The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do some people have a problem with gay people?

Poll

Do you have a problem with gay people?

I don't care if you do or not but it would be good to know why? I will put a poll up in case you don't want to say. Or what would you do if one of your friends came out gay? Would it make you feel uncomfortable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by geeky21
I don't care if you do or not but it would be good to know why? I will put a poll up in case you don't want to say. Or what would you do if one of your friends came out gay? Would it make you feel uncomfortable?

I have no problem with it, I think its ridiculous that anyone should have a problem with it. Its very old fashioned to think like that, in my opinion. One of my best friends is gay and he's great. Love him to pieces and wouldn't change him for the world! Its just sexual orientation, i believe you can't help who you are attracted to. Homosexuallity shouldn't be a big deal in this day and age :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by AB25
I have no problem with it, I think its ridiculous that anyone should have a problem with it. Its very old fashioned to think like that, in my opinion. One of my best friends is gay and he's great. Love him to pieces and wouldn't change him for the world! Its just sexual orientation, i believe you can't help who you are attracted to. Homosexuallity shouldn't be a big deal in this day and age :smile:

I know. I don't get what thoughts people have in there mind when they act all homophobic.
Reply 3
Very few people do.

Welcome to the twenty first century.
Moved this to society, to answer the question I don't have a problem with gay people, I have many friends who are gay and they are awesome people.
Reply 5
Original post by zeropoint
Very few people do.

Welcome to the twenty first century.

Original post by Rock Fan
Moved this to society, to answer the question I don't have a problem with gay people, I have many friends who are gay and they are awesome people.

Would you say most people have a problem with it or some? 80%?
I have no objection to day people and like AB25 homoseexuality shouldn't be a big deal now as we are more educated and should accept it. It is stupid to be prejudice against people who are simply being them selves in the case of men or women.
Original post by geeky21
Would you say most people have a problem with it or some? 80%?

There is always going to be some people in the world who have a problem with it sadly, but these days it is far more widely accepted if you are gay and so that person should be accepted, sexuality should never be an issue. But as I said always some who will have a problem.
Reply 8
Original post by AlexandrTheGreat
Because they're insecure dinosaurs. Because they're often unsure about their own sexuality. Or they're unlucky with the opposite sex and so take their frustrations out on gay people.

Usually, because they're ****ty people.

And frankly, I find far more homophobia exists on TSR than in the real world. Basement-dwelling losers who haven't even left secondary school think their views are more common than they happen to be in the real world.

lol so true
Why do some people have problems with people who have a problem with gay people? :tongue:
Reply 10
Simple. It's different. It goes against many of peoples intuitive ideas of what human beings are like. To be gay is to be by definition deviant from the norm (and I'm by no means saying this is a bad thing before anybody starts).
Original post by geeky21

why did you put a poll up then? I don't have a problem with them. I'd probably be surprised if one of my friends came out as gay but i i wouldn't stop being friends with them.

People don't like stuff that isn't normal, just like they don't like people with 20 pound tumours on their face, and people think its against their religion.
Reply 12
Original post by limetang
Simple. It's different. It goes against many of peoples intuitive ideas of what human beings are like. To be gay is to be by definition deviant from the norm (and I'm by no means saying this is a bad thing before anybody starts).

I suppose I get what you mean but why is it bad to be not normal, its not like we are anti-social. Fair enough though.
Original post by deedee123

People don't like stuff that isn't normal, just like they don't like people with 20 pound tumours on their face, and people think its against their religion.

You can't be ****ing serious. Being gay is like having a 20 pound tumour on your face? Seriously?
Original post by MostUncivilised
You can't be ****ing serious. Being gay is like having a 20 pound tumour on your face? Seriously?

In some peoples eyes, its probably worse.

why am i getting negged for this? I didn't say i believed it was. I assumed people realised the extent of some peoples homophobia.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by geeky21
Why do some people have a problem with gay people?

1) Ignorance 2) Education 3) Society and external pressures 4) Fear 5) Religion.

I 100% support rights for all people, including gays.
Reply 16
why did you put a poll up then? I don't have a problem with them. I'd probably be surprised if one of my friends came out as gay but i i wouldn't stop being friends with them.

:smile:
In some peoples eyes, its probably worse.

Some people are idiots. Why should we care what they think?
Reply 18
I dont have problems with gays, Ill talk to them, sit with the, be friends with them etc

What does annoy me however, is how they think nobody is entitled to be against them. If somebody says "I dont like gays, they are against God" I think its disgusting how they will be on this persons case for stating their opinion. Surely, just as much as they are entitled to be gay, someone else is entitled to have their opinion, albeit rude, of homosexuals.
Reply 19
Original post by geeky21
I suppose I get what you mean but why is it bad to be not normal, its not like we are anti-social. Fair enough though.

I'm not saying it's bad to not be normal (although it should be pointed out that it's by no means inherently good either). I'm just saying that that's how it is. People often react badly to things that go against the norm.

Homophobia is NOT a good thing. But a good amount of the reason for it's existence in my opinion is because of this.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending