The Student Room Group

Is it possible to be raped in a dream and be traumatised in real life?

If so do you know anyone this had happened to?
Reply 1
Yes and no.

Next question!
Reply 2
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
Yes and no.

Next question!

What?
Reply 3
Original post by geeky21
What?

Yes, it is possible to be raped in a dream and be traumatised in real life.

No, I don't know anyone this had happened to.

Keep them coming.
I don't know anyone it's happened to ... but yes, what we dream (and think) can disturb us greatly. If someone dreamt about something traumatising like this it's entirely possible that they would suffer some of the consequences of real rape victims.
Reply 5
In my counselling lesson my tutor said dreams like that is likely your subconscious feeling threatened by something in the future; say you are undergoing changes in your life; all people in your dream are actually parts of YOU even if its represented by someone you know in real life.
I think it is possible to be traumatised by it because apparently the brain barely distinguishes fantasy from reality.
I've had dreams like that before and yes they are very horrible but don't look too much into it.
Reply 6
I've never been raped in real life - but I have in a dream, and it was one of a number of events that sparked a bad spell of depression for me a couple of years back. Recovered now but not sure how I'd react if it happened again so yes, I was pretty traumatised by it.
Reply 7
I got raped in a dream. I was more embarrassed than traumatised that I'd have such a dream... Err... I'm embarrassed I shared this.
It would be pretty pathetic to be traumatised by a dream.
I once had a dream where I fell asleep and was dreaming about dreaming and then when I woke up I was traumatised

Quick Reply

Latest