seen here.

Take note of the first three "Do" axioms: -

•Present a topic concisely.
•Give an aim of the discussion.
•Give your view.

Also the section on considering other users and not using large chunks of text. Large sections of text can be difficult for people with reading difficulties, so this is to be discouraged in opening posts.

Your opening post, which reads like an extended narrative, is needlessly long. It is also quite descriptive.

I welcome your thread and thank you for your contribution, and hope that this will be an intelligent and engaging discussion, but can you please edit the opening post to something a little more concise?
People in Londonderry STILL have a chip on their shoulder in relation to a decision made over 40 years ago. Move on.
Original post by David Healy is God
People in Londonderry STILL have a chip on their shoulder in relation to a decision made over 40 years ago. Move on.

People in Londonderry still contest events that happened 324 years ago!
Reply 16
People in Londonderry still contest events that happened 324 years ago!

Personally I'd say that is entirely different. Nothing wrong with historical debate. What Daivd Healy, is suggesting here is the political decisions from 4 decades ago are being complained about. However I beg to differ that this is in anyway different than any other part of the UK. Do we or do we not still here constant complaints about Thatchers political decisions, or those of various governments before her? And I am not talking about NI here, I am talking about mines and manufacturing in GB for example.

But lets not let this thread spiral into oblivion through petty arguments about who is right and who is wrong. Lets just try keep this on topic.

You mentioned that it is not just students a university needs but academics. And that those would be hard to attract in NI at the time.

That may be, however QUB was in a much worse off location as Belfast certainly saw the worst of the bombings etc and I believe even had lecturers murdered by paramilitaries. I believe there would have been enough 'home-grown' academics to get the university through the troubles at least. I would think the Derry would have been much more appealing than Belfast in terms of location at least for those from the republic. Derry also offered the possibility of living in Donegal while working there, Belfast did not. I honestly don't think the university would have had as much issues as you think it would during the conflict.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17

But lets not let this thread spiral into oblivion through petty arguments about who is right and who is wrong. Lets just try keep this on topic.

Good idea. It's inevitable that this sort of thread will drag up some of the comments we've had, but can I remind everyone to try and be constructive in their contributions. Remember this is Educational Debate in Debate and Current Affairs - try and discuss things politely and constructively and don't post things which may antagonise others.

This is not directed to all people, not just one person.

You mentioned that it is not just students a university needs but academics. And that those would be hard to attract in NI at the time.

That may be, however QUB was in a much worse off location as Belfast certainly saw the worst of the bombings etc and I believe even had lecturers murdered by paramilitaries. I believe there would have been enough 'home-grown' academics to get the university through the troubles at least.

That ignores the differences between Queen's and Ulster.

Queen's would have been largely academically self-sustaining as for want of a better world a redbrick. Ulster was a late arriving Bath, Loughborough, Aston, Heriot-Watt, Strathclyde. Queen's wouldn't have had the right distribution of people to fill all the vacancies.

I would think the Derry would have been much more appealing than Belfast in terms of location at least for those from the republic. Derry also offered the possibility of living in Donegal while working there, Belfast did not. I honestly don't think the university would have had as much issues as you think it would during the conflict.

The Queen's academics didn't live on the Falls or Shankill roads. I am not saying that if Ulster had opened in Londonderry, academics would have had to live in the Bogside, but outsiders, whether from he mainland or the south, would have had much less understanding of the political geography of NI than the Antrim middle classes of Queen's. Moreover with an expending university sector in GB and ROI why would anyone have wanted to move their families into into NI?

I am not sure living over the border was viable in the early/mid 70s. One of the interesting things about the Troubles was that there was no serious attempt to seal the border (I know some unauthorised crossings were blocked in a half-hearted way) but I am not sure that this was a foregone conclusion. Bearing in mind that internment happened and Irish troops "invading" was a realistic possibility in the early 70s, not to mention a divided Berlin, a closed border in Gibraltar, the West Bank much as it is now, and from 1974 a divided Cyprus, I am not convinced that that many people with a day job in Derry would set themselves up living in Donegal (and goodness knows what the tax system would have been like in the pre-single European market days).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending