The Student Room Group

"Dude, where's my gown?": The Oxford Chat Thread Mk.III

Scroll to see replies

I'm not gonna be online as much as usual in the run-up to Christmas, so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings, and a happy, healthy and industrious 2015! :danceboy: :party: :yep:
Merry Christmas TLG! :biggrin:

Original post by nexttime
A friend of mine was interviewing. General conclusions:

- Tutors often really disagree who the good candidates are.
- Some candidates cry really really easily.
- A candidate crying usually means they've done really well.
- The university really heavily emphasises equality and fairness, as of course it should. All the interviewers have to do this e-learning that that takes ages and spells it out very clearly!
- everything is sorted way before Christmas.

A friend of mine was also interviewing and said some very similar things. He also found it interesting (if a bit obvious) how some tutors are so much better at making the candidates comfortable than others...And that whilst passion and 'really wanting it' (as he put it) couldn't make up for a generally poor interview, it did help push some borderline candidates over to the getting an offer side of things, which I found interesting. Seeing all the candidates hanging around college recently has been very strange for me personally, since it seems like such a stressful experience to have just before Christmas! I never even made it to interviews with my undergrad application and I'm sometimes relieved that was the case. :tongue:
Original post by such_a_lady

Thanks! :tongue: although this is where all the painful indecision is coming from....

I'm currently in Bristol visiting a certain TSR user who is off on Monday but I'm going to London then, I'm afraid! I hope you have a nice time in Ox though and good luck with the viewings :smile:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Thanks! :tongue: although this is where all the painful indecision is coming from....

I'm currently in Bristol visiting a certain TSR user who is off on Monday but I'm going to London then, I'm afraid! I hope you have a nice time in Ox though and good luck with the viewings :smile:

Awww was it nice?? :3 no I didn't manage to go, #anxietyfail yay

How long does it take everyone on average to decorate a Christmas tree?
Original post by such_a_lady
Awww was it nice?? :3 no I didn't manage to go, #anxietyfail yay

How long does it take everyone on average to decorate a Christmas tree?

Mine took 3 mins to unpack and a further one minute to 'switch on'.

It's one of those multi-coloured fibre optic ones, very pretty. And no messy needles. :teehee:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm not gonna be online as much as usual in the run-up to Christmas, so I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas/Season's Greetings, and a happy, healthy and industrious 2015! :danceboy: :party: :yep:

Happy holidays! :colondollar: See you next year. :yep: :hugs:
Back to Oxford tomorrow :woo:

I've been back in Cornwall for over a week now which is definitely enough, and I've actually started to automatically refer to Oxford as 'home'. Also, I seem to have managed to do absolutely no work but oh well collections shmollections :tongue:
Original post by LtCommanderData
Thanks! :smile: apologies in advance if you get a long rambly message from me on this topic at some point in the next month :smile:

Have a great journey and visit!!! :party:

Sorry to hear about the flat not working out :/ I hope you find somewhere even better!

I've also been looking at housing options for if I end up staying at Oxford.... I'm even considering trying to live somewhere else in Oxfordshire and doing a long cycle commute!

I do this currently (well I get the train). It is much cheaper but I think i'm going to get a flat in Oxford in a month or two as the traveling is getting tedious.
Original post by manic_fuzz

I've been back in Cornwall for over a week now which is definitely enough, and I've actually started to automatically refer to Oxford as 'home'. Also, I seem to have managed to do absolutely no work but oh well collections shmollections :tongue:

I'm jelly- I go back on the 4th and although I like being at home, I struggle to do work here...And I'm missing having multiple libraries at my fingertips. :tongue:

Sigh. Cornwall. :love: Where in Cornwall? St Ives and the Penwith Coast are amongst my totally favourite places anywhere. Also Looe and the surrounding countryside. And of course surfing at Newquay. :biggrin:

Oxford does very soon feel like home once you get into it, it took me about a fortnight to throw off that "I'm new here, wonder what it will be like" feeling. :yep: :teehee:
Original post by llacerta
I'm jelly- I go back on the 4th and although I like being at home, I struggle to do work here...And I'm missing having multiple libraries at my fingertips. :tongue:

As a medic, I tend to avoid libraries. Although one of my classicist friends has promised to take me to the bod (because I'm not sure where the entrance is) :K:

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Sigh. Cornwall. :love: Where in Cornwall? St Ives and the Penwith Coast are amongst my totally favourite places anywhere. Also Looe and the surrounding countryside. And of course surfing at Newquay. :biggrin:

Oxford does very soon feel like home once you get into it, it took me about a fortnight to throw off that "I'm new here, wonder what it will be like" feeling. :yep: :teehee:

On the North Coast, near a small town called Bude. I personally absolutely hate Cornwall; my life has been saturated with beaches and countryside :vom:

