The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by cuckoomillie
Hey
Assumed this might be the right place to post this...
It might sound a bit pathetic so feel free to tell me to suck it up but I found out this evening that my grandfather passed away today. My Finals start on Monday (typically with my worst three exams first 3 days). Obviously I know that I won't be able to go to the funeral around exams but is there any point telling my college about it or will they just not care?
Thanks

Sorry to hear it :hugs: . Don't hesitate to let college know if you do think it's affecting you. People may tell you to suck it up but you're the one who genuinely knows the effect and if it matters to you then that's all that counts. The college are most likely very supportive and you shouldn't hesitate in case - you have nothing to lose, they'll have dealt with these things before, etc. Hope things get better for you.
Hey
It might sound a bit pathetic so feel free to tell me to suck it up but I found out this evening that my grandfather passed away today. My Finals start on Monday (typically with my worst three exams first 3 days). Obviously I know that I won't be able to go to the funeral around exams but is there any point telling my college about it or will they just not care?
Thanks

Definitely tell your college, that way if you don't do as well as expected then they may be able to do something about it. There's nothing to lose by telling them. Sorry for your loss.
'Just woke up realising I have no revision to do...aaahhhhh the feeling......roll on 4 months off :biggrin:'

In my current state of heightened examination stress such a post is enough to ruin a friendship. :fuhrer: :mad:
Hey
Thanks

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Do tell your college, to see whether they can notify the Proctors. You'll probably have to give college a copy of the death certificate if possible, just to verify it.

Big hugs from here :hugs:
Well I tried to tell my college but didn't get any response to emails so I think that probably gives me a good indication of their opinion...
Well I tried to tell my college but didn't get any response to emails so I think that probably gives me a good indication of their opinion...

That's pretty appalling :erm: When did you email them? It could just be that some people, particularly the office staff, might not check emails over the weekend. I'm hoping it's just something like that :s-smilie:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
That's pretty appalling :erm: When did you email them? It could just be that some people, particularly the office staff, might not check emails over the weekend. I'm hoping it's just something like that :s-smilie:

Well I emailed the college nurse yesterday morning cos it was affecting my sleeping, and also emailed my tutor for the exam tomorrow (who is normally pretty good about replying) but nothing. I've tried emailing the chaplain today so guess we'll just see...
Well I emailed the college nurse yesterday morning cos it was affecting my sleeping, and also emailed my tutor for the exam tomorrow (who is normally pretty good about replying) but nothing. I've tried emailing the chaplain today so guess we'll just see...

Let's hope that the chaplain is proactive then. I really hope your exam tomorrow goes OK and that your tutors eventually reply :console:
Reply 88
ARGH FINALS START TOMORROW WHY DO I NOT KNOW ANYTHING :zomg: :nutcase:

Though I'm not panicking really. Not compared to other finalists, anyway.
Original post by Bezzler

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Bezzler

Original post by anyone_can_fly

^^Seconded!
Reply 91
Original post by Bezzler

Original post by Oh_Nayomi
^^Seconded!

Guess I should complete the Merton trio, even if I did wish you luck in person an hour ago...
Original post by Bezzler

Best of luck. You can do it! :rave: :yep: :rave:
It's late May and there still isn't an applicants' thread for next year. What is this madness? :eek:
It's late May and there still isn't an applicants' thread for next year. What is this madness? :eek:

Perhaps it is a return to the good old days when the Head of House and the bursar would anxiously await news of how many places the college had managed to fill that year. No doubt the HoH would contact an old member who was a headmaster in the hope of persuading one or two more to come to Oxford. If they couldn't find any more students, they might have to cut back on the number of scouts or even a college lecturer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95

Original post by Oh_Nayomi
^^Seconded!

Original post by dbmag9
Guess I should complete the Merton trio, even if I did wish you luck in person an hour ago...

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Best of luck. You can do it! :rave: :yep: :rave:

Thanks all! Today was fine. In less than two days time, I'll never have to do German literature again!
Reply 96
Original post by nulli tertius
Perhaps it is a return to the good old days when the Head of House and the bursar would anxiously await news of how many places the college had managed to fill that year. No doubt the HoH would contact an old member who was a headmaster in the hope of persuading one or two more to come to Oxford. If they couldn't find any more students, they might have to cut back on the number of scouts or even a college lecturer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ikr? I just went to get the link to send on to a prospie who doesn't know TSR, and....there wasn't one! somehow it doesn't seem right to start it....where is zoedotdot? wait! shouldn't it be our very own tooambitious who starts it?!
Original post by DCDude
ikr? I just went to get the link to send on to a prospie who doesn't know TSR, and....there wasn't one! somehow it doesn't seem right to start it....where is zoedotdot? wait! shouldn't it be our very own tooambitious who starts it?!
Previously it's been one of the applicants...

I think we can wait about a month and then start it ourselves if nobody else comes forward.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by fluteflute
Previously it's been one of the applicants...

I think we can wait about a month and then start it ourselves if nobody else comes forward.

:facepalm:

argghh...actually (with no disrespect at all to tooambitious), I meant to say fluteflute

:colondollar:

...but good to know you are on the job anyway!
Reply 99
Original post by fluteflute

I do know about this thread - but haven't had anything worth posting...

What subject/college are you then? I presume you were lurking round the physics thread as part of being a mod?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending