The Student Room Group

If you had £25000, what would you do with it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just found some good piece of info. In India banks give a 10%-12% rate on fixed deposits. I would park my money out there, having 2500 + every year. Best way without any risks.
Reply 21
travel
Reply 22
Invest in my future by Paying my University tuition fee.
Reply 23
I would give some to my parents to say thanks for looking after me. Then I would put the rest towards uni fees and a little aside to put towards getting my first house.
Original post by Nearvan
Invest in my future by Paying my University tuition fee.

Is that really worth it though? Depending on how much you earn after you graduate you'll probably never end up having to pay it all back if you take it out as a government loan (unless you're an international student of course), so if you paid £9k a year upfront you'd probably lose out over the course of your lifetime.
Reply 25
Original post by la-dauphine
Is that really worth it though? Depending on how much you earn after you graduate you'll probably never end up having to pay it all back if you take it out as a government loan (unless you're an international student of course), so if you paid £9k a year upfront you'd probably lose out over the course of your lifetime.

Yea,I'm an international student. I dont consider £25000 enough to save. I mean 2.5k interest a year isn't much. I'd have higher chances of getting a good job after uni than relying on the interest rate. I could use it at one go per say, but lets face it, a car costs as much and i'll be going to uni. The best and most reliable investment i could make will be on myself, where i am the only determinant factor affecting the outcome of my investment. Just my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pay off a chunk of mortgage
buy many women! :biggrin:
Original post by Nearvan
Yea,I'm an international student. I dont consider £25000 enough to save. I mean 2.5k interest a year isn't much. I'd have higher chances of getting a good job after uni than relying on the interest rate. I could use it at one go per say, but lets face it, a car costs as much and i'll be going to uni. The best and most reliable investment i could make will be on myself, where i am the only determinant factor affecting the outcome of my investment. Just my opinion :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that makes sense :smile:
Original post by M1011
Money can sit in a bond until it's time to use it sensibly. These are just excuses, unless you think you'll make your fortune during university and therefore have no need for money when you graduate.

Or an annuity.

I mean, if I honestly go that much money I probably would save some of it...

But it really isn't what I want to do, so I can keep on dreaming :smile:
Original post by la-dauphine
That may well be true, but this article actually contradicts your theory that cosmetic surgery will lead to you being more appealing:

Should one strive to make more money and improve one’s appearance? As for the latter, Hamermesh said to USA Today:

“I know all the cosmetics folks and clothes folks say they can make you prettier, but the evidence for it just isn’t there,” he says, citing a 2002 study he conducted that looked at the effect of buying better clothes, hair and cosmetics.

“It doesn’t help much. Your beauty is determined to a tremendous extent by the shape of your face, by its symmetry and how everything hangs together.”

Well, I wouldn't say it really contradicts what I said - after all, I wouldn't get any surgery that would make me look worse.

"“I know all the cosmetics folks and clothes folks say they can make you prettier, but the evidence for it just isn’t there,” he says, citing a 2002 study he conducted that looked at the effect of buying better clothes, hair and cosmetics."

By cosmetics, I think they meant makeup, not cosmetic surgery.

“It doesn’t help much. Your beauty is determined to a tremendous extent by the shape of your face,"

I like my face shape though. The only things I want to change are nose, lips and chin.

Besides, I think these procedures are uncommon here, but in Asia, they really do use surgery to change facial shape!
Original post by Xamanus
Just found some good piece of info. In India banks give a 10%-12% rate on fixed deposits. I would park my money out there, having 2500 + every year. Best way without any risks.

Please observe the following graph: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=INR&to=GBP&view=5Y. The Indian Rupee has declined against the £ by about a third over the last 3 years.

One of the reasons reason India has very high interest rates is because it has very high inflation. Yes you would be getting good interest but the value of your money would be going down all the time.
Original post by trophy_duchess
How about you?

Oh, errr... not really sure. It'd be nice to have an expert to advise me on my appearance (i.e.: clothing, hair style, grooming and the like). I really don't know what I'm doing with that. I'd love to go travelling and since I always plump for spending money on other stuff instead of travelling this would be a perfect time. £5-10k on backpacking around the world. Maybe a few k on technology and then once that was all said and done then consider what would be wise from there. Quite possibly save a large chunk. Maybe help my close family and friends.
Reply 33
Original post by trophy_duchess
Well, I wouldn't say it really contradicts what I said - after all, I wouldn't get any surgery that would make me look worse.

"“I know all the cosmetics folks and clothes folks say they can make you prettier, but the evidence for it just isn’t there,” he says, citing a 2002 study he conducted that looked at the effect of buying better clothes, hair and cosmetics."

By cosmetics, I think they meant makeup, not cosmetic surgery.

“It doesn’t help much. Your beauty is determined to a tremendous extent by the shape of your face,"

I like my face shape though. The only things I want to change are nose, lips and chin.

Besides, I think these procedures are uncommon here, but in Asia, they really do use surgery to change facial shape!

25k? Not enough to make you pretty enough for a sensible wealthy man, I'm afraid.
Reply 34
Original post by jacketpotato
Please observe the following graph: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=INR&to=GBP&view=5Y. The Indian Rupee has declined against the £ by about a third over the last 3 years.

One of the reasons reason India has very high interest rates is because it has very high inflation. Yes you would be getting good interest but the value of your money would be going down all the time.

£ is stronger now. so you will get stronger value when you will convert. the INR will stronger.
Original post by Xamanus
£ is stronger now. so you will get stronger value when you will convert. the INR will stronger.

Possible, but I don't think it is likely. Inflation in India is running about 6% and rising, inflation in the UK is about 3% and falling. Generally the exchange value of currencies suffering from high inflation goes down.

Whether the gain you would get from high interest rates in India would outweigh your likely loss on exchange rates is difficult to say.
Reply 36
Put it towards buying a bigger house! I live in an apartment so to have a garden would be lovely.... :smile:
Personally, I'd buy a flat, as 25k is pretty much the amount I need (and I would get a loan for it otherwise, but cash would be great).

If I get it when I already have my flat, I'd put as much of it in an ISA as I could (although mine is full this year), £2,500 in the 5% Nationwide account I've just opened, and the rest in my Zopa.com account for 2 years.

I would love someone to just give me 25k, lol.
I would put it straight into buying a house/flat of my own. Buying a house is my current saving goal so having 25k towards what I had already saved would mean that I would have a really good % deposit and I would be able to use a bit to kit out the house how I wanted rather than living in a bit of a jumble of cheaply acquired furniture until I was able to afford to replace it later.
Reply 39
:sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending