The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I just find it contradictory that when you're older they're so big on getting a good relationship between teachers and students going, mutual respect etc-then they shove you into a pair of shorts and tshirt and force to run around kicking a ball like a 5 year old. I'm 18 years old ffs, i should be allowed to decide whether i want to or not.

its not that i hate exercise, i just found the PE department in my school completely tyrannic and unhelpful. We weren't allowed to wear sports joggers, it had to be shorts- completely ridiculous and pointless rule.

i liked it in primary when i enjoyed games and whatever but i think im old enough to decide whether i want to exercise or not.

saying that, i haven't been to a PE class all year, i always get away with dogging it :teehee:
(edited 10 years ago)
I had such a bad experience with the teachers teaching PE that I just grew a massive hate to the idea. I am now really active but at the time I just didn't see the point :no:
Reply 22
Loved it! I played in the rugby team all the way through high school and even got the chance to jump up a few year groups on game day sometimes. I played in pretty much every team (except football because i'm pants at it) and even gave athletics a good go.

I think it was mainly because I quite enjoyed being active and so I put in a lot of effort into anything I did. I think this was seen by the PE teachers who then were pretty friendly/supportive of me. On the other hand, I saw some people in my year who weren't really into PE and as a result they got a lot of stick from the teachers.

All in all - perhaps some more flexibility with the sports available would help encourage those who aren't so interested in the old fashioned compulsory sports.
It was a sort of growing hatred for me throughout school. In y7, there was one teacher who seemed to recognise the fact that although I was useless at team sports, or anything involving a ball, i could run- and she was fine with that. Then she left and we got some horrible teachers who couldn't tell the difference between generally being rubbish at sport, and not putting any effort in. So when in y10 or 11 they split the class into groups that "tried" and those that didn't, and proceeded to yell at the latter about how we should be making an effort to stay healthy, i gave up. I'd have much preferred to spend all PE lessons running laps of the field, but instead we got shouted at for not like hockey and netball...
I think part of the reason for it is that pe teachers will be the people who were naturally good at sports at school, and so the only reason they can find for why someone else isn't good at it, is that they can't be bothered...
Reply 24
I have a huge problem with PE; no it's not because "I'm fat" (I'm not), I just think it's another excuse for the nanny state to intrude into other people's lives.

I think it is possibly the most patronising subject on the school curriculum. If you're not performing to the best of your ability (:rolleyes: unless you want a career in sport, I would prefer to put effort into my studies) the teacher says crap like you "need" to run 4 lengths otherwise "you're letting the team down". When actually their quality of life is not affected if someone doesn't want to participate in PE, so let them opt out and leave the keen sports players there.

It's extremely paternalistic (i.e. government knows best) and increases the public sector, even though I despised PE with every fibre of my being, I was still active in my spare time. I believe some encouragement is acceptable (i.e. posters or adverts), but there comes a time when encouragement becomes force (as it's compulsory). Yes, you can get notes to excuse you, but the teachers become suspicious and then they would contact heads of years.

I actually don't have a problem with competitive sports players, it's good to see people excel in their field. But do not for one minute assume that everyone wants to be a sportsman or sportswoman, it's a recipe for disaster. So if you're worried about someone slowing you down, if PE was optional, they wouldn't be in the team in the first place, so it's a win-win.

After school sports club are fine, they are good for increasing choice. Again, not everyone is interested in collective sport, and just because they don't go along to netball or football, it doesn't mean they're unfit or inactive it means they have different preferences to you.

Encouragement is fine but forcing people to do those things is not right and undermines any value you're taught as a child (i.e. you can't be forced to do anything you don't want to do).

/end :rant:

In essence, basic forms of encouragement are fine (i.e. posters or adverts), but if we get even more patronising government officials or aggressive PE teachers telling us what we must do in order to be active or be part of a team, I will not be happy. Let sport recommend itself on its own merits and if the thought of PE makes someone feel sick with nerves, let them opt out.
Reply 25
Original post by deedee123
I just find it contradictory that when you're older they're so big on getting a good relationship between teachers and students going, mutual respect etc-then they shove you into a pair of shorts and tshirt and force to run around kicking a ball like a 5 year old. I'm 18 years old ffs, i should be allowed to decide whether i want to or not.

its not that i hate exercise, i just found the PE department in my school completely tyrannic and unhelpful. We weren't allowed to wear sports joggers, it had to be shorts- completely ridiculous and pointless rule.

i liked it in primary when i enjoyed games and whatever but i think im old enough to decide whether i want to exercise or not.

saying that, i haven't been to a PE class all year, i always get away with dogging it :teehee:

My views in a nutshell, you're completely right about it being tyrannic. If you think about it, if an overweight teenager stops going to PE lessons (which I think is fine, it's his/her choice), I bet at one point he/she will realise that they probably should become more active. Then they will do it off their own back without the school (or government) telling them what to do to reach targets.
Reply 26
Come to think of it, this is the one policy of the so-called Conservative led government I really dislike. They're supposed to advocate getting the state off our backs, now they release this tripe? It sounds like a New Labour policy, not for a party encouraging personal freedom and liberty.
Original post by Kallisto
Yes, I can. I can imagine that you thought you was in the army. I wonder how she became a teacher and why she left the army. Was she just in compulsory military service or was she really employed in the army?

Haha, but my mum is actually really good friends with some of her relatives that's how I found out she was in the army. What she did exactly and why she decided to become a teacher I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm sure there have been weirder career changes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zomo
The Government has launched an inquiry into school sports, with the aim of figuring out how to keep the enthusiasm around London 2012 alive...

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/school-sports-following-london-2012/

If you still participate in school sports, how do you feel about it? What's great about it, and what could be changed/improved?

If you've left school (like me), how did you feel about it? Did you constantly fake illness and have unsupportive teachers (like me) or did you love it?

NB: There's also twitter conversation going on with the #schoolsports hashtag.

Hated them, it wasn't proper sport, it was the popular kids using it as a way to insult the other kids. The teachers would turn a blind eye because these were brilliant atheletes who would bring them ****ty gold coloured trophies to stick in some decrepid cabinet on the wall to bring a false sense of superiority. I used to fake illnesses all the time. In fact my mum was on my side and would write me notes haha.

In the end I just stopped going to class.
Original post by tegami
I hate PE with all my being. It is literally like public humiliation. I am honestly the most uncoordinated person in the whole world.

What I don't understand is why I get put through this living hell twice a week when the overweight people always manage to get out of it somehow. Isn't the whole purpose of doing PE to help stop obesity?!

Yeah I'm clumsy and I am really bendy so PE was always horrible for me. The thing I don't get is, if someone has a stammer, you wouldn't make them read in front of the whole class, right? Because that would be horrible. So why the **** do you make the kids who aren't any good at it do PE in front of everyone knowing they're going to get the **** ripped out of them?

I agree with everything here but I'm curious what crappy school/6th form makes you do pe at 18.

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah I'm clumsy and I am really bendy so PE was always horrible for me. The thing I don't get is, if someone has a stammer, you wouldn't make them read in front of the whole class, right? Because that would be horrible. So why the **** do you make the kids who aren't any good at it do PE in front of everyone knowing they're going to get the **** ripped out of them?

I actually had an English/Drama teacher who made a friend of mine with a stammer do reading every single week. I made the same argument and was told that you will get better at both if you are forced to practise. 10 years latter he still stammers so clearly the three of us are right.
Original post by curtis871
I agree with everything here but I'm curious what crappy school/6th form makes you do pe at 18.

I actually had an English/Drama teacher who made a friend of mine with a stammer do reading every single week. I made the same argument and was told that you will get better at both if you are forced to practise. 10 years latter he still stammers so clearly the three of us are right.

Yeah, it doesn't matter how many times you try to bully/humiliate someone, some people just aren't good at it. You won't turn me into a sportsman by making me a laughing stock. You might crush my self esteem, confidence and cause me to have an anxiety disorder. :rolleyes:

Schools need to realise everyone is different and praise them for what they can do instead of making them feel ****
Original post by Zomo
The Government has launched an inquiry into school sports, with the aim of figuring out how to keep the enthusiasm around London 2012 alive...

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/education-committee/inquiries/parliament-2010/school-sports-following-london-2012/

If you still participate in school sports, how do you feel about it? What's great about it, and what could be changed/improved?

If you've left school (like me), how did you feel about it? Did you constantly fake illness and have unsupportive teachers (like me) or did you love it?

I absolutely hated PE at school. I felt that even though they separated us in to different groups, the ones that had potential, were treated a bit better,and *some* of the teacher's weren't very supportive, no.