I'm only starting to feel it now, in 3rd year, because I finally get to keep my college room during the holidays rather than living out of a suitcase :tongue:
As a medic, I tend to avoid libraries. Although one of my classicist friends has promised to take me to the bod (because I'm not sure where the entrance is) :K:

The bod is worth going to once but, if I'm honest I don't tend to study there often. The Rad Cam as a subset of the bod isn't bad, but college libraries are the shizzle as far as I'm concerned. :biggrin: Though I can understand that as a medic you don't really need to go to libraries! In a way I don't really need to either, but since the libraries in Ox are so nice I feel bad not using them, haha. :tongue:

That's great you get to keep your room over the holidays! As you said, it makes a real difference as to whether you feel at home somewhere.
I was somewhat allergic to Oxford libraries. Being sent to the Taylorian was the start of a very long spiral downwards :tongue: That was the beginning of my psychosis at Oxford :eek2:

I was more into the Faculty library. That felt very safe. Woosta library is a bit pokey. The Bod wasn't great for psychosis and the Rad Cam felt stuffy somehow :s-smilie:

Wishing you guys all the best for 2015 :grouphugs:
I was somewhat allergic to Oxford libraries. Being sent to the Taylorian was the start of a very long spiral downwards :tongue: That was the beginning of my psychosis at Oxford :eek2:

I was more into the Faculty library. That felt very safe. Woosta library is a bit pokey. The Bod wasn't great for psychosis and the Rad Cam felt stuffy somehow :s-smilie:

I've never actually been to the Taylorian (despite living on the same road as one of its entrances). I've wanted to visit it for a while, but I'm sorry to hear it was the beginning of some not-very-nice-stuff. :hugs: It's great that you had a faculty library, though; if we had anything half decent in our department I'd want to use it but our building is not a place I want to spend more time than necessary. :tongue: Problem with the Rad Cam (and other university libraries) is that it's always filled with darned students!

Hope you have a great start to the new year. :hugs:
I've never actually been to the Taylorian (despite living on the same road as one of its entrances). I've wanted to visit it for a while, but I'm sorry to hear it was the beginning of some not-very-nice-stuff. :hugs: It's great that you had a faculty library, though; if we had anything half decent in our department I'd want to use it but our building is not a place I want to spend more time than necessary. :tongue: Problem with the Rad Cam (and other university libraries) is that it's always filled with darned students!

Hope you have a great start to the new year. :hugs:

It's a nice building inside so I'm not sure what went wrong there :tongue: And :console: about your building not being a great environment :frown: Exactly, just too many people for my liking :colondollar:

Same to you and your loved ones. Hopefully 2015 will be a great year for all :h:
The bod is worth going to once but, if I'm honest I don't tend to study there often. The Rad Cam as a subset of the bod isn't bad, but college libraries are the shizzle as far as I'm concerned. :biggrin: Though I can understand that as a medic you don't really need to go to libraries! In a way I don't really need to either, but since the libraries in Ox are so nice I feel bad not using them, haha. :tongue:

That's great you get to keep your room over the holidays! As you said, it makes a real difference as to whether you feel at home somewhere.

Aaah it turns out that nearly all of the libraries, including my college's, are closed until the 5th... so I'm just taking that as a sign that I shouldn't bother doing anything... :K:

I too feel like I'm not always making the most of being here but considering I have over 3 more years, I'm still in that stage where I take the Oxford-lifestyle for granted and ignore that fact that one day I'll have to leave the bubble :tongue:

The Taylorian is my closest library, I think... I've never been though! Oh I like the upper library! The booths are cute and I've found one where nobody can see me/I can't see anybody else which is great because I often end up dancing in my chair whilst listening to music. :tongue:

Happy New Year to everyone! :woo:
I was more into the Faculty library. That felt very safe.

The Music Faculty library is great. Really nice to wander over to it through ChCh Meadow, too. :yy:

On the subject of libraries, I could never understand why so many people would sit in the Radcliffe Science Library basement, instead of taking a desk in the wonderful upstairs reading areas. Even when I had 20 or so books to lug up to the 6th floor, the vastly improved surroundings more than made up for it.
Original post by BJack
The Music Faculty library is great. Really nice to wander over to it through ChCh Meadow, too. :yy:

On the subject of libraries, I could never understand why so many people would sit in the Radcliffe Science Library basement, instead of taking a desk in the wonderful upstairs reading areas. Even when I had 20 or so books to lug up to the 6th floor, the vastly improved surroundings more than made up for it.

Forestry section for the win. :cool:

The entrance is quite large and obvious if you walk into the courtyard :P Of course you could always go the cooler route, and go via the Rad Cam and then down through the gladstone link! Although by cooler I mean scary and easy to get lost in...
Been absent from here for a while, but hello and hope everybody had a great Christmas and New Year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending