The Student Room Group

University/Drama School?

Hi.
I'm looking for a list of University and Drama schools which have notable actors. I'm wanting to study BA in Acting (Film/Theatre).
I'm aiming for drama school, but I know the difficulty in obtaining a place. I'm 21 and feel that if I don't get into drama school, than I would need university before its too late. Everyone seems to have different opinions on what's the best drama school/universities are. People say Drama centre/East 15 are not brilliant and really good agents don't touch it. And other people say any drama schools great and gets you noticed more. Brings me to the point, do people know what they are on about, or making up what they want LOL.

Kind regards Ian.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
In my opinion, for 'straightforward' acting in film and theatre, the better drama schools to study at would include:

RADA
LIPA
Central school of speech and drama
Guildford school of acting
Rose Bruford
Bristold Old Vic

But I suppose going to any drama school that is part of the Conference of Drama Schools (which includes East15) will do you just fine. I wouldn't judge a drama school by the success of their graduates, as it does not necessarily reflect on the quality of the teaching. Graduate actors make their own luck, and whilst drama schools allow them to learn how to be competent actors, it's how they utilise their skills in work that they find after graduating that brings them success.

As it is with all Performing Arts careers, there's a whole developmental arch a person takes after graduation that is necessary to go through in order for them to become fully fledged professionals. You don't graduate and instantly get work/become famous; you still have to work really hard to get noticed. So on that basis I would suggest choosing a course/school that suits you best in learning, not just how to act, but how to survive as an individual in the industry as well.
If you want to be an actor, then dont do a University based 'Drama' degree, go straight to Drama School and do an Acting course.

Only a Drama School will give you the professional skills you need to become performer, and only a Drama School training will get you taken seriously within the profession.

Make sure it is an established, recognised Drama School - there are numerous 'pretend' schools out there with no professional reputation that will just take your money. See http://www.dramauk.co.uk/courses?level=Undergraduate&course_type=25&institution=&course=&location=&location_lat=&location_lng=&sort=Best+Match&per_page=50&only_accredited=1&only_recognised=1 for courses that are accredited and therefore recognised by the theatre profession.

Quick Reply

Latest