I actually prefferred PE when it was taught without PE instructors ie: in year 10/11, we had biology teachers take us to do some bowling, and some people went to the gym as well

Outside of school, I go to the gym a LOT, but I've never really liked PE, and I reckon a lot of it is down to a) me not being particularly good at sport b) Not really getting the same support since primary school, like other kids did (At primary school, it was more the kids, than the teachers) ie: being picked last, or second to last all the time

At the gym, I talk to literally every one, I do a workout, and I can go at my own pace. This wasn't the case for PE lessons
Reply 33
Original post by Zomo

Original post by OL1V3R
I personally didn't like PE at school (but that could be partly due to my lack of fitness) because, up to a point, it wasn't very flexible in what people could do and it only really seemed to appeal to all the lads who love football and that sort of thing. However, I enjoyed it more after Year 9 when we could choose from two options which one we wanted to do, so I was able to do indoor sports like trampolining and badminton (which I really liked).

However, I think there needs to be two subdivisions of PE in school - one towards sport, and the other one towards fitness and maintaining good general health. They failed to emphasise the latter in my school, which is a bit worrying considering how being fit is important for everyone but sport doesn't appeal to some people. If anything there should be options between sports and gyms, where students could go on treadmills etc. to keep fit.

I think this is pretty crucial. At my school, because a few of us weren't into sport and more into drama/music, we were not given much attention by the P.E. teachers who instead concentrated on the abler girls. I grew up believing that sport and fitness were a choice, as opposed to something that should be ingrained into one's lifestyle. Although I'm starting to work out at the gym/swim again, I really think that the teachers' discouragement of girls doing sport unless they were really good at it/had the potential was rather damaging.
Reply 34
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Exactly! I think the teachers don't realise that I physically can't do half the stuff they tell us to do. I'm so sick of teachers constantly getting angry with me when I can't do any better. Luckily for me, I'm on exam leave just now!
Original post by tegami
Exactly! I think the teachers don't realise that I physically can't do half the stuff they tell us to do. I'm so sick of teachers constantly getting angry with me when I can't do any better. Luckily for me, I'm on exam leave just now!

I got shouted at and told I was a "rich little princess born with a silver spoon in her mouth and just because daddy panders to every whim doesn't mean we're going to here".

I have a problem with the bones in my legs which prevents me running properly. Nothing to do with my dad's wealth, thanks. :rolleyes: I was so pissed off at that. I mean why the **** do they think they can say that?! They know nothing about me, but assume because I can't run I'm some posh pansy who's not even bothering. Idiots :mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 36
There needs to more choices available. In my school the guys mainly did either football or rugby. It would be nice if they offered more variety like gymnastics, bodyweight/gym exercises, running. There are loads of sports, some don't cost a lot but schools just don't provide them.
And even choice of uniform, why force kids to wear shorts and some lame jersy top or polo top. There needs to be more freedom and respect between the teachers and students. Let us wear tracksuit bottoms ffs
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37

I feel the same, everything felt coerced. If they offered more variety and just loosened up I think I would enjoy sports. I actually remember loving Ramadhan for one particular reason, I could tell the teacher 'I don't think I should take part in Games (we had a 2 hour thing called Games which is like PE, and then we also had PE) because I'm fasting' so this meant I could skip 4 weeks of PE and Games lol.

I enjoyed the Olympics and I think what schools should take from it is that people love variety, not everyone wants to play Rugby in the cold weather. and also people want the sort of respect you were going on about. Let kids choose what to wear within reason.
Reply 38
I hated PE so much. I just wasn't good at it and had massive self confidence issues.

I was useless at athletics and for some reason I can't jump to save my life. No matter how hard I try, I practically go nowhere so my long jumps were always pathetic. I used to get teachers who'd shout at me in front of the whole class because I jumped the shortest distance on every go. If they'd have just let me swim instead they'd have realised that I can do exercise just not jumping in a sandpit.

Also, I was always one of the larger ones in the PE classes, and having to wear shorts was horrible. I'd spend the whole lesson trying to hide at the side so that noone would see how awful I looked, so I didn't have the time to practise whatever we were doing. Once we hit year 11 and they gave up on our uniforms, I started wearing tracksuit bottoms. My confidence improved dramatically, and not surprisingly so did my level of effort and attainment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Loved it but wish we had a greater variety available for inter-schools competition.

My schools only ever played competitively against others in football and cricket for boys. Had the facilities for more, just never used. Never had the opportunity to play Rugby until university and i would have loved to have played at school level.

Latest

Trending

Trending